Subaru Outback Forums banner

2020 thru current Outback Owners! Please report your Model and recent Gas Mileage! Thank you!

242733 1822
Too much time on my hands, and curious as to what mileage (MPG) you are getting?
Seems like the Turbo Mileage not as good as advertised, but there is also a break in period which includes fun time pushing the engine.
I'm still 70% in favor of a Blue Onyx XT, with a Blue Limited at 30%
1801 - 1820 of 1823 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,317 Posts
Bought a 21 Onyx XT with 17K miles Saturday and was finally able today to get my first tank to 30.2 average mpg.

Was definitely babying it and coasting all during my 90-mile round trip commutes on 50/60 mph highways. Just trying to see if I could push the average to 30 mpg.
Huh. I would have expected to see closer to mid 30s with that. Traffic or hills?

Oh, wait. That's for the whole tank, right? That would do it.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,317 Posts
Thought that was pretty good for the turbo. It was for a whole tank of gas. No traffic and some hills.
It is. I originally thought you had said you were doing 50/60 mph highway only. I haven't had a chance to do a full tank test, but I've been able to get 30+ out of mine which is why I think it could be higher. Eventually I'll get around to testing the flat 55mph stretch where I was able to hit 41 in my CRV. :D

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
13 Posts
It is. I originally thought you had said you were doing 50/60 mph highway only. I haven't had a chance to do a full tank test, but I've been able to get 30+ out of mine which is why I think it could be higher. Eventually I'll get around to testing the flat 55mph stretch where I was able to hit 41 in my CRV. :D
Yea, it's mostly 50-60 mph, but there are a few stop signs and slower speeds on the front and back end of the commute. I don't think I could keep the commute at that average as I was purposely trying to stay off the gas pedal to see how high I could get the average.

Very happy, though, particularly since I was commuting in a Land Cruiser before this in a state with high gas prices.

·
Premium Member
2020 Premium Tungsten metallic w/ option pkg 15 and tow hitch, foot illumination lights, skid plates
194 Posts
Yes. Idling for a goodly amount of time like warming the car up, sitting in a fast food drive up or at a railroad crossing or prolonged stop and go driving will absolutely kill the gas mileage. It's just the way these engines are built.
And National Park gravel/dirt roads kill the gas mileage, but it is so much fun I am willing to pay the price. That is my top reason for buying an AWD.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,191 Posts
Latest fill-up on our 2021 Touring (normally aspirated); 9,599 total miles driven, 237.1 on this last tankful. 11.877 gallons taken, for an MPG of 19.96. All of the miles were driven in an urban setting / stop and go traffic.

Reactions: StanTheMan

·
Registered
22 Outback Premium CVT
1 Posts
'22 OB Premium picked up end of May. In early Oct, with 3500 miles, took a trip from home in Mass to Bluffton ,SC.We used the inland route, ie I81. total rnd trip about 2500 miles. Usually driving 72-73 avg 30.5 mpg. I was very happy with this tho the computer often showed as high as 34mpg. 30.5 is calculated from gas bought and miles driven.
A couple of thoughts:
I've been driving a long time and I know any faster and the mpg drops quickly. likewise, if I could stand to drive 63-65 mpg goes up quite a bit.
If you are after mpg, Subaru ( or any 4wd) isn't the way to get it. We have a nice '15 H. Accord which would get 39-40 mpg in the same conditions.
I dread when they start selling Winter blend gas. Every veh. I've had drops 10-15% mpg with that crap.

Al

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport; 2023 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
144 Posts
22.8 mpg on my first tank on the Onyx XT that included a any dealership/transportation idling/ messing around with all the settings with the car on. About 80/20 city/highway, so very pleased so far! This is only ~10% drop from my 2017 2.5L Legacy in similar conditions. I normally lose 10-20% mpg in winter driving due to the longer engine warm up time and winter blend fuel, so I am very pleased I am hitting the EPA numbers at this point in the year. The car calculated MPG was 2% pessimistic which I found interesting.

Auto start stop also saved ~0.25 gallons over the first tank.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2023 Outback Wilderness
49 Posts
Been driving calmly and still only getting 22mpg combined. 2023 OB XT with about 550 miles. Not pleased
I may be way off base here because I am no mechanic, but I truly believe you have to find the right RPM range, I noticed that I get better MPG at 72MPH than I do at 70MPH, right around that 1800-1900 RPM range. Makes zero sense to me but I do keep track of these things.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
2,191 Posts
I may be way off base here because I am no mechanic, but I truly believe you have to find the right RPM range, I noticed that I get better MPG at 72MPH than I do at 70MPH, right around that 1800-1900 RPM range. Makes zero sense to me but I do keep track of these things.
I believe you are correct - - the combination of the "gear ratio" the CVT "picks" and RPMs will give the best fuel mileage. In the case of my normally aspirated 2.5i Touring (2021), I get the best fuel mileage between 55 - 70 MPH (about 1500 - 2000 RPM in final drive) on level ground. Also, as noted in this thread and elsewhere, your fuel mileage will increase as your car breaks in (we're talking 12,000 to 15,000 miles total).

Reactions: Alaskanguy
1801 - 1820 of 1823 Posts