Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Onyx / ICM
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Outback XT Onyx for a little over 200 miles now, and I feel like this car isn't as quick as my 2015 Forester XT.
Does the throttle and acceleration get better after the break-in period? What are other XT owners' thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Had the Outback XT Onyx for a little over 200 miles now, and I feel like this car isn't as quick as my 2015 Forester XT.
Does the throttle and acceleration get better after the break-in period? What are other XT owners' thoughts on this?
I didn't have a Forester XT but I had a WRX. The Outback XT's turbo has less lag and the turbo "hit" isn't so sudden. I've had turbos that felt like someone came up behind my car and was pushing it - that push yourself into the seat surge, yet the overall acceleration of the Outback XT is probably about as fast as the FXT. Using a bluetooth OBD II dongle and Torque Pro I saw boost of around 14.x pounds.

During the break-in period if you're staying below 4000 RPM then it's natural that the car won't feel as fast.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx / ICM
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have a Forester XT but I had a WRX. The Outback XT's turbo has less lag and the turbo "hit" isn't so sudden. I've had turbos that felt like someone came up behind my car and was pushing it - that push yourself into the seat surge, yet the overall acceleration of the Outback XT is probably about as fast as the FXT. Using a bluetooth OBD II dongle and Torque Pro I saw boost of around 14.x pounds.

During the break-in period if you're staying below 4000 RPM then it's natural that the car won't feel as fast.
Thanks for your input. Fellow Silver Onyx owner here too. Yeah I'm hoping after the break-in period, it feels more responsive. It just feels really sluggish off the line unless I floor it. But that's after it crawls around for a few seconds beforehand.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
0-60 the forester XT is quicker, not by a lot, but it is. As pointed out already, outback will feel slow as it is a heavy car and there is some turbo lag as compared to the Forester. Have driven both Forester drives like a go-kart...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,593 Posts
Thanks for your input. Fellow Silver Onyx owner here too. Yeah I'm hoping after the break-in period, it feels more responsive. It just feels really sluggish off the line unless I floor it. But that's after it crawls around for a few seconds beforehand.
It will always feel sluggish off the line. Once it's moving 20-30 and gets punched is when it shines. The Throttle calibration helps. Lots of discussion here on this topic if you search.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
133 Posts
They gave one as loaner and was not impressed for the price difference...

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
51 Posts
@H15A
Traded a 17 Forester XT for an Onyx XT and felt the same. Now at 4500K the engine has come to life. The only thing I miss was the SI drive but not so much any more as I have learned when and how to apply the throttle.

I have not done the throttle calibration yet and my throttle response is better than when new. I have also got into using manual mode to achieve a much more aggressive acceleration when needed.
In other words "Stick your foot in it"

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,528 Posts
+1 on the SI drive feature. It really transforms the Forester to be more palatable on the highway.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,945 Posts
I feel like the power delivery on the FA24F is more like that of a Euro turbo car, a progression in boost and accelerator versus the somewhat raucous nature of the FA20F.

Probably the biggest difference is in how the CVT chooses to operate, it seems very confused at times when I have driven an Ascent or a 2020 OBXT. I feel like I know what to expect when I have driven a CVT equipped WRX, Forester XT, or 3.6.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring - Abyss Blue Pearl
61 Posts
My opinion on acceleration:

'< 2000 rpm = weak
'> 2000 rpm = strong

·
Registered
2020 Onyx / ICM
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@H15A
Traded a 17 Forester XT for an Onyx XT and felt the same. Now at 4500K the engine has come to life.
That's what I was thinking. The car still has under 1k miles on it, so hoping it comes to life after. I feel like my FXT didnt have such a drastic change pre-break in period.

feel like I know what to expect when I have driven a CVT equipped WRX, Forester XT, or 3.6.
YES! Exactly. My FXT felt super responsive and predictable. With the onyx, I'm always guessing how much pull the car is going to crank out. Seems half asleep unless you are in the 3500k rpm range.

·
Registered
2020 OB Onyx XT - Abyss Blue Pearl
25 Posts
The 2020 OB XT engine/CVT combo was not engineered to give you a launch control type feeling off the line. Subaru wasn’t aiming for performance as much as they were focusing on refinement. Remember that turbos are Influenced by many factors, air temp, oil temp, etc. The OB XT is not a performance wagon. The turbo in the XT shines in the areas where most of the users will find themselves using the extra power: merging onto highway, passing, climbing grades, and towing.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,593 Posts
The 2020 OB XT engine/CVT combo was not engineered to give you a launch control type feeling off the line. Subaru wasn’t aiming for performance as much as they were focusing on refinement. Remember that turbos are Influenced by many factors, air temp, oil temp, etc. The OB XT is not a performance wagon. The turbo in the XT shines in the areas where most of the users will find themselves using the extra power: merging onto highway, passing, climbing grades, and towing.
Well stated. I'd add , playing on the backroads to your list as well.😀

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,945 Posts
Frankly I don't care about the performance aspect that much aside from what you mentioned. If the vehicle has Eyesight I am using Adaptive Cruise Control 99% of the time above 20 miles per hour. The non-turbo engine is just adequate enough, if I am getting the turbo I am want it for those situations in which I need the engine to be more than "just adequate" with a dash of sizzle for when I take my liberties otherwise :cool:

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
556 Posts
I don t know the ECU mapping for sure but I had a wrx and when it was HOT outside the performance suffered greatly as the ECU pulled more timing. (and that was even with a tune). Thats perfectly normal.
So if it s feeling sluggish when really hot you can try some premium fuel and see if that gets you a little more power.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
51 Posts
The 2020 OB XT engine/CVT combo was not engineered to give you a launch control type feeling off the line.
The Subaru CVTs I have driven XV for 58K miles FXT for 75K miles and the OBXT 4.7K were/ are not good off the line .

Probably the biggest difference is in how the CVT chooses to operate, it seems very confused at times when I have driven an Ascent or a 2020 OBXT. I feel like I know what to expect when I have driven a CVT equipped WRX, Forester XT, or 3.6.
The XV for sure and FXT in "I" mode were the same . That's why I traded the XV for the FXT. First week with the OBXT was the same and I was almost regretting dropping the FXT. Between the break in and learning the tendencies of the CVT (dropping RPMs off initial take off) I adjusted my throttle input and am really glad I made the move.

If I need to get off the line and up to speed I switch to "M" and run thru a few speeds, then pop back into Auto. This seems to get into boost faster and smoother than just Auto does. Seems the tune may be different in "M". I think tnat I feel better throttle response and less lag while in "M" but that could be just me. On the highway or hitting a steep grade or generally just driving spirited I will pop into "M" or downshift with the paddle to find a sweet spot letting you lay down the throttle and accelerate as desired.

My thought process is they gave us paddles and 8 speeds I'm gonna use them.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts