Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stupid question here. Can the 2020 OB Touring XT pull the NoBo 16.8? Or will filling the water tank make it too heavy?
I’m gonna say no way at all. Even if just for the fact that the Subaru is a fairly light car. A bigger trailer will push you all around. I think the CVT is also a limiting factor. You would be surprised how quickly the weight ads up when you start putting camping gear etc inside a trailer.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
372 Posts
I own a new OB XT and am in the same market. I am looking at the Rpod 171 and the Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 154BH (2600 dry). Let me know what you find. Thanks
Oh wow that Rpod 171 looks great!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know of a camper that we can tow with the 2020 OB that also has the bathroom? Not too concerned about a kitchen as we can always cook outside. [edited to add no portapotty jokes I know this group too well...]

[edited again to add I found this pricey happier-camper but looks doable]
Check out the forest river E-pro or geo pros 15tb’s. They make a cool little trailer that has everything inside. 2400lbs! Super rad little dudes.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
372 Posts
I may be giving up using our 2020 OB Touring XT for towing. Seems most trailer campers with bathrooms are overweight. Would be nice if there was a spreadsheet of something that would work. But there isn't and so I'll be looking at a used vehicle for towing. Something that can handle 5000lbs as 3500lbs seems to be you can't tow much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a short note on my towing experience with a 2020 limited; non-turbo engine. First, this was a motorcycle trailer, so not a lot of wind drag as a camper trailer, and the build thread for the trailer is here: Bought a Port A Chopper

Trailer weight is 275 pounds and motorcycle is approximately 600 pounds plus so assume under a thousand pounds. Towed in New Mexico and Colorado so some higher elevation. In the car I had another approximately 600 pounds (including me and gear but not weight of gas). Car handled great with trailer. No swaying or ill affects. Gas mileage was consistently in the high 20's. Engine power was adequate and the only time I felt the turbo engine would have been nice was when forced to pass; I say "forced" because I'm retired and typically drive in a relaxing mode. Suspension and brakes worked well but was a bit surprised at how much the rear suspension sagged; however, never felt it bottom out on big hits.

For my application, I feel this car does the job, with little stress I might add, and no complaints. I really like the fuel range as one doesn't have to stop a lot for gas.

For towing a travel trailer or anything with more weight and wind resistance, I would recommend the turbo engine. And maybe even the Ascent. This is just my opinion and happy towing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rented an older R-Pod 171 probably about 3000 + lbs when i hooked it up to my 2020 Outback XT.

It handled OK, a little bit of the tail waging the dog. The surprise was when I got it on the highway and up to 65/70 mph the mileage was terrible, well under 10 mpg and at times down to 6 mpg and that's holding it steady on a 3% grade you could almost see the fuel gauge falling.

On the way back I slowed down to 55 mph and averaged in the mid teens. It does fine pulling two ATV's on a snow machine trailer less than 2000 lb.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rented an older R-Pod 171 probably about 3000 + lbs when i hooked it up to my 2020 Outback XT.

It handled OK, a little bit of the tail waging the dog. The surprise was when I got it on the highway and up to 65/70 mph the mileage was terrible, well under 10 mpg and at times down to 6 mpg and that's holding it steady on a 3% grade you could almost see the fuel gauge falling.

On the way back I slowed down to 55 mph and averaged in the mid teens. It does fine pulling two ATV's on a snow machine trailer less than 2000 lb.
According one site I looked at, GVWR = 3500 lbs. Sounds like you may have been pushing it a bit with that trailer.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback xt
64 Posts
Instead of reading through 151 posts, can somebody just break it down for me. Realistically, how much could my Limited XT tow? Hoping for at least a pop-up and there will be mountains. Hoping to camp around Crested Butte.

·
Registered
24 Posts
According one site I looked at, GVWR = 3500 lbs. Sounds like you may have been pushing it a bit with that trailer.

FarnsAK. Thanks very much for the useful information. I have a 2020 OB XT (Tour) and was thinking of buying an Rpod 171. After reading this I will not. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Instead of reading through 151 posts, can somebody just break it down for me. Realistically, how much could my Limited XT tow? Hoping for at least a pop-up and there will be mountains. Hoping to camp around Crested Butte.
Max for the ob is 3500. That is with gear and weighted down ... and the max. Since you'll have all the passes and at elevation you'll want to stay below that if possible. I've been looking around as well (in Colorado Springs) and seeing some that chick in dry at 1800 and load out at 2500-2700 seems like it would be the sweet spot for getting through all the mountain passes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The listed dry weight of that 171 was 2475, the fresh water was 3/4 full and it at other things in the unit I suspect it was close to max GVW. I was thinking of buying an R-Pod and driving it back to Alaska. At 55 mph and 16 mpg it would be a long, slow, expensive trip. What the **** may do it anyway slow down visit some friends, see the USA and Canada for a couple months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The listed dry weight of that 171 was 2475, the fresh water was 3/4 full and it at other things in the unit I suspect it was close to max GVW. I was thinking of buying an R-Pod and driving it back to Alaska. At 55 mph and 16 mpg it would be a long, slow, expensive trip. What the **** may do it anyway slow down visit some friends, see the USA and Canada for a couple months.
Eager to hear how that goes for you. Let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback xt
64 Posts
Max for the ob is 3500. That is with gear and weighted down ... and the max. Since you'll have all the passes and at elevation you'll want to stay below that if possible. I've been looking around as well (in Colorado Springs) and seeing some that chick in dry at 1800 and load out at 2500-2700 seems like it would be the sweet spot for getting through all the mountain passes.
That is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
4 Posts
Currently having a teardrop trailer built that will weigh around 850 pounds and does not have trailer brakes. I'm within Subaru's spec for the tow rating without brakes, however I'm concerned about the tongue rating of only 100 pounds without trailer brakes. Once the Outback and trailer are loaded up with gear I imagine I'll be above 100 pounds, but well below the absolute max limit of 350 pounds. Anyone think this is a terrible idea or will I be okay? My gut tells me I'll be fine as long as I don't get crazy with it, especially seeing some of the stuff that others tow with their Outback, but I don't have too much towing experience so would appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
52 Posts
Currently having a teardrop trailer built that will weigh around 850 pounds and does not have trailer brakes. I'm within Subaru's spec for the tow rating without brakes, however I'm concerned about the tongue rating of only 100 pounds without trailer brakes. Once the Outback and trailer are loaded up with gear I imagine I'll be above 100 pounds, but well below the absolute max limit of 350 pounds. Anyone think this is a terrible idea or will I be okay? My gut tells me I'll be fine as long as I don't get crazy with it, especially seeing some of the stuff that others tow with their Outback, but I don't have too much towing experience so would appreciate any thoughts.
Typically, you should have tongue weight = 10% of the total tow weight. Load things back or forward in the trailer until you get there. That small you could use a bathroom scale to get it perfect.

141 - 160 of 181 Posts