Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum using the advanced search function before I posted this. I see people have asked in the past if the new 2020 outback would support a roof tent. Everybody is saying the manual says no “which it does” but every other model excluding the legacy but including the Impreza can have a roof tent. even the GEN five outback could have a roof tent. I was wondering if anybody who has a 2020 outback has put a roof tent on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure but here it is. I don't know enough to tell the difference between the 19 and 20 from this view.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
1,354 Posts
Def a 2020. you can tell by the roof rack tie points, which didn't exist before 2020.
Am I the only one that thinks its hilarious that a dealer has a tent on a car that specifically says don't use roof tents?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,387 Posts
The dealers are reading the manual and deliberately defying it. I have not seen so many rooftop tents in showrooms for any other car ever. By the way, I have similar pics:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Def a 2020. you can tell by the roof rack tie points, which didn't exist before 2020.
Am I the only one that thinks its hilarious that a dealer has a tent on a car that specifically says don't use roof tents?

View attachment 474956
Interesting, are you sure? The wheels look like pre-2020 wheels. But I'm far from an expert.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@seinberg it’s definitely a 2020. You can tell by the cladding over the wheels and the outback name has been moved to the rear doors instead of the front

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Ah, you guys are much sharper eyed than me :) actually glad to see/hear it is a 2020! Maybe Subaru will be reasonable with all these dealers just doing it anyway

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
83 Posts
I'm curious, what are the advantages of a roof tent over a traditional tent?
Seems like it would be hard to set up and freeze usage of the vehicle once it is up.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
I'm curious, what are the advantages of a roof tent over a traditional tent?
Seems like it would be hard to set up and freeze usage of the vehicle once it is up.
Yeah, the main disadvantages are that the vehicle is stuck in place while the tent is up, and that you lose potentially valuable cargo space. They're also very expensive relative to traditional tents.

The main advantages are how easy it is to setup - many are just 5-10 seconds. Open the roof tent box and extend the ladder and voila, it's setup. It's also generally quite comfortable since you're guaranteed a flat sleeping surface. And it's typically much cleaner, with the ladder acting as a forcing function to get leaves and grime from your shoes before entering. The final one I can think of off the top of my head is that you're up off the ground and thus can't get flooded if a big rain comes and little varmints aren't going to bug you while you're sleeping.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Yeah, the main disadvantages are that the vehicle is stuck in place while the tent is up, and that you lose potentially valuable cargo space. They're also very expensive relative to traditional tents.

The main advantages are how easy it is to setup - many are just 5-10 seconds. Open the roof tent box and extend the ladder and voila, it's setup. It's also generally quite comfortable since you're guaranteed a flat sleeping surface. And it's typically much cleaner, with the ladder acting as a forcing function to get leaves and grime from your shoes before entering. The final one I can think of off the top of my head is that you're up off the ground and thus can't get flooded if a big rain comes and little varmints aren't going to bug you while you're sleeping.
Regarding varmints in the desert, a rooftop tent is less likely to be visited by scorpions, especially if you make parts of the ladder too slick for scorpions. Plus, the higher elevation is cooler and more comforting.

(There are disadvantages, but the question was asking for advantages.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan on calling the dealership in California and finding out what their thoughts are. I’ll make it a point to point out that the manual specifically says no roof tents

1 - 20 of 53 Posts