Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I just got my New 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT, (this will be my third Subaru) i am just wondering as I am going to be looking for a new winter tires (nothing wrong with the stock tires) but Since i live in the northeast, snow tires are a MUST. Wondering if a size 19 wheel and tire would fit ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really cant answer your question but in the past I have found in snow tires the narrow the tire the better it can handle deep snow. I was working in sales were I was driving up to 1000 miles a week in upstate NY and New England. I had a rear wheel drive Volvo 740t. In the snow with the stock 18”(I think) low profile tires it was horrible in the snow . I switched to a 15” narrow Studded snow tire that was Made in Sweden can’t remember the brand but it began with a V. I put the tires on all 4 wheels . That car could go through anything never got stuck . I found that the narrow tires work better as they have less snow to push away. I would definitely go that route again if my driving had the same obstacles as in the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, again, My third subaru and never had to make my tires go smaller. I like the stock rims and tires, just do not think they are the best for the Northeast winter conditions, i never had any issues going with bigger wheels on my XV, nor Impreza., But thank you for your input.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes you could fit 19" wheels with a low profile tire on the Outback, but I agree with Brian10956 that the increased wheel size and low profile tires won't be of any functional benefit in the snow, compared to a snow tire mounted on a stock-size 17" or 18" wheel. Where it would help would be dry summer handling, as the sidewalls being shorter you'd have faster steering response, less slip angle, but also a harsher ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, cool. Thank you both for sending this, I am going to go narrow for my winter tires then, and go with 19th inches in the summer. I’m a big fan of bigger wheels and tires...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Okay, cool. Thank you both for sending this, I am going to go narrow for my winter tires then, and go with 19th inches in the summer. I’m a big fan of bigger wheels and tires...
The Falken Wildpeak Trail comes in 225/55R19 and it will fit.

Another consideration about wider/narrower tires is that a wide tire weighs more and will make the suspension not feel as supple. If you can get a lightweight 19" wheel the Falken Wildpeak Trail comes in 225/55R19 and it will fit. It's a great all-round tire that fits the rugged characteristic of the Outback. It's not a dedicated summer ultra high performance tire though, but everyone that has them (I don't) can't praise them enough both on and off the road and even in winter driving. On the other hand, they are definitely not as good as dedicated snow tires on ice.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wow that Ice Silver color looks Awesome! for mine, i went Dark!
Is that the Magnetite Gray? Looks fantastic! There's a whole thread about them.

I noticed that you have the vent things - I have those on order and will have them on Monday. Do I see splash guards on yours? I have splash guards on order also but they won't come for another week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Magnetite gray paint is one of a kind, lot of people keep asking me about what color it is because it is like a mix of metallic black and metallic gray and yeah got the window vents and the splash guards came with the package ...They window vents were easy to install too. :)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Magnetite gray paint is one of a kind, lot of people keep asking me about what color it is because it is like a mix of metallic black and metallic gray and yeah got the window vents and the splash guards came with the package ...They window vents were easy to install too. :)
It's a good color. When subaru replaced the carbide gray with magnetite gray in 2018, I really thought about getting mine in that color (have had the carbide gray before, was too dark). The magnetite is definitely a warmer gray - more towards a silver gray where the carbide gray it replaced was a much cooler (on the color spectrum) and had a definite blue/purple hue to it.

good color choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts