Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recs for wheels/tires and sizes for the new 2020 Outback Onyx? I’m having a hard time finding ones that would work without a lift.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
57 Posts
I think the fitment should be the same as the Gen 5 2015-2019 OB, so just search for those years and it should be the same 17" and 18" wheel options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope I am not high-jacking this forum, but I have a couple of basic tire questions. I just got a new 2020 Outback Premium - 2.5L engine. The stock tires are Yokohama Avid GT, 225/65 R17.
My driving is 85% in town - but it's a small town so not a lot of stop and go - just a lot of driving 35 to 50 MPH. I know very little about tires. In another thread on this forum I read that these tires are not very good - which I understand because that's a big savings for Subaru. Can anyone tell me what mileage I can expect to get on these tires?

Also, as I said I know little to nothing about wheels/tires, so - as you get the larger wheel offerings on a 2020 Outback what are the advantages? I don't drive fast or aggressively if that is important.
Thanks!
Tarheel

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
68 Posts
I think the fitment should be the same as the Gen 5 2015-2019 OB, so just search for those years and it should be the same 17" and 18" wheel options.
I'd love to know if this was true—if it was, I could comfortably make my winter tire/wheel purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope I am not high-jacking this forum, but I have a couple of basic tire questions. I just got a new 2020 Outback Premium - 2.5L engine. The stock tires are Yokohama Avid GT, 225/65 R17.
My driving is 85% in town - but it's a small town so not a lot of stop and go - just a lot of driving 35 to 50 MPH. I know very little about tires. In another thread on this forum I read that these tires are not very good - which I understand because that's a big savings for Subaru. Can anyone tell me what mileage I can expect to get on these tires?

Also, as I said I know little to nothing about wheels/tires, so - as you get the larger wheel offerings on a 2020 Outback what are the advantages? I don't drive fast or aggressively if that is important.
Thanks!
Tarheel
Definitely not hijacking the thread from my perspective. I also have a new Onyx and it came with the Yokohama Avid GT tires. I live in a mountain town (McCall, Idaho) with lots of snow. The dealer was in the valley below without so much snow. I tried to get the Avid GT all-seasons swapped out for winter tires when I purchased, but the dealer talked me out of it. He said all seasons would be fine even where I live (because of Outback's superior traction capabilities) and that I should at least try them for this first winter. Further research (here and elsewhere) tells me I would be much better off with dedicated snow tires (although the first year on an all-season tire will be it's best). So I, too, am interested in any thoughts from others.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,770 Posts
Definitely not hijacking the thread from my perspective. I also have a new Onyx and it came with the Yokohama Avid GT tires. I live in a mountain town (McCall, Idaho) with lots of snow. The dealer was in the valley below without so much snow. I tried to get the Avid GT all-seasons swapped out for winter tires when I purchased, but the dealer talked me out of it. He said all seasons would be fine even where I live (because of Outback's superior traction capabilities) and that I should at least try them for this first winter. Further research (here and elsewhere) tells me I would be much better off with dedicated snow tires (although the first year on an all-season tire will be it's best). So I, too, am interested in any thoughts from others.
Dealers repeat the same things to all customers, its easy and it sells cars, particularly AWD vs. front wheel drive.

where I live, I run studded snows on my winter daily driver subaru.
people with subarus without snows stay home on "bad" winter days,...and I just got work at half speed,...but still go.
...I kind of need them everyday though: with new precip / thawing and refreezing giving some black ice. (and you can find cars in the ditch any time).

and dedicated snows make the all seasons last for a long long long time, as they are never being pushed into work they were not made for. (saving your life in tough conditions)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
57 Posts
Dealers repeat the same things to all customers, its easy and it sells cars, particularly AWD vs. front wheel drive.

where I live, I run studded snows on my winter daily driver subaru.
people with subarus without snows stay home in on bad winter days.
...I kind of need them everyday though: with new precip / thawing and refreezing giving some black ice. (and you can find cars in the ditch any time).

and dedicated snows make the all seasons last for a long long long time, as they are never being pushed into work they were not made for. (saving your life in tough conditions)
Your dealer is a moron. Ask them how AWD will help you stop. It won’t. Do accidents happen from lack of traction or lack of ability to accelerate? It’s almost always lack of stopping power.

You live in a mountain town, either get winter tires for winter—which is by far the best option, or at least swap the stock tires for A/T tires with the 3PMSF designation. It will be more than worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried or look at Nokian WRG4 All weather tires(225/60R/18), about to purchase these tires as i have seen many good reviews on the web.

BTW i live in the pacific north west(Canada Side). Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
44 Posts
I resisted getting winter tires for a long time, but I'm very glad I got them. They make a huge difference in snow/ice conditions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Remember if you plan on driving into Canada they don’t allow studded tires around 15 years ago I was refused entry into Quebec province. i had to change my vacation before I got there and went to Maine instead.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,770 Posts
Remember if you plan on driving into Canada they don’t allow studded tires around 15 years ago I was refused entry into Quebec province. i had to change my vacation before I got there and went to Maine instead.
this is just one of the sites I found that has dates for studded tires in canada by province:

In new york state I can have them on from Oct 15 to April 30th. (and just put them on last week)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Decided not to do powder coating. Figured to buy an Onyx set, use one of my Limited wheels for a spare after powder coating. So now looking for someone selling Onyx Wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok so buying a set off someone including spare. Should I have the tires I have on my new outback (110 miles) transferred to the onyx wheels or just leave the tires that are coming with them (2150 miles)? Also what insert will be needed in the spare tire well? Thanks .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts