Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my Outback for 6 weeks and just noticed my odometer clicks over to the next mile when my tripometer is only at .7 of a mile. So the 3,100 miles on my odometer (which I considered high) is 30%, or 900 miles higher than it should be! Anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,871 Posts
The trip odometer is not on the same rotation as the odometer. If the ECM sees the mileage at say 120320.6 and you reset the trip odometer, the trip odometer starts at zero at the mileage you tripped it. So every time the odometer hits the next mile, the trip will be .6 behind. Same as if you reset the trip at 120320.3, the trip will be .3 behind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trip odometer is not on the same rotation as the odometer. If the ECM sees the mileage at say 120320.6 and you reset the trip odometer, the trip odometer starts at zero at the mileage you tripped it. So every time the odometer hits the next mile, the trip will be .6 behind. Same as if you reset the trip at 120320.3, the trip will be .3 behind.
Well that makes sense. I was hoping to knock off some of my miles but looks like my warranty period will expire sooner than expected?. Thanks

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
I’ve had my Outback for 6 weeks and just noticed my odometer clicks over to the next mile when my tripometer is only at .7 of a mile. So the 3,100 miles on my odometer (which I considered high) is 30%, or 900 miles higher than it should be! Anyone else have this issue?
The trip meter and the odometer use the same source to increment their values. In order to get your Trip OD and your odometer to increment to the next mile at the same time, you'd have to reset your Trip OD at the exact moment your odometer increments to xxxxx.0 miles.

In other words, don't worry about it. :p

BTW, you have two trip odometers, A and B.

Finally, in order to see a more accurate "short-term" estimate of your fuel efficiency, it is necessary for you to reset your trip odometer when you fill up, and for you to use the I-Set display that bases the MPG estimate on the current tank of gas, rather than a rolling average over numerous tanks.

Otherwise, you may be on the highway wondering why you're only getting 22.5MPG, instead of something closer to 30MPG.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Since you don't plan on selling it I'd take the money. Less hassle and really, unless the car was utterly neglected, the 24,000 mile difference is only about 10-15% of the life of the car.
The comment that "Unknown mileage" on the title will kill your ability to Tutuapp 9apps Showbox sell it is spot on. Be sure you really do mean to own it for 10+ years.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,186 Posts
No no, it's registering the miles correctly, just in octal code. Learn to read that, and all will be fine. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts