Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
415 Posts
I suspect a chip issue as there is a chip which controls gas mileage to some degree. Knowing the problem getting the proper chips during the pandemic, I've been told some cars were sold with either no chip or inferior ones. Anyone else having this issue?
🤦‍♂️

No, I am not having this issue. Perhaps we should just blame every problem on the 'bad' chips and/or no chips.

As Stevie Wonder sang;

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
806 Posts
Have a 2021 Outback Limited which is my 5th Outback in the last 10 years. All others got 28-30 MPG combined hiway/city. This new one is getting 22-23. I suspect a chip issue as there is a chip which controls gas mileage to some degree. Knowing the problem getting the proper chips during the pandemic, I've been told some cars were sold with either no chip or inferior ones. Anyone else having this issue?
How many miles are on your car? You cannot expect your car to get really decent mileage until it is fully broken in - - that means it has accumulated between 12,000 and 15,000 miles. This is due to tight engine tolerances, etc. We're only getting about 22 MPG with our 2021 Touring, but it only has a little over 2,000 miles on it and we drive generally in town only.

·
Premium Member
2020 Premium Tungsten metallic w/ option pkg 15 and tow hitch, foot illumination lights, skid plates
108 Posts
Image.jpeg

2.5. Drove about 100 miles of this on the highway. Computer read 31.7 average and Fuelly gave 30.5, but I used different gas stations. Of the many factors affecting mileage, the one I have control over is speed. When trapped behind a grandpa going 62mph on the highway, the instant readout registered from 37 to 53. Passed him and resumed 70mph and it was maybe 27 to 35 mpg. YMMV, but don’t race around driving 80 with a turbo and then complain about fuel consumption. That said, I will give up some mpg to have a little fun at times.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
107 Posts
2020 Outback Onyx XT
18x8.5 Konig Ampliform
245/55R18 Falken Ziex ZE950AS
Premium Fuel
~10000 miles on the ODO
Just finished a 700 mile road trip, with 2 passengers, back seats folded down and fully loaded to the brim with gear and supplies.

27.2 MPG Average

Reactions: David in Norcal

·
Registered
2021 Limited XT
21 Posts
My 2021 XT now had 4500 miles so decently broken in. I reset the mileage reading every fill-up. On a recent 180 mile highway trip, 70-75 mph, moderately hilly, I got 31.9 mpg. Of interest, the first part of that trip was without A/C because it was cloudy and I was at a steady 33 mpg. When the sun came out and I turned on the A/C and quite quickly, within under five miles, the MPG dropped to the 31.9 and then stayed steady there.

Our normal in-town and highway combination is always either side of 29 mpg. These readings are on the car display. Hand calculated a couple of times and it indicates the display is approx. 0.5 mpg high. I am not a slow driver, but also not overly aggressive with the acceleration, unless needed during traffic merges or similar situations where I am SO glad I got the XT. The turbo makes it respond like my old V8 equipped cars, which I still have so easy to compare, not just enhanced memory, :)

·
Registered
'21 Magnetite Gray Onyx
5 Posts
My stock 2021 XT is up to 6000 miles on the ODO and consistently gets 14mpg hauling my trailer (1600lbs total) and around 21mpg otherwise (around 50/50 city/highway). Road trips sans-trailer usually come out to around 27mpg so far.

·
Registered
'21 Outback Premium, '21 Crosstrek Premium
6 Posts
My 2021 Premium just broke 5200 miles. Just did a round trip from South Jersey to JFK which was 242 miles and I averaged 29.5mpg doing 75mph. The entire time except when in NYC. Lifetime mileage is 28.7mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 8,000 kilometers on my 2021 Premier XT, what's clear to me is this gets GREAT gas mileage on the hwy

currently I'm getting 9.8 L/100km overall = 24 MPG, 70% city / 30% hwy

1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts