Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2021 Crosstrek Sport (Plasma Yellow Pearl) last week. Checked the oil level at the dealership (cold car) prior to pick-up and noted it was full, but did not pay it close attention; goal was just to make sure there was sufficient oil in the engine. Just checked oil level again and it is a solid 0.5" above the full dot on the dip stick; cold car etc. Will drive the car up on ramps this weekend to inspect it fully; will adjust the oil level also appropriately.

Other than the sloppy oil level observation, the car is relatively spacious and quite lively. Have replaced the map and dome lamps with Philips Ultinon DE3175 LED bulbs. Have also added Husky Liners, but am in two minds regarding the fit of the liners in the car, and may send it back; there is some restriction (full motion) of the accelerator pedal with the front left mat, and the fit of the rear one-piece mat over the hump is not the greatest. It does cover better than the factory liners however. Will see.

Have ordered side moldings, rear differential under guard, wheel locks, a black animal lover license plate frame, and a couple of other items from SPFY; good folks to work with.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,403 Posts
Congrats! I am very tempted to get a Crosstrek sport myself - the 2.5 engine is a game changer!

I would return any mat that interferes even slightly with any pedal.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I doubt that little of an overfill will cause any damage.

My son keeps trying to talk me into a Crosstrek as my next vehicle.....he's a good salesman but not that good.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
I am just curious to know what prompted you to check the oil level in the first place? Were you under the impression that it would be overfilled or would not be adequately filled with motor oil from the factory or something else?

Are you aware of the fact that direct injection engines such as these experience fuel dilution that can temporarily cause the oil level to appear higher than normal?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, my worry was lack of adequate fill, and this was not an issue. Separately, I take gloves, paper towels, a tire pressure gauge, a grocery bag and even a torque wrench to dealerships. I have even adjusted out of whack high tire pressures on a new car (not the Crosstrek) in front of the service crowd. They were surprised. This is when they were checking off tire pressures as proper on the new car checklist.

My titan also has a direct injected V8, no dilution related issues with it, but I have only 20K miles on it. The Crosstrek was driven for a solid @20 miles prior to being parked last, and sat for a couple of days until I checked the level this morning. The oil does not smell of gas. I suspect that the oil is at most less than 1/2 quart overfilled.

Separately, the Crosstrek owners manual (I have a PDF copy from the Subaru site (have not opened my paper copy as yet) indicates a higher fill capacity for the 2 liter engines vs. the 2.5 liter engine; I believe it is 4.7 quarts for oil and filter change on the 2 liter vs. 4.4 quarts for the 2.5 liter Crosstrek. Not sure if this is a typo; will follow up to clarify. I know our 17 OB Premium is 5.1 quarts, but I add 5 quarts and it is good for my 5K mile change intervals.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
613 Posts
Brand new automobiles imported from Japan may have a high oil level due to short-run engine starts (as many as 50) required when the vehicle is transported from the assembly plant, across the ocean, and finally to the dealer’s lot. Dipstick Oil Analysis: How to Check Oil
If I remember correctly, the Forester, and Crosstrek are made in Japan.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,338 Posts
Honestly, my worry was lack of adequate fill, and this was not an issue. Separately, I take gloves, paper towels, a tire pressure gauge, a grocery bag and even a torque wrench to dealerships. I have even adjusted out of whack high tire pressures on a new car (not the Crosstrek) in front of the service crowd. They were surprised. This is when they were checking off tire pressures as proper on the new car checklist.

My titan also has a direct injected V8, no dilution related issues with it, but I have only 20K miles on it. The Crosstrek was driven for a solid @20 miles prior to being parked last, and sat for a couple of days until I checked the level this morning. The oil does not smell of gas. I suspect that the oil is at most less than 1/2 quart overfilled.

Separately, the Crosstrek owners manual (I have a PDF copy from the Subaru site (have not opened my paper copy as yet) indicates a higher fill capacity for the 2 liter engines vs. the 2.5 liter engine; I believe it is 4.7 quarts for oil and filter change on the 2 liter vs. 4.4 quarts for the 2.5 liter Crosstrek. Not sure if this is a typo; will follow up to clarify. I know our 17 OB Premium is 5.1 quarts, but I add 5 quarts and it is good for my 5K mile change intervals.
I have also experienced overfilled 2.5 engines with the reduced capacity on the newer models, but no negative side effects. I think there is also a note in the owner's manual about the oil level appearing a bit high first thing in the morning, so there is a chance that what you found is normal. If you're really curious go back to the dealer and check other similar new cars on the lot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received a few accessories from SPFY today. They even included a couple of boxer engine key chains and a pair of XV Crosstrek lanyards in the package. Added wheel locks, side moldings and a black Subaru Pet Lover license plate frame this afternoon. Will add the differential skid plate in a few days.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
Received a few accessories from SPFY today. They even included a couple of boxer engine key chains and a pair of XV Crosstrek lanyards in the package. Added wheel locks, side moldings and a black Subaru Pet Lover license plate frame this afternoon. Will add the differential skid plate in a few days.
View attachment 496692 View attachment 496693 View attachment 496694
Everything about that looks amazing, Subaru really hit a homerun with the styling improvements for 2021. Let us know what you think of the engine in it :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A few pros and cons after a week of ownership. Overall summary is very positive, but there are some opportunities as well:
  • Pros:
    • Fit and finish is perfect for the car, as built.
    • Road manners: Ride and handling is controlled and tight; drive is confidence inspiring. Soaks up bumps and has impeccable (for us) irregular road surface manners.
    • Sufficient power. Separately, my son drives an 18 Premium with 6-speed and the 2 liter engine in AZ. When I rode in his car, I thought the car had sufficient get up and go. Our Sport with the 2.5 liter is quite lively and can get up to non-legal speeds reasonably quickly. Basically, it is quite "sporty". Please see the MT review Here. And this is the C&D review
    • The infotainment system is responsive, 8" screen is high resolution, sound system is adequate for our needs. Still learning about all features; automatic WIFI update capable.
    • The seats are adequately comfortable, both front and back, and there is plenty of passenger space, including leg and head room. I like the StarTex coverings.
  • Cons:
    • No rear center fold down arm rest (with cup holders). This is available in the limited trim; not sure of the Premium. This is a notable omission in the Sport. I was aware of this prior to purchase; not a major issue for us.
    • Conventional halogen capsule lighting - This is terrible; even worse than the projector low beams on our 2008 OBS (demised) and certainly substandard vs. the headlamps in our 2017 OB Premium. Our 20-22 year old BMWs have better halogen lighting. Fog lamps are relatively easy to replace with quality units. Will seek out genuine solutions for the low beam lamps. I was aware of the lamps prior to purchase, but had not driven the Sport in dark prior to purchase. Subaru cut cost here. Separately, the limited comes standard with LED lamps, both headlamps and fogs.
    • There are 2 connected USB ports and a 12V socket in the front cubby; this is great. There are also two charging USB ports and a 12V socket under the arm rest console, hidden. The USB ports, and possibly also the 12V socket should have been located on the rear of the center console in plain, finished sight. I was also aware of this prior to purchase. I am sure Subaru will fix this oversight quickly.
    • Though our Sport with sunroof package includes the 8" screen, blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic traffic alert, these additional safety features should not have been tied to the sunroof package in the Sport. They should be standard across the various trims.
Overall a great purchase and we got an immensely solid deal, no regrets. As stated above, the lighting is the largest con at this point. Once you add the sunroof package to the Sport, the sticker price comes close to the limited without the sunroof package. The limited does have better lamps, RAB, leather seats (not an issue for us) and the rear armrest with cup holders.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,338 Posts
Surprised Subaru didn’t go LEDs for all trims like they’re doing with their other 2021 models. The LED headlights are one of the biggest improvements in our 20 Outback over our 19 Outback.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a brief update on what I initially thought was high factory fill oil. I changed the oil and filter last month @1350 miles. Used a Mahle OC1177 filter and Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 oil. Added about 4.4 quarts. Checked the oil level after a few days and the level is above the high mark by a bit under 1/2". After this observation, I am not concerned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts