Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my second Outback, previous was a 2016 that also had Eyesight. This morning at an intersection in the dark, I took a right turn on a green arrow to enter a highway on ramp fairly well behind the person in front of me. Suddenly the brake assist activated and the car slammed the brakes. Needless to say, it surprised me and the person behind me was honking, understandably, as there was no reason for me to stop. I called the dealer, and they were completely unhelpful - they didn’t even know how to turn off Eyesight on the 2020 (I figured it out). I don’t trust the car or Eyesight right now. What if this had occurred at a higher speed, or the person behind couldn’t stop fast enough. The dealer‘s response was, we would have to replicate the problem. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas other than disabling Eyesight every time I turn the car on? In looking thru the forums I see where a few people have said exhaust clouds might cause this. It was dark, but I think I would have noticed a lot of exhaust from that car who had gone ahead of me. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,261 Posts
contact SOA, maybe a Regional Rep can at least confirm you have latest program updats.

Dealers have little incntive to work on odd/intermittent problems without assurance from SOA they will get paid. It IS disconcerting they couldn't explain how to disable a major system.

You might also consider filing a report at NHTSA.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
701 Posts
Evergreen80,

I've had a similar experience when a flock of crows on the side of the road decided at the last moment to fly away, and one flew windshield high across the front of the car some 10 feet in front. Eyesight slammed the brakes on momentarily and then released them.

It caught my attention but it was no big deal.

As for your experience ... I'd keep the eyesight on to see if it ever replicated the same situation. If it did, then I'd be disabling it and go after Subaru for a fix.

As it stands now .. its like those people who say, "I never wear a seat belt because I might end up in a water filled ditch and drown because I couldn't get the belt off:. How many people have drowned in such a situation? Now, what is the number of people you've heard of that died in a crash because they were ejected from the car because they didn't wear a seat belt?

Seems to me one would be better off with the Eyesight on, unless you know for sure that its defective in your car. But its your call to make, not mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts