Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Prescott, AZ

Took delivery of my Subaru November 1st last year after having factory ordered it July 31st. I've constantly had problems connecting my Android Google Pixel 3 cell phone via BlueTooth. Druing a recent
business trip to Orange County CA I again lost the BlueTooth connection thus during my stay visited two Subaru dealers in Orange County. Both not only had trouble connecting my cell phone but
the service departmens tried their individual cell phones too. Phones were in pairing mode! Maybe 20 minutes my phone would finally connect but later maybe a hour later, the phone would
disconnect

My local Subaru dealer (Findlay) has witnessed my lack of connection problems. The dealer separately called Subaru HQ as well as I did same. So far both have indicated the head in the info screen needs to
be replaced. My Subaru was one of the initial Subarus to come off the line thus a "project" car for the time being. My previous Subaru was an 1994 SVX and only reason I sold it was one of my hobbies
(ToughGuyLevi) required a larger capacity for carring equipment.

Has anyone owning a 2020 Subaru Outback with the large entertainment screen experienced cell phone problems? Subaru HQ has called me several times to discuss the problem but we are playing phone
tag since I'm in Tax Season meeting clients for tax preparation. In conference during prior Subaru phone calls

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I also had an SVX! Regarding the android auto - yes many of us are having problems, but I have found a way that has worked to fix mine - it may not work on yours, and might be the same stuff you've already tried.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Took delivery of my Subaru November 1st last year after having factory ordered it July 31st. I've constantly had problems connecting my Android Google Pixel 3 cell phone via BlueTooth. Druing a recent
business trip to Orange County CA I again lost the BlueTooth connection thus during my stay visited two Subaru dealers in Orange County. Both not only had trouble connecting my cell phone but
the service departmens tried their individual cell phones too. Phones were in pairing mode! Maybe 20 minutes my phone would finally connect but later maybe a hour later, the phone would
disconnect

My local Subaru dealer (Findlay) has witnessed my lack of connection problems. The dealer separately called Subaru HQ as well as I did same. So far both have indicated the head in the info screen needs to
be replaced. My Subaru was one of the initial Subarus to come off the line thus a "project" car for the time being. My previous Subaru was an 1994 SVX and only reason I sold it was one of my hobbies

Has anyone owning a 2020 Subaru Outback with the large entertainment screen experienced cell phone problems? Subaru HQ has called me several times to discuss the problem but we are playing phone
tag since I'm in Tax Season meeting clients for tax preparation. In conference during prior Subaru phone calls

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought outback touring XT Feb 2020. I'm having the same issue with Bluetooth. It was paired then an error comes up about Bluetooth. I haven't reported it to dealership yet. But if I shut phone down and turn car off for a few minutes it will all start working again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought outback touring XT Feb 2020. I'm having the same issue with Bluetooth. It was paired then an error comes up about Bluetooth. I haven't reported it to dealership yet. But if I shut phone down and turn car off for a few minutes it will all start working again
Subaru replaced March 4th, 2020 the info panel in the center of the dashboard. Seems to pair with my Google Pixel 3 OK now plus pairs other smartphones too for testing purposes. When I press the talk button on the steering wheel so far I don't have to pray to hear OK response. I'll keep you abrest of my cell/Bluetooth connection. ken

·
Registered
2 Posts

disconnect

We have a new 2020 Outback and are experiencing the same thing and in addition sometimes even the radio won't work.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
We have a new 2020 Outback and are experiencing the same thing and in addition sometimes even the radio won't work.
Subaru has a TSB for the 2020 Outback infotainment system, but it's not solving everyone's problems. Don't know if it will help yours but if you're taking it to the dealer it's worth asking them about it. TSB 15-261-20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to check into that.
Subaru has a TSB for the 2020 Outback infotainment system, but it's not solving everyone's problems. Don't know if it will help yours but if you're taking it to the dealer it's worth asking them about it. TSB 15-261-20

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had same issues with the info screen in my 18 to the point i traded it in on a 2020. I have some random issues where my IPhone 11 Pro just disconnects while plugged up for Apple Car Play. The Driver scanning system will randomly turn it self on even though I have turned it off in the system when i start. I had one instant where i started my car and the screen never loaded. Have not discussed with my dealer yet. May take the car to them next week while i am working from home. If his continues i may trade car in for something else after hat i went through with my 18 Outback

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Subaru 2020 Outback XT Touring BlueTooth Connection problems

November 1st 2019 took delivery of the above. Almost about two weeks later, my Google Pixel 3 cell had problems within a month connecting and/or when connected, disconnect. Problematic since I live in Prescott, AZ since September 2018 yet travel back and forth to my Orange, CA office to serve my financial planning/tax preparation clients. Both Findlay Subaru here in Prescott and Orange Coast Subaru in Santa Ana, CA have had their "hands" trying to resolve my connection problems. Oh - one might think it's my cell phone but not to be since techs at both agencies have experienced the same connection issues. After contacting via emails/phone Subaru HQ (all parties involved have been very supportive - timely correspondence/emails etc) on March 4th my unit behind the touch screen was replaced. Whew - my cell phone connection worked great BUT almost two weeks later you guess it
back to the drawing board! Connection issue raised it's ugly head again!! Another email to Subaru HQ plus a visit to Findlay Subaru. Service coordinator Robert Frank again witnessed my cell phone issue he experienced with his own cell. Earlier today I received a call from Robert informing me a Subaru HQ engineer had called him and informed him and Findlay's parts manager to ORDER A TOUCH SCREEN REPLACEMENT. The BlueTooth "unit" is "housed" in the screen - the part previously replaced was related to the radio/computer but NOT the BlueTooth. As a sidebar my Outback was ordered July 31st 2019 and I took delivery November 1st 2019. Probably one of the initial cars delivered to dealerships. My car which Robert Frank doesn't like me to call it is a Project Car! When I asked Findlay's parts manager to order me a full spare tire for my car, he said it wouldn't fit. Again the car is new and had to explain to the parts manager the ONYX has a full spare thus could fit in my cargo area with a difference foam housing for the spare tire tools. Also ordered July 31 LEDs for the cars interior yet where one really needs LEDs in the cargo area, incandescent bulb was lighting this area. A Sylvania LED P21 bulb was aquired from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Took me about 5 minutes to replace the incandescent bulb. Wow, what a difference a LED bulb makes!! Know I've written quite a bit but wanted to share with you the above

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carried my 2020 to dealer this afternoon. Gave them a list of items and also the TSB number 15-261-20 which they did say applied to my vehicle. I am gong to as why if the TSB applied to my car, why had i never been notified

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
3 Posts

disconnect

I just bought a 2020 Outback Touring XT and was having Bluetooth and Android Auto setup problems. I ended up replacing my 6' USB C cable for a new 3.3' from Amazon because I wanted to clean things up a little by going to a shorter cable and voilà ,,, my Bluetooth and Android Auto synced right up. I did not expect that at all, and find it hard to believe they could be related since Bluetooth is wireless and should not have anything to do with a USB cable.. They have been working flawlessly, Phone calls over Bluetooth, music, etc. . ever since. Android Auto worked with the 6' cable but I kept seeing little error messages popping up occasionally on the phone.
I should note that My 2018 Outback Limited was having Bluetooth connectivity issues ( same phone, same cable, same problem ) and I was suspecting it had been my phone that was the problem.

Cables apparently matter. Hope this helps out and good luck.

Was out for an extended drive this weekend, in cell range, out of cell range, multiple car starting and stopping, plugging in and unplugging the cable and never had a Bluetooth or Android auto issue since going to the new cable. I am calling my issue solved...

I should also note, I always connect up my USB Cable because Subaru has not enabled wireless Android Auto ( not sure if they are planning on it either ). Bluetooth would usually flake out when I tried to make or take a call and I had not put two and two together. Android Auto must have been trying to resync or initialize through Bluetooth as part of its normal startup process.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Carried my 2020 to dealer this afternoon. Gave them a list of items and also the TSB number 15-261-20 which they did say applied to my vehicle. I am gong to as why if the TSB applied to my car, why had i never been notified
Had you been in for a service issue after that TSB was released? Unless it’s a service campaign, they’re not proactive... if you were in with an issue that a TSB addressed, then sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts