Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
It’s the 10.6. It’s pretty rad!
They look it. Light enough for the vehicle yet beefy enough to get places. How does it town behind the outback on trails? Im guessing it's fine on the road but would you actually be able to get it back into a spot in the woods?

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is my set-up. Not the best photo. First off, if you have a 2020, install the hitch yourself. It’s Super easy. You and a buddy can do it in an hour and you will save yourself probably $400-$500 hundred. ****, FaceTime me when you go to do it and I’ll walk you through it! As far as 7 pin, if you live in a city or a town of decent size, there’s probably an auto electric guy. I live in bend Or, and there is a bunch of them. Guy did a great job, and it cost me $700 bucks, which include the $250 Bluetooth brake controller. If the 7 pin was a dealer install or an “option” it would cost way more. I would probably avoid RV dealers to install your electrical. I don’t really trust that business industry as a whole, and those guys that work in the back come and go like the wind. Pick a guy who’s career is auto electric. I use the curt Bluetooth brake controller. Works great! This is the XT and the trailer weighs probably 2000lbs. I definitely notice it’s back there, but the XT does a great job yanking this thing around. I do not feel like the car is overmatched. I’m having the primitive racing lift put on this week. The stiffer springs will help with rear end sag. Intall your hitch and have a pro to do your electrical.
View attachment 485786
Hey Charliepup, I live in Bend also and have a 2020 OB Tour XT. Love the Nobo tralier setup. Do you mind sharing the auto electric guy you used. I have installed the Curt 2" but no wiring yet. I want to pull a small trailer for camping but not a toy hauler. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Charliepup, I live in Bend also and have a 2020 OB Tour XT. Love the Nobo tralier setup. Do you mind sharing the auto electric guy you used. I have installed the Curt 2" but no wiring yet. I want to pull a small trailer for camping but not a toy hauler. Thanks
Hey, his name is Karl Wagner and he owns Custom Auto Electric. The guys at Bend Battery recommended him as the first guy in town that I should call. I couldn’t be happier with his work. He’s a cool guy to talk to as well. He’s invented a bunch of different electrical gadgets over the years. Best of luck! Let me know how he works out for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They look it. Light enough for the vehicle yet beefy enough to get places. How does it town behind the outback on trails? Im guessing it's fine on the road but would you actually be able to get it back into a spot in the woods?
I haven’t done any true off-roading, but there’s nothing that leads me to believe the trailer isn’t capable of some pretty serious off road. The limiting factor would be departure angles. Many of the trailers designed for off road have a better departure angle with a 45 degree upward slant on the back of the trailer. But I think this trailer will go most places I could get my Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
372 Posts
Stupid question here. Can the 2020 OB Touring XT pull the NoBo 16.8? Or will filling the water tank make it too heavy?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stupid question here. Can the 2020 OB Touring XT pull the NoBo 16.8? Or will filling the water tank make it too heavy?
I’m also curious, being new to towing, if our (XT trims’) 3500-lb towing capacity is supposed to be greater than the GVWR of the particular trailer we want to tow (with tongue weight up to 11% of the towing capacity)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, his name is Karl Wagner and he owns Custom Auto Electric. The guys at Bend Battery recommended him as the first guy in town that I should call. I couldn’t be happier with his work. He’s a cool guy to talk to as well. He’s invented a bunch of different electrical gadgets over the years. Best of luck! Let me know how he works out for you.
Thanks very much for the referral. I will call him.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Outdoor XT 2020
66 Posts
I'm also new to towing but personally I would opt for a vehicle with 5000lb towing capacity, or look for a lighter trailer.

3179 is the dry weight. From that weight, if you add your stuff that will stay always inside (kitchen tools and dishes, bedding, etc), food, camping furnitures, wood logs, bicycles, personal luggages, etc, etc. You will reach way more than 3500lb. Also, you need to take in count your luggage inside the car.

On my side, I'm currently looking for a popup trailer of 1500-1800lb. So it's why I traded my Forester for the Outback. I was looking for a minimum of 2000-2500lb capacity, given that I will carry at least 500lb of gear. 500lbs sounds high, but do some calculations with everything you'll bring and you'd be surprised. And the more space you have in the trailer, the more stuff you'll bring.

A safe rule is to check your towing capacity against trailer GVWR which include all weights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@aspexin19 ... I'd have to say no on the 16.8 for the same reasons other have mentioned ... Once you start loading it (and your vehicle) you are going to be overweight. Out of the NoBo lineup I think you are limited to the 10.5 or 10.6 like @charliepup has.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone know of a camper that we can tow with the 2020 OB that also has the bathroom? Not too concerned about a kitchen as we can always cook outside. [edited to add no portapotty jokes I know this group too well...]
There's a lightweight camper from Canada called the Outback (of all things) that I was looking at. There's a picture on their site of an Outback hitched up to an Outback. It's available with a portapotty, jokes not included. But I could never quite figure out whether the weight was right for the car, I'm new to this myself. Plus I found the site kind of sparse, could've used more pics and more info in general. Cute campers, though.

I'll look through my bookmarks later on and see what else I had saved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know of a camper that we can tow with the 2020 OB that also has the bathroom? Not too concerned about a kitchen as we can always cook outside. [edited to add no portapotty jokes I know this group too well...]

[edited again to add I found this pricey happier-camper but looks doable]
I own a new OB XT and am in the same market. I am looking at the Rpod 171 and the Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 154BH (2600 dry). Let me know what you find. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a fan of the Vistabule (no bathroom) teardrop. It's a small manufacturer so it's high priced, but cheaper than the airstream. It's also a 6 month backorder.
I love those, they were one of the first ones I started investigating. For me, the downside of a teardrop is no standing up. If I'm in a big-enough tent, at least I can stand up and walk around inside.

One thing I like about this and some other teardrops I've seen is that there's access to the bed from both sides.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
741 Posts
Bed is really a futon in this one so can have a couch and table during day. Options also include air conditioner (needs plug-in) and/or heater (propane). With the windows you can look all the way through it while towing to still see behind you. 1500 lbs.

121 - 140 of 181 Posts