Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 50th Anniversary 2.5
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my main complaints of my 2018 Outback is the size of the cupholders.
I have tried changing my water bottles but I just love my 1 litre Nalgene Bottles!

In this
f the 2020 Subaru Outback they seem to indicate that the 2020 model cupholders will fit a Standard (1 Litre)(wide) nalgene bottle.

I was curious if anyone who had viewed the car in person could speak to this?
What would be really cool is someone had a picture with the new cupholders and a water bottle or a ruler!

Thanks
Tyler

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,498 Posts
I agree, those are the only bottles I use, and I was a bit surprised they didn't fit anywhere in my Gen 5.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
I've used the Nalgene bottles for many years and the 1L model only fits in my truck. But I've come to realize I don't need a bottle that large most of the time. Nalgene makes a thinner 24 oz bottle that I have and I like it more. I forget the name of the model but it has a quick flip top opening. I've come to like it.
Beyond that, I really like the Polar Bottle brand. Quality made, in the USA and good functionality. Plus they're insulated which can help. I use one of them on my golf push cart when walking 18 and it keeps my beverage cool thru the whole round unless real hot outside. I love it.

https://polarbottle.com/

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,498 Posts
Heh, I've got some smaller bottles, but don't see myself ditching the 1L Nalgene any time soon. I've been using them for so long (PC and Tritan), I have a little collection going, and accessories that fit them (filters, UV purifiers, splash guards). I also drink 2-3 liters of water every day, so anything smaller becomes much less convenient.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
156 Posts
Funny, one of the first things I noticed in the reveal was that the cup holders were side by side rather than front to back. I like the former better. That way I don't have to reach awkwardly over and around the back bottle to get to the one in front.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,824 Posts
Of all the pros / cons I might want to consider and weigh for the new Gen 6 design, the cupholder size and position would not be very high up on my list.

But then I'm stuck in a Gen 3 time warp, as most here know. I pulled out the removable cupholder insert in the center sliding cubby the first day I had the vehicle, never to return.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
374 Posts
Interestingly, I just spend my first full day with my new Ascent and immediately found that the two center console cup holders were actually way too big for the typical drinks I happen to enjoy while driving. If the MY20 Outback follows suit, perhaps they will be big enough for the containers that folks are talking about. In the mean time, I guess I'll be trying that Subaru ash tray sleeve trick to see if I can avoid spilling tall drinks when idiots on the road cause me to, um...change course...quickly.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,141 Posts
First world issue. :) What a ridiculous thing to even discuss.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
374 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
593 Posts
The ones up front are double D's.

ooooooooh! You meant CUP holders.. nevermind

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R
13 Posts
I too was a bit disappointed that the cupholders don't fit my 1L Nalgene bottles. I did find that if you turn them upside down, the lid will fit and they ride fairly well that way. An added bonus it it is the correct height to be an armrest extension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of my main complaints of my 2018 Outback is the size of the cupholders.
I have tried changing my water bottles but I just love my 1 litre Nalgene Bottles!

In this
f the 2020 Subaru Outback they seem to indicate that the 2020 model cupholders will fit a Standard (1 Litre)(wide) nalgene bottle.

I was curious if anyone who had viewed the car in person could speak to this?
What would be really cool is someone had a picture with the new cupholders and a water bottle or a ruler!

Thanks
Tyler
OK, you asked 6 months ago and probably know the answer already. But for anyone who still does not know, I measured our 2020 Outback just now: Bottom is about 2.875" diameter tapering to the top of 3.25" diameter. The cup holders are VERY deep at 5.5". The Outback comes with a removable rubber insert/spacer to allow old-style coffee cups to be placed in it without dropping too low.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,579 Posts
Ive had 2 previous outbacks - the cup holders never fit a 1 liter nalgene bottle.
I just tested mine on the 2020 Touring XT - and it doesnt quite fit. Its close but, nope.
Door cup holder it doesnt even come close. No different then my previous outbacks.

IMG_4416.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts