Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
576 Posts
I think ours was $75 for 3 years, much cheaper than the cost on our 19.
Yes, that's the three year uplift that supports remote start. Seven year is $374 for the same uplift. Both provide a discount and also account for the free trial periods.

In another thread, a poster indicated they were able to bundle the cost in to their fiancing, but there were no additional discounts. I'm guessing it's just a passthrough on the dealer side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2021 Onyx XT and got the 374.90 deal for 7 years of Starlink Security and Safety Plus (thanks to all the info in this forum).

The remote start is great. It is nice to get in my car in the morning and have the seats warmed and car heated. The app runs great on my iPhone and so far no issues at all.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,161 Posts
Thanks. At delivery? Added to end of the trial? At $25/yr I might bite.
This was at delivery in November, and many others have reported the same. Just call them and ask for a deal, you'll probably get the same or better. The safety and security features of Starlink are one of the main reasons we switched to Subaru from Honda, who only offers features like this on their highest trim Touring models. We wrote to Honda about this inconsistency in their advertised "safety for all policy" but they haven't responded.

$25/year on the 20 Outback is a lot less than we paid on our 19, and a lot less than we pay for similar service for Onstar on our GMC pickup. Use it one time and it's worth it. I recently used it on my truck for help with a flat, and the rep on the phone could see exactly where I was coming to a stop so she could send the tow truck to the right place. When we had a flat in the middle of nowhere in our Subaru, Starlink still worked and was able to give us information on the nearest town where we could get a repair or replacement tire. It ended up being non-repairable (OEM Dueler). Since then I have upgraded from a donut to full size spare on our 20, and plan to switch to all terrains before the next off road trip. The Avids on the 20 have been better than the Duelers on the 19 in that they haven't failed on a gravel road, but I'll still feel better with an A/T before our next big trip. Probably going to choose the new Toyo AT3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I have both a remote start installed and still use starlink (mysubaru) to start the car? I live in an area with little cell coverage, so the back-up option is nice to have.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
270 Posts
Am i to understand that you need to subscribe to Starlink in order for the remote start feature (that was paid for, btw) to work?
Correct. You should get a several month trial, think its 6 for remote start, and 3 years for the emergency help part of StarLink, which you also need. Alternatively, you could purchase a remote start, Subaru sells one but you have to be relatively close to the car. Wife has the Subaru one on her 2013 Outback. No way to set temperature, heated seats, defrosters, etc. You have to remember to set when you leave the car. With the StarLink remote, you get vehicle info, can set the settings I previously mentioned, can locate the car if stolen, se miles, and vehicle health. I think you need to subscribe to 2 of the 3 options to get remote start. There are typically options at purchase/setup to get a discounted price on the subscription for $70 for three years or $375 for 7 years. If you plan on keeping the car, the 7year deal is actually better because the base StarLink service initial free sub is 3 years and you have to add that plus the remote start part for years 4 to 7 and it would be a lot more than $375. Cost of wife's Subaru remote start was more than $375 and she doesn't have all the StarLink features new models have. One caveat, your car needs to be able to get AT&T cellular service reception for StarLink to work. The manual remote start is line of sight. You can probably get a third party remote line of sight start cheaper. All depends on what you want.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
994 Posts
Am i to understand that you need to subscribe to Starlink in order for the remote start feature (that was paid for, btw) to work?
Cellular data isn’t free (what the car uses for remote start). If you have third party remote start or the Subaru accessory there is no added cost but the range is limited.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT
1 Posts
Myth #5: You can use the regular keyless fob to start the car.
Fact: The manual makes it seem like you can use the regular key fob for the keyless system to start the vehicle (see page 333 in 2020 owners manual). This does not work if the remote-start accessory is not installed (different system than Starlink). You cannot use it to start the car as a "work-around" to the Starlink system or remote-start accessory. Having the Starlink Security Plus system enabled does not allow the fob to also start the car. The full remote-start accessory must be installed first. The feature on page 333 only allows the key fob to act as an "alternative" remote start transmitter, albeit one with less range. (The remote-start accessory includes a separate long-range transmitter fob for starting the car.)
I thought this too when I read the manual, but I just tried it and it didn't work. The car component of the "remote-start accessory" has to be just some software package right? If there's no physical key, you can start the car with the push of a button, and you have a key fob remote that can send a signal to the car, then all the components necessary to start the car are there.

I guess what I'm wondering is, why couldn't every keyless Subaru have remote start as default using the regular keyless fob (other than being able to charge you for it)?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I thought this too when I read the manual, but I just tried it and it didn't work. The car component of the "remote-start accessory" has to be just some software package right? If there's no physical key, you can start the car with the push of a button, and you have a key fob remote that can send a signal to the car, then all the components necessary to start the car are there.

I guess what I'm wondering is, why couldn't every keyless Subaru have remote start as default using the regular keyless fob (other than being able to charge you for it)?
When they add remote start using the dongle or key fob, an antenna gets added as well as a hardware module, at least that's how it was on my wife's 2013 Outback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This post is outstanding. I have one further question - any information on which AT&T network-5G, 4G, 3G? I had a Viper remote start installed in my 2011 when purchased new. It was obsolete 5 years later due to wireless network upgrades. Luckily, I had the key fob, so I didn't need to start my car via the network.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT, 2014 Outback Premium
46 Posts
Starlink on my 2020 XT Touring has never worked and still does not to this day.

Dealer said Subaru put a $40 app in a $40k car.
We paid $75 for it if I remember correctly. I would have been better off throwing the money out the window.

This is the only negative I have on this awesome car.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
994 Posts

We paid $75 for it if I remember correctly. I would have been better off throwing the money out the window.

Sounds like you need to escalate past the dealer to someone who knows better. It works flawlessly for most people here.

·
Registered
4 Posts

It could be an issue with AT&T Network coverage in your area. If you live in a remote area with limited wireless coverage, it won’t be able to establish a connection.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This post is outstanding. I have one further question - any information on which AT&T network-5G, 4G, 3G? I had a Viper remote start installed in my 2011 when purchased new. It was obsolete 5 years later due to wireless network upgrades. Luckily, I had the key fob, so I didn't need to start my car via the network.
As 3G is being turned off by most if not all carriers, it's not likely to be 3G. My 2016 Ford F350 uses 3G for remote start and it no longer works. 5G is relatively new and not widespread, so not likely to be 5G. Logically, it's most likely 4G/LTE technology, which should be around for a good number of years more.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT, 2014 Outback Premium
46 Posts
UPDATE

I deleted and re-installed the apps on my phone and the wife's.

Both phones remote started and locked/unlocked our Outback.

Must have been magical sun spots or something but it works now.

Getting the recall for software update tomorrow, hope it all still works when they are done with it.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,117 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a question I don't see addressed in the excellent first post. I'm currently shopping a 2021 (or 22 if they won't make the deal I want on a 21) and will be talking numbers/accessories with my salesman on Saturday. With the dealer-installed Subaru remote start accessory on my 2011 the radio comes on when started remotely, as do any accessory ports. Will this also be the case with the Starlink and/or dealer-installed accessory remote start? My vehicle is within Bluetooth range when I'm at work, I'd hate for it to connect to my phone when/if I start it remotely (which is why I actually haven't used it as much on this vehicle as I might have needed/wanted to justify the cost).

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring XT
186 Posts
So I just tested. I turned my radio up then shut off the car. I then remote started the vehicle using the MySubaru app. The radio was left at the level that it was at when I shut it, which was loud on purpose. This was the same way my 2019 with the remote start in the actual keyfob worked (not the 400 yard extra fob one). All other components plugged into USB started as well (charger for a USB battery bank, etc). As far as the heated steering wheel... that doesn't remain on after a normal restart so that will not come on with the MySubaru app, tested both ways to be sure. As a note... I paid the 75$ for the 3-year subscription and happy I did. I find the remote start, remote find, and sending destinations to the onboard Nav in a similar manner as Android Auto super useful. The destination thing... you basically go into the app and choose the destinations option and tell it something like "Closest Starbucks near me". When it finds it you basically choose the send to Nav option and next thing you know it shows up on your onboard Nav. Tons better than the crappy Tom Tom option. One thing I dislike about the car, which isn't a biggy, is that in my 2019 when I have my phone plugged in and Android Auto picked up I could hit the voice button on the steering wheel and Google answered instead of the onboard systems. It doesn't work that way on my 2021. If I want to ask Google a question or put in a destination I have to click on the microphone on the AA app.

Hope this answered the question you had. If not just let me/us know exactly what you would like to test and I would be happy to.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,117 Posts
Thanks @Brettcr that pretty much answered it. More of a want to know than a deal-breaker.

Background - I previously had a Grand Prix with the factory-installed remote start and the radio did NOT come on when the vehicle was started remotely. It also didn't shut the engine off if it had been started remotely and the door was opened prior to the engine shutting off. That WAS 2006 though...

61 - 80 of 86 Posts