Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd start an argument.

Interesting note, the 2020 2.5L naturally aspirated model with the OEM hitch lists (2700lbs trailer/270lbs tongue), while the 2.4L Turbo lists a higher capacity now with the same hitch (3500lbs trailer/350lbs tongue).

Ok. Discuss among yourselves.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,642 Posts
What's the argument? The car with more torque and the beefier CVT can tow 800 pounds more "if the trailer has brakes".

Outbacks in Europe have much higher tow ratings. People tow trailers there instead of owning monster pickup trucks so the market demands higher tow ratings. Same car, different ratings. The North American specs are extremely conservative. An empty U Haul weighs 900 pounds and doesn't have brakes. People tow a modest load with those on Outbacks all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
473 Posts
Outbacks in Europe have much higher tow ratings. People tow trailers there instead of owning monster pickup trucks so the market demands higher tow ratings. Same car, different ratings. The North American specs are extremely conservative.
Towing in the EU is extremely speed limited, however. They don't head down the road at 65-70-75 mph while towing like so many folks do here in the US. Speed matters. The ratings here in the US take that into account.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,084 Posts
fixed post #1 with a link back to previous gen 5 outback discussion on tongue weights vs. ascent.

and made this a Gen6 sticky thread. may consider moving it to the Towing section. thanks to @walker for posting the 2020 page out of the owners manual to show the new specs.

and thanks to subaru for finally beefing up the outback uni-body / cooling / brakes enough to tow more. (particularly on tongue (y) )... I mean FINALLY,...so the real trailer towers don't have to jump to a Ascent or add steel the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,642 Posts
Towing in the EU is extremely speed limited, however. They don't head down the road at 65-70-75 mph while towing like so many folks do here in the US. Speed matters. The ratings here in the US take that into account.
It depends on the country. You can tow a trailer 130 kph on the French Autoroute. I see cars towing trailers zipping along at 80 mph all the time. Tons of Brits with little right hand drive cars towing little cargo trailers on the way to the Med for summer holiday. Then they hit Spain or Italy and they're speed limited to 80 kph. Belgium is 120 kph. In Germany, you can get a sticker where the car/trailer pair is inspected for braking and stability to go 100 kph.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
500 Posts
I am so glad and encouraged to know that the new chassis and engines give us enhanced towing capability. I also am hoping to hear that installing a 2" hitch is easier to install than on my 2013 3.6. That was a real pita. I am getting old and I quickly ran out of cuss words and spit to do that again.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so glad and encouraged to know that the new chassis and engines give us enhanced towing capability. I also am hoping to hear that installing a 2" hitch is easier to install than on my 2013 3.6. That was a real pitas. I am getting old and I quickly ran out of cuss words and spit to do that again.
The installation manual for the OEM hitch looks about as fiddly as the Gen5 hitch - there aren't the 2 plates to sandwich together to insert inside the subframe section, now it's just one piece with 3 bolts, and then the crossbar bolts up to that insert with 3 more bolts. Removal of the mufflers and heat shields is still required.

This OEM hitch doesn't bolt to the rear of the panel where the subframe section is as in the previous generation (along with the insert into the subframe).

Should be interesting to see how different aftermarket hitches are compared to the OEM version.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
500 Posts
Walker, thank you for that link with the 2020 hitch instructions. But after reading it, I think I will cry. ?

·
Vendor
35 Posts
Another option is the Stealth Hitch! Stealth Hitches are completely hidden behind the bumper. Our stainless steel latch block remains undetected until accessories are inserted. Both rack receivers and ball mounts are inserted and removed in seconds without tools! The 2020 has kept the same body style as the fifth generation with a taillight change and interior changes. We will be getting in the 2020 to confirm the taillight change has not changed the fascia and change our website to read 2015-Present. Please visit our website or call 833 MYHITCH (694-4824) with any questions.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
473 Posts
Steath'...one thing...a hitch receiver setup cannot increase towing capacity which is set by the vehicle manufacturer. But I'm very glad to see you'll be offering your solution as an alternative for folks getting the MY20 Outback.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
I am wondering what the best brake controller would be for the outback. I am assuming it would be a lot like the ascent setup and to use the same one that they are using, completely forgetting the one they have been using on the ascent forum predominantly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am wondering what the best brake controller would be for the outback. I am assuming it would be a lot like the ascent setup and to use the same one that they are using, completely forgetting the one they have been using on the ascent forum predominantly.
What vehicle you have doesn't really matter when it comes to selecting a brake controller, so yes, the same ones that are popular with other vehicles are going to apply to the Outback. Tekonshia P3 is probably the most popular electric brake controller on the market for many years now.

That said, given the 3500 lb towing limit for the XT, there will be few who need a brake controller since most folks will be towing things that don't require electric brakes with something like an Outback. 3000 lbs is the typical legal limit where brakes are required, although some states have a lower limit. And some towing situations like boats often have inertial/surge brakes which do not require electricity.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
What vehicle you have doesn't really matter when it comes to selecting a brake controller, so yes, the same ones that are popular with other vehicles are going to apply to the Outback. Tekonshia P3 is probably the most popular electric brake controller on the market for many years now.

That said, given the 3500 lb towing limit for the XT, there will be few who need a brake controller since most folks will be towing things that don't require electric brakes with something like an Outback. 3000 lbs is the typical legal limit where brakes are required, although some states have a lower limit. And some towing situations like boats often have inertial/surge brakes which do not require electricity.
YES that was it. My trailer already has breaks, which is why I asked. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,160 Posts
so why would there be an offering for a 2” adapter option from if the hitch was already going to be 2”. i just realized this. to me this means it wont be 2 inch installed

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so why would there be an offering for a 2” adapter option from if the hitch was already going to be 2”. i just realized this. to me this means it wont be 2 inch installed
The Thule adapter is basically a shim that will get a 2 inch shank down to 1 1/4 inch. Different sort of “adapter”. It specifically for the Thule accessories that use a 1 1/4 inch shank on the stinger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/QUOTE]
This is more than a little confusing. I am trying to gain a better understanding of towing as I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 Onyx with hitch. I find the 3500lb towing capacity to be an attractive feature. But reading the above suggest to me that the actual towing capacity is only 1000# since there is no brake controller and the wiring harness that comes with the hitch is only 4 pin which does not include a brake control wire. Further, from other posts, it sounds like trailers up to 3000# may not even have brakes which to me imply they are not really needed.

Now for the question, if I have a small camper that is say 1700 lbs. without brakes, could I practically, if not legally, tow it behind a 2020 outback?

It seems a little disingenuous to offer a hitch and specify a 3500 lbs. towing capacity without plug and play harness to utilize that capacity.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
20 Posts
This is more than a little confusing. I am trying to gain a better understanding of towing as I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 Onyx with hitch. I find the 3500lb towing capacity to be an attractive feature. But reading the above suggest to me that the actual towing capacity is only 1000# since there is no brake controller and the wiring harness that comes with the hitch is only 4 pin which does not include a brake control wire. Further, from other posts, it sounds like trailers up to 3000# may not even have brakes which to me imply they are not really needed.

Now for the question, if I have a small camper that is say 1700 lbs. without brakes, could I practically, if not legally, tow it behind a 2020 outback?

It seems a little disingenuous to offer a hitch and specify a 3500 lbs. towing capacity without plug and play harness to utilize that capacity.
[/QUOTE]

I plan to tow a 2000 lb. boat without trailer brakes...very carefully with ample braking distance. My gut says you would be fine, but you will need to drive with adequate stopping distance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New subi owner with a 2020 here. I'm looking to get a hitch and I crawled under the vehicle looking for mounting points, but didn't see anything obvious, so I've been creepin' under other people's cars in the parking lot trying to find my answer. The closest vehicle I've found is a 2019 Forester which has a similar sheet metal structure/bumper area. On that particular vehicle the hitch appeared to replace the 5mph bumper.

On newer Subaru Outbacks does the hitch replace the 5mph bumper? All of the hitch pictures I've seen online are generic and don't provide any answers.

·
Registered
3 Posts

[/QUOTE]

It is probably safer to use trailer brakes. There are aftermarket 4 pin to 7 pin adapter harnesses. Moving to 7 pin may also mean running a +12V (from somewhere other than the 4 pin) to the adapter harness. For brake controller, some people use the Prodigy RF (wireless). There are solutions. Etrailer.com, for example, often gives advice on such things.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New subi owner with a 2020 here. I'm looking to get a hitch and I crawled under the vehicle looking for mounting points, but didn't see anything obvious, so I've been creepin' under other people's cars in the parking lot trying to find my answer. The closest vehicle I've found is a 2019 Forester which has a similar sheet metal structure/bumper area. On that particular vehicle the hitch appeared to replace the 5mph bumper.

On newer Subaru Outbacks does the hitch replace the 5mph bumper? All of the hitch pictures I've seen online are generic and don't provide any answers.
Yep. Bolts in place of that bumper.

check out the installation instructions to see how it mounts up

1 - 20 of 208 Posts