Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
15 Posts
Just got the hitch put on my 2020 Onyx XT, 2 " receiver.
View attachment 482976
That looks great and much better than my factory install. My cutout is narrow. So narrow that I can't use my bikerack with an integrated pin. I'm going to ask the dealer to review this when I take it in for service.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,199 Posts
Just got the hitch put on my 2020 Onyx XT, 2 " receiver.
View attachment 482976
Interesting. I like that. Did you ask for the oversized cut-out or did Subaru change the template? Seems like the extra space will make it allot easier to install anti-rattle and locking hitch pins and such. One of the reasons I opted for the Curt was to get that clearence.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Interesting. I like that. Did you ask for the oversized cut-out or did Subaru change the template? Seems like the extra space will make it allot easier to install anti-rattle and locking hitch pins and such. One of the reasons I opted for the Curt was to get that clearence.
The updated template in the instructions has indicators to better show where to tape it when marking out the cutout... it's still the same size and shape as the old one though. I had posted something about the revision in a response in a thread I started early on prior to the release of the accessory originally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The past two weeks, I have had a chance to test how well my Onyx can tow. Testing my snowmobile trailer carrying my 140 lb 12’ boat, I got 24 mpg. After three trips pulling my 1700 lb boat up and down western NY hills, I am getting 18.5 mpg. That is almost exactly what my 2011 outback got. But, wow, what a difference in power. I can now easily accelerate on highway ramps and go up and down those hills. Pulling the boat up the launch ramp is also much easier. The only down side is the stop/ start. It does not play well when pulling a trailer. I make sure to turn it off. Overall, I am very pleased with the turbos performance. Glad I bought her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I apologize if this was answered somewhere already, but I did not see it. Is the factory Subaru hitch 2” or 1.25”?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
90 Posts
On my 2014 Outback Premium 2.5i, I installed a TorkLift EcoHitch with the 2" receiver. I used a Curt harness and left in the wheel well. I had a 6MT and never got around to towing a trailer, but I hauled three bikes on a Yakima rack with that hitch. I'll likely get the same model for our 2020 XT. I really like the design and implementation and we have an approved installer here in Austin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 469078

So I had a long discussion today with a Subaru service manager. He was adamant that they don't install ebrake wiring and if I have it done elsewhere I void my warranty as if something with towing or electrical were to go wrong. I don't see how he can be correct since the manual (above) clearly states that the trailer needs brakes to get the full tow rating. I need to decide what to do soon. About to tow my trailer for the weekend. any advice?!
PS I have a dealer installed hitch and 4 pin wire but need the module and 7 pin connector wired.
I have same problem with this purchase! 2020 outback xt. Bought as towing rated 3500 pounds. But refusal of dealership to put on 7 pin wiring harness. I bought it with intent to pull camper (2700 pounds gvwr) that may not need, but does come with 7 pin wiring plug. AND my current smaller camper already has 7 pin plug (as needed for its on-board battery charging trickle system.
Called dealership sales mgr yesterday. He seemed truly surprised that the Owner's manual says I must have trailer brakes for towing below 3500. I pointed out the inconsistancy between Manual that says I must have electric brakes for towing anything over 1000 pounds, and nationalwide selling this model as capable of trailering up to 3500 pounds but refusal of Subaru to mount electrical harnessing that will enable vehicle to actually due that under the requirements of following the Owners Manual.
What was the word used earlier? Disengenuous!
More: I called Subaru of America: the dude went upstairs and back down: their answer in form of email documentation was : "I have documented on our end as a design flaw for the vehicles. Also in regards to modification on the vehicle. If modification causes the point of failure then that repair becomes not a matter for warranty but all other warranties are still in place for the remainder of the vehcile."

I am not happy. Not finished either. In any case: 2020outback xt's: Buyer Beware

Any happier outcomes with this issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Figured I'd start an argument.

;)eagleeye edit: US spec 2019 out going models have 200 lb tongue hitch max
as per

Interesting note, the 2020 2.5L naturally aspirated model with the OEM hitch lists (2700lbs trailer/270lbs tongue), while the 2.4L Turbo lists a higher capacity now with the same hitch (3500lbs trailer/350lbs tongue).

View attachment 469078

Ok. Discuss among yourselves.
Follow up to my prior post: here again is owners manual for 2020 Outback.

My problem is that they want trailer brakes on any trailering over 1000 pounds. But they refuse to put on proper wiring harness setup for doing that! Then they get fussy on the warranty thereafter, if I hire someone else!

I should have fixed my post to say I am wanting to buy a new camper that is under 3500 pounds, but Subaru with their "disingenuous" approach to trailering behind this XT, I am thwarted in the moment. I have towed a 1500 pound camper for 6 years behinds a 2014 Outback or a 2009 Forester all over the country with no problems, both cars are wired with 7 prong, but have had no trailer brakes. If I get that bigger camper I want trailer brakes. But Subaru has failed me to this moment. And I do not want them getting squirrely with the warranty on my new Outback. Particularly as they are happy advertising its 3500 pound towing!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Follow up to my prior post: here again is owners manual for 2020 Outback.

My problem is that they want trailer brakes on any trailering over 1000 pounds. But they refuse to put on proper wiring harness setup for doing that! Then they get fussy on the warranty thereafter, if I hire someone else!

I should have fixed my post to say I am wanting to buy a new camper that is under 3500 pounds, but Subaru with their "disingenuous" approach to trailering behind this XT, I am thwarted in the moment. I have towed a 1500 pound camper for 6 years behinds a 2014 Outback or a 2009 Forester all over the country with no problems, both cars are wired with 7 prong, but have had no trailer brakes. If I get that bigger camper I want trailer brakes. But Subaru has failed me to this moment. And I do not want them getting squirrely with the warranty on my new Outback. Particularly as they are happy advertising its 3500 pound towing!!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts