Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new car and noticed there's a huge discrepancy with the Full Auto Temp control. I set the temp for the driver and passenger at 70 degrees. It got unbearably hot, I had to turn the temps settings to 65 in order to get the system to react (lower fan speed and reduce air discharge temp). This can be replicated. Wanting to find out just how out of whack the controller was, I put a digital room temp monitor in the car on the center console and went for a drive. Set the temp to 70. It got up to 78.6 degrees before I backed the temp setting down to 65 to get the system to back off. With data in hand, I took the car back to the dealer and had it checked out. The dealer service writer said "the system is working within Subaru parameters" and there was no way for them to change it.
Clearly, these parameters are not acceptable. What will happen come summer ? Will I have to set the temp to 60 in order to get a comfortable temp ? I told the service writer that my 2005 GMC pickup does a better job of temp regulation and that a friend of mine owns an Infinity and NEVER has to touch his temp controls other than to set the desired temp. I'm a first time Subaru owner and I love the Outback except for this issue. This could be a deal breaker for my next purchase.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
The dealer may not realize it, but there is a way to adjust how the temperature control works.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer may not realize it, but there is a way to adjust how the temperature control works.

I turned off the Auto Stop. Besides, This happens when taking a 60 minute drive down the expressway and also happens when the car is idling in my driveway. I can achieve a 70ish degree interior if I set the temp for 65 right from the start. That's not right. I've been told there are 3 temp sensors in the vehicle. The software isn't taking an average of the 3 or one or more of the sensors needs to have an offset applied to it. I read the thread supplied and there are other posts with the same issue and that a tech did find the offset on one car was set for +3 on that car. So there is a fix it seems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I turned off the Auto Stop. Besides, This happens when taking a 60 minute drive down the expressway and also happens when the car is idling in my driveway. I can achieve a 70ish degree interior if I set the temp for 65 right from the start. That's not right. I've been told there are 3 temp sensors in the vehicle. The software isn't taking an average of the 3 or one or more of the sensors needs to have an offset applied to it. I read the thread supplied and there are other posts with the same issue and that a tech did find the offset on one car was set for +3 on that car. So there is a fix it seems.
I called my dealer service manager and he said he's "never heard of the settings" but he is going to look into it since I read to him the steps to change the offset. Baby steps in the right direction :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
It's a good sign when a dealership is willing to learn something new.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have never used a thermometer to see if the indicated desired temp was the actual temp that the interior was cooled to ... I just dial a temp that I think I need & if it's too hot or cold I adjust it accordingly.

Please let us know how this is resolved - hopefully the dealer will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
I wish we had a dedicated thread for all of the settings that can only be performed by the dealer. Owners have our own menu, there's the Dealership mode, and the Factory mode via the infotainment system that we owners can also access, but some things require the Subaru Select Monitor tool (SSM).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just had a thought ... when I got my 2021 Outback I was also a little disappointed in that it seemed to blow warm air ... all the time. I finally noticed the icon on the display showed that the air was on re-circulation. Ugh, clicked it off & now the world's a better place ... Fresh outside air.

Felt a little embarrassed that I did not see that sooner. :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts