Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
912 Posts
I’m curious about a Lead Acid replacement for an ASE Outback, instead of an AGM. Just curious.
I had been thinking, not willing to commit, about the same thing.
  • I suggest that the ASS would need to be disabled. This is because I believe the ASS is the problem draw on the battery.​
  • The vehicle should be a daily driver to keep the battery properly charged. This is because of all the unknown things going on with the electronics during rest periods. This is only a guess so at least the battery condition should have close monitoring. An alternative would be to hook up a float charger to emulate a charge obtained from driving.​
  • Preparation for connecting a battery maintainer/float charger should be considered. Longer periods of non operation may need a charge supplement. I don't know this is needed, but maybe.​
  • Data including battery voltages at specific intervals need to be collected to verify proper charge is maintained.​
These batteries don't last long when subjected to repeated discharges. However, it would be appreciated if someone was to hook one up and gather data for different conditions. Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Here is the guy I was talking about - but it was on his Forester:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Outback- rolled off the lot 7 days ago. I live in Anchorage and we’ve had our fair share of cold weather this week. That said, I’ve driven my car everyday since purchase without issue but went to start it today and the battery is 100% drained. I can’t find any reason why it would be (no lights on, all doors closed, actually one of the warmer days this week). I’m taking it to the dealership on Friday and will keep you all posted on the findings - but wonder if anyone has heard of anything like this? Should I go into the dealership ready to request they put in a new/better battery?

A week old car dying seems super suspect and I’m hoping it’s just a fluke!

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
A similar thread is this: 2021 onyx battery drained today

Basically people with the factory 620 CCA EFB battery seem to have a high failure rate, and people who have them replaced with a Subaru 640 CCA EFB battery seem to do just fine. If your dealer tries to get you a battery from a third party (non-Subaru battery) it must be AGM or EFB and NOT a regular flooded battery.

There are also rare instances where someone has parasitic draw but most of the time these battery failures seem to be defective batteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Basically people with the factory 620 CCA EFB battery seem to have a high failure rate, and people

Basically people with the factory 620 CCA EFB battery seem to have a high failure rate, and people who have them replaced with a Subaru 640 CCA EFB battery seem to do just fine. If your dealer tries to get you a battery from a third party (non-Subaru battery) it must be AGM or EFB and NOT a regular flooded battery.

There are also rare instances where someone has parasitic draw but most of the time these battery failures seem to be defective batteries.
Found a similar case posted on Reddit about the same issue with a Limited (for reference, I have a Premium). They got the battery replaced (620 to 640) and have had no issues since.

(Thread link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Subaru_Outback/comments/kjgq5n )

So sounds like that’s likely what I am dealing with. Thanks for the insight! I’ll see how it goes Friday at the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2021 Outback 2 weeks ago and when I picked up the car there was a service report indicating that they had to replace the battery even before I received the car. Not sure what battery they replaced it with as the report did not indicate.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
I bought a 2021 Outback 2 weeks ago and when I picked up the car there was a service report indicating that they had to replace the battery even before I received the car. Not sure what battery they replaced it with as the report did not indicate.
Pop the hood and take a picture! If it says 640CCA it's a battery that so far has seemed to be reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have a 2021 Outback- rolled off the lot 7 days ago. I live in Anchorage and we’ve had our fair share of cold weather this week. That said, I’ve driven my car everyday since purchase without issue but went to start it today and the battery is 100% drained. I can’t find any reason why it would be (no lights on, all doors closed, actually one of the warmer days this week). I’m taking it to the dealership on Friday and will keep you all posted on the findings - but wonder if anyone has heard of anything like this? Should I go into the dealership ready to request they put in a new/better battery?

A week old car dying seems super suspect and I’m hoping it’s just a fluke!
Good luck I’m here in anchorage as well and they basically told me they could not reproduce the fault, as it got warmer, so there is nothing they can do

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
189 Posts
Picked up our 21 OB Tour XT on 11/21. Just went out and checked and we have the 620 batt. No issues thus far and car has sat for several days at a time w/o being cranked. Going in around 2/1 for a follow up w/ our salesperson and to have the cargo net installed. Should I push to have batt replaced or would I be in same boat as foxman? Also, does anyone else here have a problem finding the hood release lever inside the car. I had to get a flashlight to find the thing. Should at least have contrasting color for the lettering.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Picked up our 21 OB Tour XT on 11/21. Just went out and checked and we have the 620 batt. No issues thus far and car has sat for several days at a time w/o being cranked. Going in around 2/1 for a follow up w/ our salesperson and to have the cargo net installed. Should I push to have batt replaced or would I be in same boat as foxman? Also, does anyone else here have a problem finding the hood release lever inside the car. I had to get a flashlight to find the thing. Should at least have contrasting color for the lettering.
They won’t replace unless found defective

41 - 51 of 51 Posts