Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Genuine Subaru touch-up paint stick/kit on Amazon, from a dealership seller. The stick is supposed to include paint, and clear coat. The clear coat jar/vial/vessle/etc? end of the stick was bone dry. As if it was never filled in the factory. Amazon will not let me return it, because paint...flammable...etc. I sent the seller a message through Amazon messenger. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
678 Posts
I don't mean to insult your intelligence but did you hold the pen upright and fully depress the nib a few times on a flat surface (not the car!) to get the liquid to flow?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pen tip did not flow worth a @#$%, even after putting way too much effort in trying to get it to flow. The little amont of paint I got out of the tip, was too dry to work with. Pen tip flows the paint. The clear is in the aluminum "jar" on the bottom. In my case, the "jar" was never filled with the clear coat.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,100 Posts
Contact the seller directly. If they are an authorized Subaru seller, they may settle for a picture /your word to send out another.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
939 Posts
If you get a refund, I find the kits at paintscratch.com are much meter. Get a vial of paint and a vial of clear and buy some fine line brushes on Amazon. Much better than using the pen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contact the seller directly. If they are an authorized Subaru seller, they may settle for a picture /your word to send out another.
Yup....already contacted the seller. The seller is blowing me off. The seller is a Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you paid by PayPal, you can initiate a complaint. I have been reimbursed 2x before.
Doesn't Amazon have a dispute resolution system? I would think they do and that your chances should be good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you paid by PayPal, you can initiate a complaint. I have been reimbursed 2x before.
Doesn't Amazon have a dispute resolution system? I would think they do and that your chances should be good.
Yeah....but being paint (flammable) it's unreturnable...so Amazon is "here's the sellers email, good luck with that".

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's incredible if Amazon doesn't have a way to escalate this if that's what you're saying. You'd think they'd ding their account or something. I'd bet you wouldn't have this problem if you paid by PayPal because they'll ding the sellers account. It's been good for me.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
939 Posts
They do. There’s the a-z guarantee. If the op gets nowhere with the seller, they can file a claim with Amazon directly. They have to wait 48 hours for a response.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hope you win! Maybe go to a dealer if you manage to get your money back? At least you won't have such a hassle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's incredible if Amazon doesn't have a way to escalate this if that's what you're saying. You'd think they'd ding their account or something. I'd bet you wouldn't have this problem if you paid by PayPal because they'll ding the sellers account. It's been good for me.
Amazon just dropped me in a generic email with the seller. Whomever was incharge of the Amazon sales at the dealership hadn't a clue what the product was supposed to do, and what was to be included with it. It took about a month and arguing back and fourth, and I eventually got a paint stick. The experience was not worth the head ache.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Glad you got it solved. Can't imagine what the argument was about. If someone is selling parts out of a dealership and doesn't know what a paint pen is for, it's time to get someone else to handle that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I played with the Subaru J# touch up paint before the weather got too cold.

1.) The color is close...but not spot on. I have ice silver. The touch up was certainly blue'er than the color on the car that has seen sunlight for about a year.
2.) The "precision tip" is a joke. It will not flow. If you can get some paint to flow, its pretty much too dry to work with. Just buy a few 00, or 000 paint brushes, and dip into the bottle.
3.) DO NOT use the abrasive tip to dress any marks. That tip has got to be made out of some sort of industrial diamond, made in a nuclear reactor. It is HARD!...and will destroy any small chips and make them worse. Use some rubbing compound instead.
4.) The clear coat part of the package is actually pretty easy to use and gives good results. The foam tip is a little sloppy. My wish to use some of those 00, 000 brushes with this too.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Thanks. I will be doing this on my Crystal Black Silica this week, weather permitting. The first week I had my Onyx I took a couple rocks from the highway directly to the hood.

·
Registered
678 Posts
With Toyota and Nissan pens, I dab some in a foil tart/muffin tin by depressing the tip and use those brushes to apply. If thinning is req'd I dip my brush in some lacquer thinner . I hold the tin on the car sheet metal nearby with a 1/8" rare earth magnet. I've never had a bottle of touch up paint; it's always been the pen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts