Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,199 Posts
On some Subarus, you can pull a fuse to disable AWD and drive in 2WD (front wheel drive) mode.
Yea, my kids 98' OB had that feature. Good thing too as at about 112K mi, his rear differential started binding badly due to old fluid in the system. ( The car bucked like somebody hitting the brake every couple of seconds.) We had to pull that fuse so he could drive the car . That bandaid worked well while we troubleshot the problem. After some research, I found that 3-4 transmission fluid changes "might cure it"so did so. It worked ! We loved that car but one thing I learned with it was that you had to do ALL scheduled maintenance on time or you would suffer consequences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hitches, brake controllers etc are a very simple, tried and true retrofit. not a big deal. Most RV or hitch installers can "hook you up" in a few hours. y'all are making it so much more complicated that it is. it's all a mystery to the un- initiated towers but it's really simple.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,073 Posts
hitches, brake controllers etc are a very simple, tried and true retrofit. not a big deal. Most RV or hitch installers can "hook you up" in a few hours. y'all are making it so much more complicated that it is. it's all a mystery to the un- initiated towers but it's really simple.
This is how I feel. Its a total mystery, and I guess because of the potential consequences if something isnt right, is what worries me. Ive never had a hitch, and now 2 weeks ago I got one, and towed a rented wood splitter, went to a place to rent the it and then after, went to a hitch place to buy my own ball and insert thing. (lol) I havent even gotten into brakes yet. haha
I was reading some of this thread and I came away going "man I still dont have my head around all this at all".
I am even second guessing about the ball insert I got, because the guy where I rented the thing I was towing said the ball had to be a certain height from the ground. I see the Subaru ball you can purchase, the ball sits higher, and the ball I got (well the insert that the ball attaches to) makes the ball sit lower, not sure how much any of this matters but Im gonna go with I am overthinking it. ;)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
This is how I feel. Its a total mystery, and I guess because of the potential consequences if something isnt right, is what worries me. Ive never had a hitch, and now 2 weeks ago I got one, and towed a rented wood splitter, went to a place to rent the it and then after, went to a hitch place to buy my own ball and insert thing. (lol) I havent even gotten into brakes yet. haha
I was reading some of this thread and I came away going "man I still dont have my head around all this at all".
I am even second guessing about the ball insert I got, because the guy where I rented the thing I was towing said the ball had to be a certain height from the ground. I see the Subaru ball you can purchase, the ball sits higher, and the ball I got (well the insert that the ball attaches to) makes the ball sit lower, not sure how much any of this matters but Im gonna go with I am overthinking it. ;)
It's not hard. You can flip the hitch have (hitch beng the part the ball bolts too) upside down to get the ball to rise vs drop. The idea is to get the ball at the right height so that the towed trailer is fairly level for good weight /force distribution. If the hitch you purchased doesn't doesn't work the way you want. you can buy another with different rise/drop for short $.

Here are two trailering hints I've picked up along the way:
1) If you set the ball up so it's at/above the rear deck height, you can back up to hitch/unhitch with the hatch open (and seats flat) and actually watch the ball as you back towards the trailer. I find that much easier than camera's and guesswork.
2) New trailer haulers often struggle with backing up the trailer. The trick is to hold the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and turn the wheel (gently) in the direction you want the trailer to go. Try this and you'll find it takes the confusion out of backing up. I've saved marriages at the boat ramp with this one :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It's not hard. You can flip the hitch have (hitch beng the part the ball bolts too) upside down to get the ball to rise vs drop. The idea is to get the ball at the right height so that the towed trailer is fairly level for good weight /force distribution. If the hitch you purchased doesn't doesn't work the way you want. you can buy another with different rise/drop for short $.

Here are two trailering hints I've picked up along the way:
1) If you set the ball up so it's at/above the rear deck height, you can back up to hitch/unhitch with the hatch open (and seats flat) and actually watch the ball as you back towards the trailer. I find that much easier than camera's and guesswork.
2) New trailer haulers often struggle with backing up the trailer. The trick is to hold the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and turn the wheel (gently) in the direction you want the trailer to go. Try this and you'll find it takes the confusion out of backing up. I've saved marriages at the boat ramp with this one :)
Thanks for the info! This is what I towed, and I didnt dare back up with it. haha I should have found a big parking lot and tried to though, just to get the feel of it. Having a brand new car and towing for the first time made me nervous. I'm so glad I can now do this though!! Now I'm like, "ok what else can I tow!!??"

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,727 Posts
Thanks for the info! This is what I towed, and I didnt dare back up with it. haha I should have found a big parking lot and tried to though, just to get the feel of it. Having a brand new car and towing for the first time made me nervous. I'm so glad I can now do this though!! Now I'm like, "ok what else can I tow!!??"

View attachment 474694
Probably a good thing you didn't try backing that up if backing up a trailer is new to you. Something that short with the axle so close to the hitch ball can be very frustrating to back up because even a minor turn of the steering wheel makes a big turn with the trailer. Trying to learn with something like that might scare you off from something bigger, when in reality bigger and longer trailers can be pretty easy to back up with a little practice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From the looks of that picture, you are doing everything right. I like the way you criss crossed the chains. I have been towing boats and trailers for 50 years. Backing up is tricky when you trailer something small like that log splitter and easier with a bigger object like a boat. My advise to you is to take it real slow. The slower you back up the better. Easier to correct a small mistake before it becomes a bigger one..

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Probably a good thing you didn't try backing that up if backing up a trailer is new to you. Something that short with the axle so close to the hitch ball can be very frustrating to back up because even a minor turn of the steering wheel makes a big turn with the trailer. Trying to learn with something like that might scare you off from something bigger, when in reality bigger and longer trailers can be pretty easy to back up with a little practice.
Yep. That thing would be a challenge for someone new!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,791 Posts

View attachment 474694
Looks like the chans are tight together to the same hook on the right of the hitch.
They are supposed to be crossed under and then hooked in left and right.
But maybe I am seeing it wrong in the picture?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'd agree with the others.A short trailer like that is a bear to back up. A trailer that has a shorter wheelbase than the the towing vehicle can be a [email protected] to back up as the slightest move of the steering wheel can send it off at hard angles. Ideally, you want a longer wheelbase on the trailer than the tow vehicle for it to behave. ( Think about it. A tractor Trailer "big rig" is designed to have a short wheelbase on the truck and a long one on the trailer. )
FWIW, if I had to back that trailer up, I would do so with the hatch open. That way I could see the trailer going hard off course before it jackknifed and hit my bumper. When using mirrors alone, that can happen before you know it. Been there -Done that.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Looks like the chans are tight together to the same hook on the right of the hitch.
They are supposed to be crossed under and then hooked in left and right.
But maybe I am seeing it wrong in the picture?
So what you are seeing in the picture is how the rental place set it up, there was only one chain with that one closing clasp attached. So, I guess that wasnt right of them to do it that way? The chain is looping back on itself to keep it off the ground.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,791 Posts
So what you are seeing in the picture is how the rental place set it up, there was only one chain with that one closing clasp attached. So, I guess that wasnt right of them to do it that way? The chain is looping back on itself to keep it off the ground.
Yeah, that's how it looks like, and that's not how it should be. Here is a picture of how it should be hooked up:

https://www.westmarine.com/

Note how the chains are crossing under the trailer tongue, that's important. The reason is that if the trailer comes off the ball, the tongue will be resting on the chains, and will not hit the pavement. The possible tongue movement will be restricted. That way, the trailer will keep following the tow vehicle, instead of the tongue hitting the ground, and the trailer trying to go sideways / tipping over.

·
Registered
209 Posts
masterhitchpalatine.com

The fellow that owns Master Hitch in Palatine, IL can probably answer your questions regarding hitches for your ‘20 Outback. He installed a Frame Mounted 2”receiver hitch on my 2017 OB 3.6R. While it has a 4,000 rating, it has a 4 pin connector so it won’t handle trailer brakes. But it’s rock solid and I have towed several decent loads of kids furniture with it and have had zero problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

So it looks like the consensus is to never get close to the tow capacity of the car . Got a 2020 premium 2.5 with 2700 pounds capacity and am looking for pop up campers.
Since I’m in the mountains , sounds like I should stay below 2000 pounds camper including load which is certainly doable with some of the lighter Flagstaff pop ups (approx 1600 pounds dry weight). They also come with electric brakes so that certainly should help.

Thoughts ?

Should I seek to be even below 2000 pounds considering the mountains or you think 2000 pounds fully loaded should be ok ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
4 Posts
I got the factory installed hitch on my net 2020 Touring-XT. Saved a lot of pain of DIY or aftermarket installation. The hitch is covered by the warranty and all of the wiring was properly installed. I have been towing my 1200 lb teardrop trailer with a 2005 Toyota Highlander (V6 engine) with zero problems. I can't wait to see how the Subaru 2.5L turbo compares.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I got the factory installed hitch on my net 2020 Touring-XT. Saved a lot of pain of DIY or aftermarket installation. The hitch is covered by the warranty and all of the wiring was properly installed. I have been towing my 1200 lb teardrop trailer with a 2005 Toyota Highlander (V6 engine) with zero problems. I can't wait to see how the Subaru 2.5L turbo compares.
Keep us posted on how it goes, and send pics if you can!

41 - 60 of 93 Posts