Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was unhitching my trailer from my Onyx Edition Outback and had the engine running and the driver's door open for some amount of time. I closed the door with the car still running. Later, I went back to get into the car and found that the doors were locked.

So, I used the key fob to try to unlock it and it wouldn't unlock either by pushing the unlock button nor with touching the door handle which normally unlocks the car.

I went back and got the other key fob and tried it and it also would not open the car door(s).

So, the car was just sitting there running and I was unable to open it with either of my key fobs. Luckily, I started the MySubaru app on my iPhone and was able to remotely unlock the car.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so any explanations?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, everything seems fine. I left the drivers door open for about 10-15 minutes before I closed the door then maybe another 5 minutes before I tried to get back in the car and realized that it was locked. Then I tried my key fob and it did nothing and tried touching the door handle and nothing. At that point, I went back inside the house to get the other key fob. It behaved the same way - nothing!
It is a good thing that I had my phone with me and the MySubaru app installed and configured. It was also fortuitous that I had a Internet connection. Otherwise, I don’t know what I would have done!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another potential workaround - which we don't know for sure will work in your fob deactivation scenario, is to use the rear hatch pin code to unlock the car.
Can you tell me more about this as I am not familiar with this Pin Code?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
A shame Subaru wastes so much money on owner's manuals. 👏

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,352 Posts
Look at page 122 of your manual. Enjoy. :devilish:

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,352 Posts
There is a Youtube video on the subject. I think it's a pretty insanely complicated "do the hokey pokey" process. You would think that setting a PIN would be conveniently done via the Infotainment U.I. It's a shame Subaru spends so much money on programmers. :devilish::p

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Can you tell me more about this as I am not familiar with this Pin Code?
At first it seems strange but once you understand it, it's not difficult or mysterious. If you set your pin code to 1217 then you'd go to the small button to the right of the tailgate center and press once, wait for a beep, press twice, wait for a beep, press once, wait for a beep, press seven times, wait for a beep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been able to reproduce the problem with the key fobs not unlocking the car while it was left running and the driver side door was open. It seems also that I had the Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) switched off at the time. I had it off because we have a bike rack mounted that slides into the trailer receiver. Without RAB being turned off, the car will often slam on the brakes when you start to back up as it "thinks" you are about to back into something. So, I need to take the time to try several times to see if I can reliably duplicate the problem. BTW, I took the car to the Subaru service center and we were not successful in repeating the problem. The service advisor also could not find any TSB's on this issue. From what I am reading on this board, it appears that there are at least two variations of this problem with the car locking and not being able to unlock it with the key fobs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts