Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1261 - 1280 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Uncalled for speculation presented as fact (unless you are the actual mechanic (not) doing the work).
The dealer should be checking the fuel-air ratios with a scan tool to see if an unusual amount of correction is needed to get to the proper ratio, possibly signifying leaking injectors and reduced fuel mileage.
Speculation? Yep. But it's reasonable they're not going to put much effort into looking for 1mpg....maybe check for codes & call it a day.

Uncalled for? Can't say but I'm glad your here to be the arbiter of opinions.

·
Registered
22 wilderness edition ob, 3.6r limited ob (traded), 14 carbide grey metallic ob (Traded)
59 Posts
I have a 22 wilderness with 2.8k MI and my best so far was 392 miles for a tank.

·
Registered
22 wilderness edition ob, 3.6r limited ob (traded), 14 carbide grey metallic ob (Traded)
59 Posts
392/18.5 = 21.2 mpg
Yeah I go by how far I can get on a tank. Im pretty sure I'm still breaking it in and it should get better. Gotta try to keep my foot out of it though 😆

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 OBXT, mostly highway commuting, but WV roads have lots of elevation. I drive 85mph with cruise set on dynamic and minimum following distance. I accelerate and pass heavily (turbo go woosh). First 7,000 miles very consistent 21.5 mpg. Best I have seen was intentionally trying for mileage 25.5 - drove under 70mph and set following distance to max and cruise to economy mode (Booooring). I didn't buy an AWD turbo wagon for mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are right, I did not coast into the gas station on vapors, but it doesn’t matter and I am not sure why I said that because it has no bearing on how i caculate the mpg. I will wait to see what the shop says and will make my own decision, thank you. When one drives as much as I do, 13.8% lower fuel economy matters. I doubt anyone would like to pay 13.8% more for anything over the long term, if they are smart, and poor fuel economy is the gift that keeps giving over the time the car is owned. America craps its pants when fuel prices jump and most people would think 13.8% a jump. As far as my driving goes, I drive like I have a bowl of soup in my lap that I don’t want to spill. I am driving a 2019 premium right now that practically drives itself in that I barely tap the gas pedal and it moves. The rpm’s rarely go above 2500, which is not the case for mine. I have not driven it enough to calculate fuel economy yet but I will and I have a feeling, based on the difference, that it will show better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl (Mine) PP 2 , 2017 Ice Silver Outback Limited (Wife's)
192 Posts
Here's my data point. I started tracking my 2020 Limited XT with Fuelly at around 6k miles and now have a little over 16k. I've seen a high of 32.9 on a road trip from Central Illinois to the Smoky Mountains and a low of 20.9 on another road trip from Central Illinois to the the Land Between the Lakes area in Kentucky with 2 kayaks strapped to the top into a head wind. Most of my driving would be considered rural (two lane state highway) with some in town driving (multiple stoplights) mixed in. I do like to put my foot into it on occasion. My average mpg is 26.9 over the time tracked and I'm good with that.

·
Registered
'22 Outback Limited XT Abyss Blue
514 Posts
Many have observed actual fuel economy falls noticeably short of EPA estimates. It's the first vehicle I've owned with that trait.
Waaay back, when manufacturers first had to post the EPA MPG numbers on the Monroney label, the MPG numbers with most cars & trucks were notoriously inaccurate. Buyers were angry because the MPG they expected didn't match their real world numbers. I soon learned to take 15% off the EPA highway/city numbers to come up with a more realistic MPG estimate.

After years of improvements in EPA mpg testing processes, the posted MPG numbers are much more accurate. But from what I've read here in the forums, the OB XT's numbers don't match.. Seems that this particular Subaru drive train is much more sensitive to driving style, and if one is bit heavier on the go pedal, you won't hit your EPA numbers. I'm doing pretty well MPG-wise with my OB, but I don't know at this time if I'll ever exceed the posted EPA figures.

Considering that my OB's mixed driving MPG numbers easily exceed comparable driving in my '10 Chevy Malibu LTZ w/4 cyl, I'm good with it. I DID buy a 3600lb AWD turbo SUV/crossover/wagon/starship, after all.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
251 Posts
I am now 3500 miles into my Outback, with mostly city driving/shorter trips, and definitely not hitting the EPA city rating, but I also drive spiritedly more then not. I am getting anywhere from 15-19mpg on any given tank. I think I will go in for my first service soon, using the "severe" intervals for my first two free included maintenance uses. Then go to the 6 month schedule.

·
Premium Member
2021 MGM Onyx XT
125 Posts
Seems that this particular Subaru drive train is much more sensitive to driving style, and if one is bit heavier on the go pedal, you won't hit your EPA numbers.
Definitely seems to be the case. I've been tracking on Fuelly since I bought the car, and at 82% city driving so far the average is 24.4 mpg. Compared to the Grand Cherokee we traded in that averaged 18.5 mpg with the same type of driving, I'll take it. We also had a Crosstrek, which had much better mileage, but of course much smaller and lighter.

Gas mileage threads will never solve any issues. Too many variables. You can visit any car forums and see the same type of threads in most of them. 🤷‍♀️

I DID buy a 3600lb AWD turbo SUV/crossover/wagon/starship, after all.
It's even heavier than that. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Many have observed actual fuel economy falls noticeably short of EPA estimates. It's the first vehicle I've owned with that trait.
Fuelly shows an avg for the 2.4 of 23 for the 2021 & 23.7 for the 2020........right about inline with EPA estimates for average. Which means some get above & some get less (just as the EPA states). Last vehicle I had that got above EPA estimates was a VW Jetta TDI......but it's common to beat EPA estimates w/ a VW diesel. Since then I've been right at or just below (1 or less mpg) or right at EPA posted average.

.............But from what I've read here in the forums, the OB XT's numbers don't match.. Seems that this particular Subaru drive train is much more sensitive to driving style, and if one is bit heavier on the go pedal, you won't hit your EPA numbers. I'm doing pretty well MPG-wise with my OB, but I don't know at this time if I'll ever exceed the posted EPA figures.............
That would be true of all boosted 4cyl engines, particularly when put in a vehicle that weighs as much as the OB. Having driven small boosted 4cyl for my last 4 vehicles I've found driving style has a huge impact, particularly in city driving. Example - you drive along & hit the lights so you don't have to fully stop = mpg goes up by a fair number. Hit a light & have to stop? It goes in the crapper, these small engines do not like overcoming inertia to get an almost 2 ton load moving again, it's where they really drink fuel. It's almost a hypermiling thing - see a light ahead, try to coast/light brake to avoid a full stop.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
... Seems that this particular Subaru drive train is much more sensitive to driving style, and if one is bit heavier on the go pedal, you won't hit your EPA numbers...
When driving the Outback I'm always aware, in fact too aware, of habits that effect mpg. Crappy mileage despite relentlessly feathering it, prolonged excessive rpms upon first start of day causing occasional clunk when cvt is engaged, occasional misses at idle are issues I've not experienced with any other new vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
16 Posts
2022 XT Limited with ~660 miles and I am getting just over 25 MPG. Had traded in an Audi A4 quattro and was actually expecting better mileage. Lets hope it improves over time.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
258 Posts
My second tank is averaged around 23.4mpg with roughly 70% local driving. We did not drive much recently and it is still under 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
806 Posts
A little over 2,100 miles on the clock now for our 2021 OB Touring. This latest fill up yielded a net reading of about 22.26 MPG (computed) with all of the driving in town/urban.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting an average of 21 according to the car display but only have 600 miles on it (2022 Ltd XT) so expect it will go up as engine breaks in. Roughly 80% in town driving thus far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too much time on my hands, and curious as to what mileage (MPG) you are getting?
Seems like the Turbo Mileage not as good as advertised, but there is also a break in period which includes fun time pushing the engine.
I'm still 70% in favor of a Blue Onyx XT, with a Blue Limited at 30%
Have a 2021 Outback Limited which is my 5th Outback in the last 10 years. All others got 28-30 MPG combined hiway/city. This new one is getting 22-23. I suspect a chip issue as there is a chip which controls gas mileage to some degree. Knowing the problem getting the proper chips during the pandemic, I've been told some cars were sold with either no chip or inferior ones. Anyone else having this issue?

1261 - 1280 of 1290 Posts