Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m pretty amazed they not only make you pay for the MySubaru subscription, but that the functionality is so basic and $75 for 3 years is considered a discount. Personally the only thing I will ever care about is tracking the car if it’s stolen.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium (Pre-Ordered)
124 Posts
I’m pretty amazed they not only make you pay for the MySubaru subscription, but that the functionality is so basic and $75 for 3 years is considered a discount. Personally the only thing I will ever care about is tracking the car if it’s stolen.
What you're paying for is a very discounted cell bill, roadside assistance and someone to work with LEO's to find your car if stolen. The rest is lagniappe.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
209 Posts
It'll likely get you a discount on insurance, as well.

From my point of view: I like that I can lock/unlock the doors remotely AND the insurance discount. I've used "locate vehicle" and "horn & lights" before when I've been on a trip and couldn't remember precisely where I parked my Outback.

The vehicle status, I think, is a bit of nonsense. I have had codes pop up before on a separate ODBII device and nothing has ever shown on the vehicle status page. You'd think it'd pop up with low washer fluid or some other thing once in a while but nothing. Everything is always 100% AOK!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What you're paying for is a very discounted cell bill, roadside assistance and someone to work with LEO's to find your car if stolen. The rest is lagniappe.
I had an app for my last 2 MINIs which would tell me where the car was. I think it worked through the satellite GPS and would only give last position unless the car was on. Roadside is was also free, I think it’s always free?

I guess this is basically a LoJack type technology that works on cellular. So I if the car is stolen and taken into the wilderness, no more tracking if it’s not satellite based.

The $75 was not a terrible deal, just surprised it cost anything at all, then more surprised it was like a Sirius XM style “haha gotcha, auto-renew at 500% increase!”

It’s lagniappe like the staff coming out to sing happy birthday and bring you a cupcake in a restaurant, then adding $40 to your bill ;).

I suppose others find this a lot better value, seems like an antique business model to me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring XT
186 Posts
I'm not familiar with the document you mention n2ow, but I read through it and it looks useful. 1 suggestion if I may... you may want to play with the newer "Destinations" functionality in the MySubaru/Starlink app then update your doc because there is no mention about it even though you can see the button in your screenshot. You make this mention about the Concierge service:

"The Concierge service is affordable and works better than voice commands when using the navigation system while driving. During testing, it took under 60 seconds to get directions sent to the on-board navigation system. The vehicle’s voice-based navigation system was much more complicated and took over 5 minutes to set the same POI."

The "Destinations" feature adds much more functionality to the onboard navigation. Makes it more similar to Android Auto or Carplay. In the app on my phone I click the "Destinations" feature then click "Find a Destination". I click the search and say anything I want to go to, like a store or restaurant, etc, and when the keyboard comes up I choose the microphone to speak it instead of typing (I use an Android device). It comes up with the destination/options of destinations of which I choose one, and I can choose to "Add Destination to Trip", because you can create trips then save them or specific destinations, or choose "Send Destination to Vehicle". Choosing send to vehicle prompts on your screen in seconds and you press to ok the destination and your large map opens on your car's screen to begin your navigation. Works rather well honestly. May be worth covering that in your document as well as it really makes your onboard nav MUCH better and it is part of the Starlink/MySubaru. Is it AA or Carplay? No, but closer for those who want to use it.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts