Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 outback 2.5L and I am not sure what it is called but when I come to a stop the engine turns off to save fuel I believe it’s called the “ass” but I could be mistaken. But after the system restarts the engine and I start to accelerate there is a high pitch whine/screech which persists for a varied amount of time. Typically when I stop accelerating the sound stops and doesn’t come back until the system reengages. On occasion there is the sound when the system engages/ shuts off the engine . Has any one else experienced this issue or have a suggestion? The weather has started to get colder where I live 40s at night 60-70s during the day. Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,296 Posts
If there is a high pitch whine/screech when you start to accelerate, it's not normal, and something you should take to the dealer for diagnosis. If it's an intermittent/inconsistent problem it would be helpful to capture it on video so that the service department can see/hear for themselves what you're talking about. Ideally you'd be taking video that also shows the gauge cluster while recording audio, that way they can see what RPM it's happening at, and visibly see the engine re-start sequence, etc.

I just realized that you posted this in the towing section - does this only happen when you're towing? Still recommend taking it to the dealer, but if you're towing that's an important tidbit. The worst-case scenario is that your CVT chain is slipping.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,258 Posts
On occasion there is the sound when the system engages/ shuts off the engine
You sometimes hear this noise when the engine has shut off?? That would suggest something totally unrelated to the engine, such as interference on the radio, a heater/ac blower fan. Make sure the tach is showing zero rpm's, based on quoted comment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It happens when the car goes into and out of the fuel saving mode feature when coming to a red light or stop in traffic. I agree it’s not a normal sound just didn’t know if anyone had any ideas what it could be and how serious it was seeing as it’s the holiday weekend and doubt a dealer would be able to see the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there is a high pitch whine/screech when you start to accelerate, it's not normal, and something you should take to the dealer for diagnosis. If it's an intermittent/inconsistent problem it would be helpful to capture it on video so that the service department can see/hear for themselves what you're talking about. Ideally you'd be taking video that also shows the gauge cluster while recording audio, that way they can see what RPM it's happening at, and visibly see the engine re-start sequence, etc.

I just realized that you posted this in the towing section - does this only happen when you're towing? Still recommend taking it to the dealer, but if you're towing that's an important tidbit. The worst-case scenario is that your CVT chain is slipping.
Not when towing just new to the forum and messed up when posting

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,296 Posts
Ok - no worries about where it's posted. Hoping you find a resolution and feel free to reach out if you have further concerns about the noise or how the dealership is handling it.

I don't think it's catastrophic in terms of leaving you stranded in the next couple of days, but if it's a transmission problem you should try to get it to the dealer as soon as it's practical.

Reactions: exploremoar
1 - 7 of 7 Posts