Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cannot figure out how to change the temperature and heated seat settings on the mysubaru app (Android). I click on Adjust Climate & Delay Settings, make a change, and don't see a "save" option. I back out to the main screen and the changes are not saved.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,447 Posts
I cannot figure out how to change the temperature and heated seat settings on the mysubaru app (Android). I click on Adjust Climate & Delay Settings, make a change, and don't see a "save" option. I back out to the main screen and the changes are not saved.
On mine, I have to start the car with a particular setting for it to stick in the app. In other words, the app remembers your last start settings.

·
Registered
2020 OB LTD
3 Posts
The original post about Starlink remote start is fantastic. My wife and I each have 2020 OBs, hers is red and mine is blue.
I wanted to get Security Plus for both, but I wanted each of us to be able to remotely start either car with our respective cell phones. We each have a separate My Subaru account and separate cell phone accounts. Originally, I was told one MySubaru account would have to be deleted and have both cars under one account. A Subaru support supervisor was not sure I could maintain separate accounts and control both cars.
It worked. Separate accounts. Each My Subaru account can control both cars. Once the main account is set up I gave that car a nickname (blue or red), made the other person an authorized user, went to the other person's MySubaru account and there was the car. Did the same for the other account. Without nicknames the VIN is what shows and who can remember that. I open the MySubaru app on either phone, hit menu, and I get to choose which car to control, blue or red.
You can authorize multiple users (I think 5) to have remote start capabilities. The others don't even have to own a Subaru; they are sent an email with a link to open their own MySubaru account.
The original post hit everything right on the head - except pricing. Got both cars December, 2019 with 3 free years of the basic safety plan. Added Security Plus with remote start and everything else (not concierge) for $70 plus tax for each of the cars for 3 years (to December 2022). Not per year, but total cost. I did this on 3/2/2020.
I find it ironic that here we're talking about warm-up times up to 20 minutes long, while stop-start stops the engine for maybe 5 minutes per tankful of gas (and after 3 months I still don't know if I like stop-start).

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Glad you're liking the OB, ralphs. I turned this OP in to a full Remote Start guide. It contains lots of updates, clarifications, and edits. I can't modify the original post to update anything. For the latest version, it is available here: Subaru Starlink Remote-Start

·
Registered
2020 OB LTD
3 Posts
Glad you're liking the OB, ralphs. I turned this OP in to a full Remote Start guide. It contains lots of updates, clarifications, and edits. I can't modify the original post to update anything. For the latest version, it is available here: Subaru Starlink Remote-Start
Thanks, @2ow -- truth be told, my wife and I are on our 18th and 19th Subarus, going back to 1985. For the most part, they have been fantastic cars.
I've read your guides and watched your videos - wish I had discovered you before I went searching in the huge manuals. One of the problems is that I'll adjust something in my car and then can not figure out how to do it again in my wife's car. Intuitive settings does not seem to be a Subaru strong point.
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2020 2.5i Limited
137 Posts
All the climate control settings aren't an advantage to you? To me, that's the biggest one, especially in these weird Fall days where one day it's 85 degrees F and the next it's in the 50s, so you want to start it with A/C or heating depending on what mother nature has in store for the day.
I love being able to use MySubaru to start the car, with all of the choices of settings. To me, it is so much more reliable and less noisy than using the smart remote feature on my 2015's fob, which honked 3 times. That's not nice to neighbors at 5:30am

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
209 Posts
I'm subscribed to the Starlink Safety and Security Plus.

I don't see Remote Start.

I have an 2019 Outback 3.6R Touring and it does have the remote key fob start (which I've used once and then put in the drawer - don't need more things in my pocket). From reading this thread it looks like they're completely separate systems and it seems like I should have remote start on the MySubaru app. Any ideas on why it's missing?

All I can do is:
  • lock doors
  • unlock doors
  • locate vehicle
  • horn & lights

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
420 Posts

I have an Outback 3.6R and it does have the remote key fob start (which I've used once and then put in the drawer - don't need more things in my pocket). From reading this thread it looks like they're completely separate systems and it seems like I should have remote start on the MySubaru app. Any ideas on why it's missing?
Not sure you are in the right thread, this is for 2020+ - not sure the 3.6 (19 and before) had this feature.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts

I have an Outback 3.6R and it does have the remote key fob start (which I've used once and then put in the drawer - don't need more things in my pocket). From reading this thread it looks like they're completely separate systems and it seems like I should have remote start on the MySubaru app. Any ideas on why it's missing?
That was not an available feature on the Gen5. You can remote lock/unlock though.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
209 Posts
Ok. Thanks all. I swear I thought I was reading a Gen 5 thread but it must have been a different thread.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
270 Posts
Ok. Thanks all. I swear I thought I was reading a Gen 5 thread but it must have been a different thread.
To start the car with the app you need a car with keyless start, it can't be a manual transmission, and you have to have a subscription to StarLink Safety Plus and Security Plus. If I understand correctly, even the Gen 6 cars with key start can't use the app for remote start.

I bought the key dongle start for my wife's 2016 Outback 3.6R Limited. It works well and has decent range. I'm spoiled with my 2020, not only can I start the car remotely from anywhere with an internet connection, but I can set the temp and turn on the heated seats. At least you can still lock/unlock and track the car. Her 2016 doesn't have any of those capabilities.

·
Registered
105 Posts
To me this sounds like the only advantage to using Starlink for remote starting.
The big advantage to using starlink/mysubaru is that you can use the remote start when you're not anywhere near the car. So, for example, during the winter we would start the car when we were about ready to leave a restaurant even though the car might be parked a block or two away (of course, that was back during the halcyon days when you could go out to eat).

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
98 Posts
The 2.4 DIT warms up faster than any car I have owned. Those that would rather install a Subaru or other aftermarket remote starter other than the "built-in" are just throwing away their money. $75.00 for 3 years and another $150 for an additional 3 years is less than any remote starter purchased and installed.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
28 Posts
The 2.4 DIT warms up faster than any car I have owned. Those that would rather install a Subaru or other aftermarket remote starter other than the "built-in" are just throwing away their money. $75.00 for 3 years and another $150 for an additional 3 years is less than any remote starter purchased and installed.
Don’t forget that the Starlink service remote start requires a decent cellular link between the vehicle and AT&T’s network to work. For most metro/urban areas this shouldn't be an issue, but, in rural areas it could be.

·
Registered
20 Outback Ltd XT
272 Posts
Good write-up. Thanks. Haven't picked-up my new Limited XT yet but I know I will likely want to pay for the Security app access as I have similar on my F150 and it's slick.

It's 100% relative to the cost, however. I'd pay for the 7 years but would work hard for significant discount. Fwiw last I heard Ford has decided to abandon the fee and give it for no charge.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
576 Posts
It's 100% relative to the cost, however. I'd pay for the 7 years but would work hard for significant discount.
The new buyer discounted price for 7 years is $374. It goes on your credit card, so there's nothing to negotiate.

·
Registered
20 Outback Ltd XT
272 Posts
The new buyer discounted price for 7 years is $374. It goes on your credit card, so there's nothing to negotiate.
Thanks for both responses! I've read here (I think) that folks have called Subaru and they've negotiated the subscription terms/cost. Is that not correct? Or perhaps that's only after the trial is over. Payment method notwithstanding...

Anyway, I'll try it out during the trial then go from there....

41 - 60 of 86 Posts