Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All current and future owners of the 2020 outbacks with lane centering function MUST read pages 71 to 81 in the EyeSight Owners Manual.
There are many warnings about this function that you should absolutely be aware of. After bringing up some issues about the function with my dealership, they are now instructing all sales people to bring these warnings to customers’ attention.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
Bwhahaha. More warnings than in a chain-saw manual.

My '18 came with that version of Eyesight, and I bought the car because it was available and had other things I wanted, not for Eyesight. Now, I put up with it and remind myself that some day it will add to the car's resale value. But putting up with it is something of a pain most of the time. I'm sure glad that the '18 version doesn't have this cluster^%$# as part of its system.

The performance of Lane Centering Function may not be optimal under the following conditions. In addition, Lane Centering Function may not operate or the operation may be canceled.
- A winter tire or a tire other than a genuine SUBARU tire is used.
WFT is a "genuine Subaru tire"? Is Subaru going into the rubber business? HPH

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R
12 Posts
Bwhahaha. More warnings than in a chain-saw manual.

My '18 came with that version of Eyesight, and I bought the car because it was available and had other things I wanted, not for Eyesight. Now, I put up with it and remind myself that some day it will add to the car's resale value. But putting up with it is something of a pain most of the time. I'm sure glad that the '18 version doesn't have this cluster^%$# as part of its system.

WFT is a "genuine Subaru tire"? Is Subaru going into the rubber business? HPH
Why do we need a computer to tell us how to drive? The better computer is between our ears if we would just learn how to use it !!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but I don't see any need for alarm or concern. All the nanny's that are part of eyesight should be used as nothing more than reminders and not relied upon to control the vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
248 Posts
Despite the warnings, I have found LKA and lane centering superior in the 2020 Outback than in the 2019 (which only had LKA), although the 2019 had a great system too. Honda's execution of lane centering is smoother and more consistent than Subaru's, but Subaru's isn't bad. These are the only two brands I have a lot of experience with using their respective versions of driver assistance.

What I like about the 2020 Outback is despite the warnings about not using it on city streets, it actually works quite well all the way down to zero mph, and even works when only one or even no lane lines are visible (if it is tracking the car ahead). As an example, on the freeway in the right hand lane and approaching an exit, our 19 would usually try to take the exit whereas our 20 consistently stays in its lane and ignores the line on the right drifting away on the off ramp.

Regardless of how good the system is, it's not a substitute for driver attention and it's not like Cadillac's super cruise or Tesla's self driving. Still, it's a good system and worth having. We leave LKA on all the time and use lane centering most of the time. Sometimes when LC starts to feel a little squirrelly or tries to get closer to someone in the next lane than we are comfortable with, we just click it off with the bottom right button on the steering wheel.

Biggest "flaw" with lane centering is it doesn't like to be overridden. If you apply too much pressure on the wheel and then release it, the system will overcorrect and jerk in the opposite direction. Much better if you feel yourself wanting to override it to just click it off as described above, results in a much smoother transition from assisted driving to normal driving.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
36 Posts
Despite the warnings, I have found LKA and lane centering superior in the 2020 Outback than in the 2019 (which only had LKA), although the 2019 had a great system too. Honda's execution of lane centering is smoother and more consistent than Subaru's, but Subaru's isn't bad. These are the only two brands I have a lot of experience with using their respective versions of driver assistance.

What I like about the 2020 Outback is despite the warnings about not using it on city streets, it actually works quite well all the way down to zero mph, and even works when only one or even no lane lines are visible (if it is tracking the car ahead). As an example, on the freeway in the right hand lane and approaching an exit, our 19 would usually try to take the exit whereas our 20 consistently stays in its lane and ignores the line on the right drifting away on the off ramp.

Regardless of how good the system is, it's not a substitute for driver attention and it's not like Cadillac's super cruise or Tesla's self driving. Still, it's a good system and worth having. We leave LKA on all the time and use lane centering most of the time. Sometimes when LC starts to feel a little squirrelly or tries to get closer to someone in the next lane than we are comfortable with, we just click it off with the bottom right button on the steering wheel.

Biggest "flaw" with lane centering is it doesn't like to be overridden. If you apply too much pressure on the wheel and then release it, the system will overcorrect and jerk in the opposite direction. Much better if you feel yourself wanting to override it to just click it off as described above, results in a much smoother transition from assisted driving to normal driving.
I couldn't agree more. This whole system is why we upgraded to a 2020 from our 2017 which wasn't equipped with Eyesight.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
8 Posts
Ours has warning chimes whenever the lines are faded or covered with snow (pretty often this time of year). Can't help thinking that those warnings are going to become un-noticed background noise. Then a REAL warning about running off the road will be that easy to ignore.

Is it time for people to step up and actually take responsibility for aiming their car properly down the road?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
248 Posts
WIth our 19 in this situation it would beep with no visible warning so you just had to know the LKA was dropping off. Similar situation in our 20 it beeps, flashes a warning in the center display between the tach and speedometer, and flashes warning lights in the HUD. As JimBlake said, ultimately it's up to the driver to take responsibility and drive the car. LKA and now LC is certainly better in the 20 than in the 19, not perfect yet but definitely better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts