Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at a stoplight and the engine shut down will not start. I use my remote start and got it started but as soon as I shifted it out of park it shut off. And the rear automatic braking light was on, and also no eyesight.

of course I am 1000 miles from home on vacation and now the dealership don’t know if they can give me a loaner or not. When I bought the car, they said I would always get a loaner if there was something that needed to be fixed on the car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,580 Posts
When you remote start you have to press the start button again with the fob present, or if your fob is dead you can press the fob against the start button.

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you remote start you have to press the start button again with the fob present, or if your fob is dead you can press the fob against the start button.
Thanks, I tried that also. Been through this when the car was a week old. I thought it was fixed. Really upset as we brought our ebikes and the rack is electric that needs a 7 pin electrical connector, so can’t just hook to any vehicle!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,639 Posts
Sorry about the predicament you are in.

The purchase dealership that told you you'll always get a loaner is 1000 miles away, both figuratively and actually. You are unfortunately going to have to deal with the service dealership on the matter.

Is everyone that is involved aware of your predicament - that you are on vacation, 1000 miles away from home, held up until the repair is completed, and there's an unknown amount of time involved to resolve the issue and let you get on your way? I think the term involved here is "consequential damages"; they have to repair your car under warranty, but they don't have to deal with the disruption to your vacation and extreme inconvenience. That necessarily doesn't mean they won't do anything about it, but you do have to ask for what you want.

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealership offered to let me trade in my 2021 on a 2022 OB Touring for my car and $20,000. I told him that I think $20,000 is a little steep for using a car for one year. Called Subaru of America and they have been good but didn’t think to ‘overnight’ my part to the dealership. He also said he would pay up to $150 per night for a hotel room. I got a loaner of 2022 Forester Wilderness. Makes appreciate the OB’s ride and comfort. Hopefully we get the car back on Friday as I’m running low on my pills, didn’t plan to stay this long . Had 2 days xtra but should’ve packed 5 days xtra.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,252 Posts
as I’m running low on my pills, didn’t plan to stay this long . Had 2 days xtra but should’ve packed 5 days xtra.
See if you can get an emergency supply, you'll need to coordinate with your insurance and a local pharmacy, but the last thing they want is someone running out of pills they need!

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at Toyota Venza now, we need a dependable car. I’ve had 3 outbacks, so it might be time for a change or maybe I’ll try the lemon law. Seems like they all have troubles. 2016 had to have its rear wheel bearings replaced. I hear all the ones who have had good luck with Subaru.
This one needs a new brake modulator

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
or maybe I’ll try the lemon law.
This isn't something you do on a whim because the vehicle broke down on you once. I get that it's frustrating, but there are certain requirements that must be met in order to invoke this, which many people don't seem to understand before they toss out the term...

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
194 Posts
This isn't something you do on a whim because the vehicle broke down on you once. I get that it's frustrating, but there are certain requirements that must be met in order to invoke this, which many people don't seem to understand before they toss out the term...
Kind of like tossing out 'class action lawsuit'. :)

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You correct. I have read up on this action and it is a process. This is not the first breakdown and warranty repair for this car. The Subaru dealership here said he had never seen so many warranty claims as this car has when he pulled up the history of the vehicle. The service person is the ones who suggested it To me although he said don’t tell anyone that I said that.
I have always been an advocate of Subaru, I have 4 neighbors that have bought Subarus due to me. Plus a brother-in-law.
I know that I’ll be razzed when I get home.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
You correct. I have read up on this action and it is a process. This is not the first breakdown and warranty repair for this car. The Subaru dealership here said he had never seen so many warranty claims as this car has when he pulled up the history of the vehicle. The service person is the ones who suggested it To me although he said don’t tell anyone that I said that.
The challenge is that you generally need a certain number of repair attempts for the same issue, or 30+ days in the shop in a certain time frame, in order to qualify for the LL. Generally you can consult a LL attorney at no cost so it's worth asking, and if they do take up the case their fees are paid for by the vehicle manufacturers so there's no cost to you. BUT, they won't take the case if they don't think they can win it.

·
Registered
2019 OUTBACK 2.5 TOURING
304 Posts
Every state has a different "lemon law" with often very different elements. Most all will though have a stipulation of the same problem being repaired multiple times...usually three. Having a water pump replaced under warranty and having the radio replaced under warranty do not qualify as Lemon Law eligibility in most all cases. Having the transmission repaired three times and it still not being properly operative would most likely qualify.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,580 Posts
Most lemon laws also require that the defect/issue be one that significantly affects the value, functionality/utility, or safety of the car.

Reactions: Baggss and dhawk

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subaru has always been good about fixing things for me on all my OBs. This is the first time it left me stranded. At my age I’m not very tolerant of this and is one of the reasons I keep buying new cars. We travel quite a bit in our retirerment, a don”t want to spend it in a shop waiting for repairs. I keep up to date all the services a keep record, so they can’t say I don’t keep up my end. So when I complain, I feel I have the right to.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,580 Posts
Of course you have a right to complain as well as whatever legal remedies are available to you. Subaru's just a manufacturer of vehicles it's not a deity for which criticism is heresy. Some cars are trouble free and others have numerous significant issues. My current Outback is in-between. My last two Subarus were absolutely trouble-free but my first one, a 1992 SVX, blew a transmission and the dealership did a 100% buy-back (it also frequently stalled after a hot restart). Did not have to go through lemon law.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,580 Posts
I almost forgot - my first 2020 Outback developed a misfire so bad that it could only limp - seemingly on only 2 cylinders, had it towed to the dealership and two weeks later they exchanged it for a different one - this was within the first week of ownership that it had this issue, and when I got the new Outback they told me the old one just had a loose connector, which I find hard to believe because if they found a loose connector why would they give me a whole new car? It's not like I created a big stink about it.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
865 Posts
I almost forgot - my first 2020 Outback developed a misfire so bad that it could only limp - seemingly on only 2 cylinders, had it towed to the dealership and two weeks later they exchanged it for a different one - this was within the first week of ownership that it had this issue, and when I got the new Outback they told me the old one just had a loose connector, which I find hard to believe because if they found a loose connector why would they give me a whole new car? It's not like I created a big stink about it.
Yeah, that really makes one look at the dealer with a raised eyebrow. There was something more than a loose connector there. Glad they took care of you though.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium 2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza -2019 Volkswagen GLI 35th
192 Posts
Font Rectangle Handwriting Circle Number

But this is from last month, Consumer reports- It places them in all different locations for what will last - Even then I have a 2021 Tundra that I lease to tow my camper and it is a oil burner for no reason. I do not care since it is a lease and the dealer has been good about it.

So it still comes down to all luck !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts