Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people want in 2020 Outback in terms of technology, features, and interior design? IMO, Subaru features are barely keeping up with other vehicles,

I for one would see Subaru really improve the NVH qualities and interior of the next Outback. I am using my daughter's 2017 Audi Q7 as an aspirational goal. I know, hard to do at Subaru's price point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
2020 Outback

What features are you missing? There aren’t many affordable high riding wagons on the market.

Toyota doesn’t even have CarPlay...
Toyota, Honda, Etc awd is crap in comparison...
And more.

Audi is a different market segment... you want Audi plushness... Benz and Volvo have a lot of options for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What features are you missing? There aren’t many affordable high riding wagons on the market.

Toyota doesn’t even have CarPlay...
Toyota, Honda, Etc awd is crap in comparison...
And more.

Audi is a different market segment... you want Audi plushness... Benz and Volvo have a lot of options for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
front view camera, parking assistance, rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, better NVH control and much better interior lighting. Infotainment systems that work, Better interior storage. I stated Audi interiors as aspirational, as in to strive for.

Yes, several Volvo models are on my radar. Not Mercedes. The new Buick regal Tour x is a bit plusher, but not being considered for several reasons.

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
front view camera, parking assistance, rain sensing wipers, ventilated seats, better NVH control and much better interior lighting. Infotainment systems that work, Better interior storage. I stated Audi interiors as aspirational, as in to strive for.
And the models that contain all of that for roughly the same price are?

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

Yes, several Volvo models are on my radar. Not Mercedes. The new Buick regal Tour x is a bit plusher, but not being considered for several reasons.
That wish list puts the OB in a whole new price point. Probably where one starts considering Infiniti, Lexus, Audi, etc.

Reactions: jakemccoy

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That wish list puts the OB in a whole new price point. Probably where one starts considering Infiniti, Lexus, Audi, etc.
Perhaps, but most of these items are on the 2019 Ascent. I am sure some will be offered on the 2020 OB.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,383 Posts
[snark warning]

Yup pretty much everything mentioned thusfar are things I would NOT want on a car.

I don't want rain sensing wipers, touchscreen things, extra cameras, etc etc etc. All that means to me is more expensive repairs down the road or getting rid of a vehicle due to many issues.

I want a car, not a smartphone on wheels. And yes, I still have a flip phone by choice in my mid thirties.

I am the antithesis of the modern autobuyer, I know. I want a simple, utilitarian vehicle that I don't hate driving.

What do I want? An actual AWD station wagon again, not a CUV/SUV. A wagon.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,067 Posts

You get most of that on the new Ascent so I assume the next OB will get them

·
Registered
85 Posts
[snark warning]

Yup pretty much everything mentioned thusfar are things I would NOT want on a car.

I don't want rain sensing wipers, touchscreen things, extra cameras, etc etc etc. All that means to me is more expensive repairs down the road or getting rid of a vehicle due to many issues.

I want a car, not a smartphone on wheels. And yes, I still have a flip phone by choice in my mid thirties.

I am the antithesis of the modern autobuyer, I know. I want a simple, utilitarian vehicle that I don't hate driving.

Your not alone.....I want simple and reliable. My 17 3.6R while nice simply had too much crap and we got the most basic Limited we could get. Whats also funny (not) is the cargo area is SMALLER and less usefull than the 1st Gen Outback!

I'd buy a new 1st Gen Outback today if I could! Sophisticatedly simple and effective AWD, comfortable, extremely versatile and repairable if something breaks. My 98 limited has all the creature comforts I need and has no squeaks or rattles, and everything works despite having a dubious past history.

My new motto is "Less is More".

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Perhaps, but most of these items are on the 2019 Ascent. I am sure some will be offered on the 2020 OB.
From what I have read they will be reserved for the touring model. Speculation is the base model will be around $35k. I would speculate the touring model will be in the $45-50k range. That opens up a whole new world of competition to Ascent buyers.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,891 Posts
[snark warning]

Agree Agree Agree!!!

They are already adding too much [email protected] to cars. I do not even carry a cellular device.

So what would I like to see.... SIMPLE, RELIABLE, TRANSPORTATION which does not cost a lot to maintain. I do not need AC, radio or any other gadgets. (Just a strong heater for Vermont winters.)

I would not mind a turbocharger with manual xMission to replace my aging Baja...even better BRING BACK THE TURBOCHARGED BAJA!!
No one else offers a small truck.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
IMO, Subaru features are barely keeping up with other vehicles...
I want them to barely keep up with others!

I do not want feature creep and inflated sticker prices. Honestly it seems like they've crept a lot recently with things like eyesight, reverse sensors, starlink and more. We still don't know how well those systems function in a well-seasoned car, and performance at that age is important to me.

Perhaps they can take this as justification for broadening the trim and feature range, or creating a ride-along luxury brand like acura, infiniti etc.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want them to barely keep up with others!

I do not want feature creep and inflated sticker prices. Honestly it seems like they've crept a lot recently with things like eyesight, reverse sensors, starlink and more. We still don't know how well those systems function in a well-seasoned car, and performance at that age is important to me.

Perhaps they can take this as justification for broadening the trim and feature range, or creating a ride-along luxury brand like acura, infiniti etc.
As an aging driver 75 years old, I want all the safety things I can get. We like technology so much of it is for fun. As for pure luxury items I can pick and choose to some extent. Also, we buy what my wife wants. :)

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
To all those that don't want the bells and whistles... just buy the base model. It won't have any of the any safety and convenience features that you don't want.

The #1 thing I want in the 2020 outback is a working head unit. That's about it, it's a really nice car otherwise as is.

As for new features, a surround view camera would be great for overly tight spots in the city. Ventilated seats aren't going to happen at this price point, but are a cool feature.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
To all those that don't want the bells and whistles... just buy the base model. It won't have any of the any safety and convenience features that you don't want.
I drive an old Limited. It has nice things like automatic HVAC, panoramic moonroof and leather seating. I like that stuff. I'm going to want it on a future replacement. I get it that they're going to package new goodies with the higher trim levels as time goes forward, and I can deal with that. I like seeing that the window sticker price vs. inflation has held a pretty flat line- and I'd really hate to see that change.

I just don't want to see them turn into another Volvo, running desperately towards the luxury market. Fortunately they have the sales volume to stave that off for now, and hopefully they'll keep it or even expand it.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Base model low 30's- 32 ish
But base model isn't going to have all the do-dads everyone is requesting to see in the 2020 OB. Those are going to be reserved for the touring.

Pricing depends on who you believe.

Car and Driver predicts the base price to be $35k.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-2018-subaru-ascent-is-a-car-worth-waiting-for-feature

Consumer Reports predicts prices to be in the $30-45k range. Must assume $45k is the Touring with all the goodies.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/subaru/ascent/2018/overview

The touring edition is going to be a whole new price point for Subaru.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
184 Posts
Bring back the turbo four cylinder and the manual transmission. Make eyesight work with a manual (actuators to disengage the clutch and/or shift into neutral for emergency stops). Not sure how they would make the adaptive cruise work when speeds change outside what is ideal for the gear the vehicle is in. People smarter than me will probably make alarms sound and lights flash telling the driver cruise turned off and they need to take over.

If they can pull this wish list off, I expect them to sell dozens a year! Which is why the manual went away in the US market...

1 - 20 of 306 Posts