Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,039 Posts
That is strange. There has to be something amiss with the wiring on the 2020 Outback; either the ground isn't complete, or the wiring adapter box, if there is one, isn't working properly. If there's no wiring adapter box, then there could be a fault in the way the 4-pin outlet on the 2020 was connected into the car's wiring.

Zero resistance on Ohms..
When the Resistance was measured between the ground pin on the connector (left side bare pin in the annotated picture above) and a ground on the car, what ground point did you use on the car? If it was anywhere on the hitch, instead measure the resistance (using the lowest Resistance range on the meter) from the ground pin to a ground that doesn't involve the hitch (e.g., a place on the car body in the cargo area).

With the trailer plug attached to the 2020 Outback connector (but the trailer is not hitched up to the Outback), what is the resistance between a clean ground on the trailer frame itself and a ground on the car body?

When the car's parking/clearance lights are turned on, I understand there's no marker/tail lights on at the trailer. Same when the brake pedal is pressed., i.e, no brake lights turn on at the trailer. But what about on the car? Are the lights on and as bright as when the trailer is not connected?

With the trailer plug attached to the 2020 Outback connector (but the trailer is not hitched up to the Outback), and the parking/clearance lights are turned on, what's the Voltage between the trailer frame and a good ground point on the car body?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So finally got it up to Subaru service and they found full power and solid ground on the car. No issues. Did talk to the tech and he suggested that maybe there's an issue with the plug on the trailer, that it fit ok on old Subaru (kind of molded to the plug on the old Subaru) but now just a bad fit with the new and suggested maybe tweaking the trailer plug pins so there's a tighter fit. So I did this...and nothing. Turned on lights and blinkers, kind of pushed and pulled at plug union to see if I can get SOMETHING...and nothing. What the ****!??

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That is strange. There has to be something amiss with the wiring on the 2020 Outback; either the ground isn't complete, or the wiring adapter box, if there is one, isn't working properly. If there's no wiring adapter box, then there could be a fault in the way the 4-pin outlet on the 2020 was connected into the car's wiring.

When the Resistance was measured between the ground pin on the connector (left side bare pin in the annotated picture above) and a ground on the car, what ground point did you use on the car? If it was anywhere on the hitch, instead measure the resistance (using the lowest Resistance range on the meter) from the ground pin to a ground that doesn't involve the hitch (e.g., a place on the car body in the cargo area).

With the trailer plug attached to the 2020 Outback connector (but the trailer is not hitched up to the Outback), what is the resistance between a clean ground on the trailer frame itself and a ground on the car body?

When the car's parking/clearance lights are turned on, I understand there's no marker/tail lights on at the trailer. Same when the brake pedal is pressed., i.e, no brake lights turn on at the trailer. But what about on the car? Are the lights on and as bright as when the trailer is not connected?

With the trailer plug attached to the 2020 Outback connector (but the trailer is not hitched up to the Outback), and the parking/clearance lights are turned on, what's the Voltage between the trailer frame and a good ground point on the car body?
actually missed this -- will try your ideas. One thought is i just rewire the trailer - new everything.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts