Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 996 Carrera 4S, ‘68 Mustang Fastback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time Subie owner here and this is my 2nd day in my Onyx XT. The miles to empty shows 160 miles but the tank is 98% full per the gauge. The app shows the same numbers. The Average MPG is way off too. I know how to reset the trip counter, but do I need to reset the range? If so, how?

Has anyone seen this? My last SUV was a '16 Range Rove
r Sport SVR which was a beast but nightmare to own. I hope this works itself out. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium ES
160 Posts
The car has probably done a lot of sitting and idling at the dealer before you picked it up for website pictures, etc. Once you continue actually driving the gas and not just idling the average MPG and the distance to empty will adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
927 Posts
Like Ktiemann said above, don't worry about mileage during the first tank of gas.

Also, the mileage figures are very inaccurate when you first reset the trip counter. This is because the mileage is calculated with fuel used and distance traveled since the counter was reset, in the beginning, small changes to either can have huge swings in mpg calculations.

I reset my trip counter every fill up, so it is always fun to see mpg numbers in the 60mpg range when coasting on a flat road at 45m/h.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Like Ktiemann said above, don't worry about mileage during the first tank of gas.

Also, the mileage figures are very inaccurate when you first reset the trip counter. This is because the mileage is calculated with fuel used and distance traveled since the counter was reset, in the beginning, small changes to either can have huge swings in mpg calculations.

I reset my trip counter every fill up, so it is always fun to see mpg numbers in the 60mpg range when coasting on a flat road at 45m/h.
Or the opposite way right after a fill up with a lot of full throttle take offs for the first few lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts