Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1241 - 1260 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
2021 XT Limited.
Recent tankful was 8.3 l/100km (28.3 US mpg) calculated and 8.1 l/100km (29.0 mpg) indicated on the computer. 60% highway / 40% city. I'm very satisfied with this mileage given the amount of power it has. I've seen it go into the low to mid-7's of l/100km (31-33 mpg) on extended road trips at the speed limit quite loaded up with stuff.
The CVT has more trouble choosing gearing in town and the consumption can go down to either side of 10 l/100km (23.5 mpg), depending on how many SUV's I've embarrassed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 7,300 miles on my 2020 Limited XT. I usually get less than 17 mpg on almost all fill-ups. I always disable start/stop. 99% of my driving is around town, so no highway miles to bring up the average.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
106 Posts
Our kid started kindergarten this week, school is 4.2 miles from home...
Averaging 17.5mpg with 235/65R17 Falken Wildpeak A/T trails in the city.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure why nobody seems upset about the mpg. My 2021 ouback averages 25 mpg combined with approx 200 mikes per tank of solid hwy driving and the rest city. This is not what i signed up for when I purchased this vehicle. I feel duped. I am not hauling anything heavy, don’t have anything on top that would affect aerodynamic, tire pressure is spot on, use good fuel, just got my 6000 mile maintenance and everything checks out. The sticker clearly says 26-32 mpg and this is what the EPA show as well. Didn’t VW have a huge class action lawsuit over something similar a few years back? My car is in the shop. If they can’t figure it out, I will have to sell it back and find something else. I love it other than that, which makes me sad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
...................My 2021 ouback averages 25 mpg combined with approx 200 mikes per tank of solid hwy driving and the rest city. This is not what i signed up for when I purchased this vehicle............
Guess you missed the "your mileage may vary"? Too many factors to even begin to list can impact mpg. Just a couple are driving style & location. It's an estimate not a guarantee.

That was Hyundai & a much more significant variance........,and you know what the owners have gotten? Zip, zero, nada, bupkiss. They had a settlement but it meant checking in at the dealership & getting funds - apparently too much for whiny grubbing "Muricans" so it's stalled.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
415 Posts
Not sure why nobody seems upset about the mpg. My 2021 ouback averages 25 mpg combined with approx 200 mikes per tank of solid hwy driving and the rest city. This is not what i signed up for when I purchased this vehicle. I feel duped. I am not hauling anything heavy, don’t have anything on top that would affect aerodynamic, tire pressure is spot on, use good fuel, just got my 6000 mile maintenance and everything checks out. The sticker clearly says 26-32 mpg and this is what the EPA show as well. Didn’t VW have a huge class action lawsuit over something similar a few years back? My car is in the shop. If they can’t figure it out, I will have to sell it back and find something else. I love it other than that, which makes me sad.
I have a 2021 Onyx XT (2.4 turbo) with 3,284 miles. I've average 25.3 mpg of mostly suburban driving, almost no city. On a recent trip, all highway, I got 31.8 mpg.

With only 200 miles per tank on the highway, you are probably 85 - 90% city driving so 25 mpg, when the EPA city number is 26, is, frankly, what you should expect. Odds are, that's what the dealer will tell you.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
7 Posts
Did my first fill up on the Wilderness yesterday. Mileage was 295 and I put in 13.7 gallons, so about 21.5 mpg. This was mostly short in town drives with an 80 mile round trip that was mostly interstate 75/65 mph

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Onyx XT (2.4 turbo) with 3,284 miles. I've average 25.3 mpg of mostly suburban driving, almost no city. On a recent trip, all highway, I got 31.8 mpg.

With only 200 miles per tank on the highway, you are probably 85 - 90% city driving so 25 mpg, when the EPA city number is 26, is, frankly, what you should expect. Odds are, that's what the dealer will tell you.
Nope. City is city. Highway is highway. Lowest end should be all city at 26 mpg. Combined fuel economy should b 29. With a bit less than 50% hwy I would expect a bit lower than the combined avg but 25 mpg is way out of range. Don’t drink the kool aid. My car also feels like it is hauling a darn trailer. The 2019 premium I am driving right now is quick and nimble, unlike my 2021 premium. I have not driven the loaner long enough to calculate its fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guess you missed the "your mileage may vary"? Too many factors to even begin to list can impact mpg. Just a couple are driving style & location. It's an estimate not a guarantee.

That was Hyundai & a much more significant variance........,and you know what the owners have gotten? Zip, zero, nada, bupkiss. They had a settlement but it meant checking in at the dealership & getting funds - apparently too much for whiny grubbing "Muricans" so it's stalled.
This is only my third new car purchase but the otbers were not this far off. Please spare me, I know many variables fuel economy. The sticker says one thing, the dealer affirmed it, I bought it. Some peoples’ relationship to Subaru reminds me of some of my early relationship mistakes…”He lied to me but he is so handsome and so much fun I will stay with him” Sorry, but NOPE.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
415 Posts
Don’t drink the kool aid.
Jaho13 said:
Some peoples’ relationship to Subaru reminds me of some of my early relationship mistakes…”He lied to me but he is so handsome and so much fun I will stay with him” Sorry, but NOPE.
Ah yes, insults are always helpful.

Even if you achieved the EPA estimates, i.e., your driving habits mirror the EPA test (highly doubtful given your statement "My car also feels like it is hauling a darn trailer.") and you emptied the tank (again, highly doubtful) the best you should have seen was 28.3 mpg. You saw 25 mpg, 13.8% less than the EPA Combined of 29 mpg..
  • 200 miles (6.1 gal) at 33 mpg
  • 322 miles (12.4 gal) at 26 mpg
You clearly are not pleased with the mpg. Sell the car.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
553 Posts
Two similar trips to Colorado, one without the Yakima CBX 16 roof box and one with. Averaged 27.58 mpg without and 25.45 mpg with. Last two fill-ups were 28.45 and 27.28 with the box driving 65 mph(last 70 miles at 75 mph) so your mileage may vary, and that was into a headwind. Can't find much rhyme or reason to the mpg sometimes. We like the box.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
415 Posts
What is frustrating about these mpg posts, and frankly makes me question the value of any of them, is when people get upset about the mpg they experience then blame the car. If they do not get the same mpg as someone else with the same make, model and engine or, most recently, they do not get what the EPA publishes, it is the car's fault or, even better, the car manufacturer or the salesman lied, both of which are false.

The least variable component when it comes to mpg is the vehicle.

The most variable compnents when it comes to mpg are;

1. How you drive. Always have your foot in it or do you drive like there is a raw egg under your right foot?

2. The terrain you drive on, e.g., All 'highway' driving is not the same. Highways in Colorado are not the same as Highways in Virginia. City driving in NYC is not the same as city driving in Nags Head, NC. As I type this, I know it sounds like simple, common sense. No duh, all city driving is not the same. If it is simple common sense, then why get upset, or ask your dealer to investigate, when your mpg doesn't match someone else's or match the EPA estimates?

3. Driving conditions/weather.

And, probably less important

4. The condition of your car.

They report this 'problem' to the dealer and the repair oder shows No Trouble Found and they wonder why. The dealer cannot fix Items 1, 2 or 3 and Items 4 probably won't make much of a difference.

P.S.
Notice I did not mention a specific make or model so no need to compare this to toxic relationships.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT
10 Posts
New to me 2020 Touring XT with 5,050 miles. First drive / Dealership to House ( 354 miles) Avg. 27.3 mpg ( majority on cruise control @ 80 ).

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,578 Posts
@Jaho13 drive a similar Outback on the same routes you drive yours to compare, if there is a significant difference you might have a case, if not then it's just you, sorry.

I compared a lot of Subarus on a controlled loop before buying, and the mileage they returned was very similar, though not identical, and well within what the epa estimated.

There was one exception: one of the five Ascents I tested felt like all the others, but the mileage it showed on the dash on the same controlled test loop was 20 compared to 26-27 that all the other Ascents got on that route. Obviously whoever ended up buying that particular Ascent will always be unhappy with the mileage.

Point being yes, it is possible there is something wrong with your car, but statistically and realistically it's most likely just you and your driving. Good luck finding a resolution.

In case you're wondering, my overall mileage on my 20 Outback 2.5 is exactly 1mpg higher than my 19 Outback 2.5 returned, exactly matching the epa estimates. All the Outback 2.5's I test drove on my controlled loop (one 2016, several 2019's, three 2020's) returned 31-33mpg, well within the range of epa estimates and within the range others report on fuelly. Factor in that both of my Outbacks' actual mileage is 5% less than what the dash reports and that 31-33 is more like 29.5-31.5, still acceptable.

The 31mpg overall after 39K miles in my 20 as shown in my signature is from fuelly and is measured at the pump. I usually get a little better than the epa's overall estimates in all of my vehicles, and the Outbacks have fit that pattern.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My fit was 28/33. I consistently got 30 on the same trip to work that I am currently getting 19-20 in the onyx.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope. City is city. Highway is highway. Lowest end should be all city at 26 mpg.
😄 .......apparently you have no idea how the EPA numbers are derived. They are calculated based on simulated conditions. In the EPA 's own words some drivers will get better than the sticker & some worse = it's an estimate, period. Seems like you're in the latter category.

This is only my third new car purchase but the otbers were not this far off. Please spare me, I know many variables fuel economy. The sticker says one thing, the dealer affirmed it, I bought it.
A bit of a helpful hint for the "dealer is looking into it" - what they're actually doing sitting the car in the back while they're laughing at the thought of what you expect them to do? They're also marking you as that "PITA" customer.

............Some peoples’ relationship to Subaru reminds me of some of my early relationship mistakes…”He lied to me but he is so handsome and so much fun I will stay with him” Sorry, but NOPE.
:LOL: Fanboy? Number of Subaru's I've owned? One, I have no loyalty to any brand but this thread tells me one thing - some drivers get better than sticker mpg & some get worse.........hmmmm, where have I heard that before? Sounds to me like someone needs to call the "waaaaaaa-m-bu-lance" :LOL:

Best option for you is to sell the car & move on.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
477 Posts
A bit of a helpful hint for the "dealer is looking into it" - what they're actually doing: sitting the car in the back while they're laughing at the thought of what you expect them to do? They're also marking you as that "PITA" customer.
Uncalled for speculation presented as fact (unless you are the actual mechanic (not) doing the work).
The dealer should be checking the fuel-air ratios with a scan tool to see if an unusual amount of correction is needed to get to the proper ratio, possibly signifying leaking injectors and reduced fuel mileage.

1241 - 1260 of 1290 Posts