Subaru Outback Forums banner
1781 - 1800 of 1823 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,190 Posts
I had very bad gas mileage on my first few tanks in my 22 premium. I drive mostly highway and get right around 30 mpg with the 2.5L. speed is normally about 75-80 mph. I just went on a trip to Chicago for work and averaged 33 mpg. I set the cruse on 70 for most of the trip.
Just out of curiosity, Duane, what was the average fuel mileage on your first few tanks? We're getting about 21 - 22 MPG with the short trips (1 - 2 miles) we take most of the time, but the car only has 9300 miles on it.

·
Registered
2023 Outback Premium
31 Posts
I just got my outback touring xt on Monday, and I have driven 77 miles with an average of 13.8 mpg, combination of some highway and city. I sure hope this improves. My range on the tank is only 210 miles till empty.
Consider hitting the reset button. The car runs without moving at all for a lot of testing before you get it, and that gets counted at 0.0 MPG. My car started off with 3 miles at 16 MPG, and highway driving didn't improve it. I hit reset and baddabing-baddaboom, I'm doing 29 MPG.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,190 Posts
9,367 miles on our 2021 Outback 2.5i Touring; 229.7 miles driven on this tank, all in town. 20.88 MPG realized. I wish the fuel mileage was better, but considering almost all of the trips are on a car with a cold engine and short; 1 - 2 miles, it's to be expected.

·
Registered
2020 OB 2.5 Limited
326 Posts
have 16650 on my 20 OBL....recently had the dealer adjust my MPG Info Display down by 5% and that gets it pretty close to matching what I get when checking by hand. All city driving this last tank 25.4 mpg the mpg display was 4/10 different....

·
Registered
2023 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2013 Outback Limited 2.5
193 Posts
Averaging 31.5 mpg (dash) in 2300 miles, 2.5 '23 Limited. Mixed suburban/highway driving. Limiting speeds to around 73-75 mph on the freeway. I try to drive for better FE, coast before braking, accelerate slowly (even for a 2.5). We swapped the factory tires to LRR Altimax 365AWs, which has helped a bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
15 MPG city.
Still breaking the 2023 2.5l motor in. Currently 182 miles.
I'm right there with you. My new 2023 2.5 has around 250 miles and is at 16 mpg. All city driving. I haven't bought a new car in a while but I was expecting the 26 mpg that Subaru touts for city driving. I gues that's unrealistic right out of the gate and I assume it should improve. What's different at this stage?

·
Registered
2023 Outback Onyx 2.5L
49 Posts
Just another data point for a 2023 2.5L. I filled up for the first* time yesterday with 453 miles on the clock with 15.683 US gallons -- 28.88 MPG. Dash readout showed 28.5 MPG, which is interesting -- I've never had a pessimistic gauge before, they've always been about 10% optimistic.

This tank was all commuting to work/kiddo drop off and weekend errands so I'm pretty impressed with that number. I'm taking a ~300 mile round trip this weekend on backroads to visit family, I'm curious what kind of mileage I'll get in those conditions, although we'll have the roof box mounted so that won't help (overnighter with kiddo + doggo = too much stuff...).

I'm in break-in so I'm taking it relatively easy on the throttle, but I'm not going out of my way to baby it -- just keeping the RPM below 4k as recommended in the manual. My WRX in the same conditions returned around 22 MPG.

*Right after I picked up the car with 3 miles on it I went straight to a gas station and topped it off so I would know it was definitely full so I could calculate the mileage on the first tank. I managed to splash in about .3 gallons if I remember. So technically this was my second fill up...

Now if Fuelly will just add a 2023 Outback to their database....

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport; 2023 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
144 Posts
I'm right there with you. My new 2023 2.5 has around 250 miles and is at 16 mpg. All city driving. I haven't bought a new car in a while but I was expecting the 23 mpg that Subaru touts for city driving. I gues that's unrealistic right out of the gate and I assume it should improve. What's different at this stage?
In my experience, it is unrealistic to expect a significant increase in mpg after breaking in the car. What I suspect more commonly happens is the driver gets a better feel for how to drive their new car more efficiently. For example, my new Outback coasts and maintains speed very well when there is no throttle input as it is still giving the engine a little gas. My 2017 Legacy 2.5L starts slowing down almost like a manual transmission car when the gas pedal isn't pressed because the computer is giving the engine no gas. This initially equated to me using my brakes a lot more on the Outback which equals less efficiency.

A large portion of it is driving conditions though as well. For example my new Onyx XT is right at 23mpg at about 200 miles on the odometer with almost all city driving. My city driving is normally in 15 minute trips with minimal idling time, so the car has plenty of time to warm up and isn't sitting.

And one last thing to note, the 2.5L is rated at 32/26 highway/city. The XT is 29/22.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought my 2020 Onyx XTwith 19800 on the odometer in Sept. My wife took it on a 800 mile trip and it returned 29.9 mpg.
My work commute is 32 miles daily and it has returned just under 26 MPG on Costco regular unleaded. This is on the stock Yokohama Avid Gt tires .

·
Registered
2022 Outback 2.5L
19 Posts
So our 2022 Outback Touring now has 6k miles. We just got back from a 2.5k mile run from midwest to WY (and back of course) where we have our retirement home and we averaged 28.5mpg. We had a cargo carrier on the back, 2 adults, 1 big dog and all the luggage we could jam in and on cargo rack..

·
Registered
37 Posts
15 MPG city.
Still breaking the 2023 2.5l motor in. Currently 182 miles.
My new Outback was producing the same very low mpg. I'm pretty sure it was because I was sitting in my driveway with the car idling while familiarizing myself with the car. I think that with such a low mpg sampling, the idling drastically skewed the average. I reset a trip meter and immediately started getting an mpg of at least 30 mpg.

So, I would think that during the first few hundred miles, using auto stop start in the city and idling as little as possible will produce really great city mpg. Doing the opposite will negatively skew the numbers. Obviously, the main mpg calculation will eventually straighten out after enough miles.

·
Premium Member
2021 MGM Onyx XT
286 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was because I was sitting in my driveway with the car idling while familiarizing myself with the car.
Yes. Idling for a goodly amount of time like warming the car up, sitting in a fast food drive up or at a railroad crossing or prolonged stop and go driving will absolutely kill the gas mileage. It's just the way these engines are built. For what's it's worth, I don't use fast food drive ups. Don't like them. I'd rather take the time and walk in.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,317 Posts
Yes. Idling for a goodly amount of time like warming the car up, sitting in a fast food drive up or at a railroad crossing or prolonged stop and go driving will absolutely kill the gas mileage. It's just the way these engines are built. For what's it's worth, I don't use fast food drive ups. Don't like them. I'd rather take the time and walk in.
That's one of the reasons I like the ASS system. Helps reduce the amount of time I'm sitting idle.

1781 - 1800 of 1823 Posts