Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nah, it's never too soon to speculate!

When will see it auto shows? As early as April, probably? That's only 6 months away!
Probably on sale in July, I'm guessing?

What do we expect/want to see? We know there will be very few changes, but maybe a couple of tweaks here and there, maybe a couple of additions.

In particular, I'm interested to see what happens with the infotainment. Head units are something that do change year to year sometimes, but I'm doubting significant changes will happen from year 1 to 2 given how much went into this new headunit.

But I wonder if Subaru will listen to user feedback and provide actual buttons for the seat heaters and XMode again.

And will there still be an Onyx trim? Will anything change there?

I'm probably going to wait long enough to pull the trigger on a 2020 Onyx that I'm going to wonder if it's worth waiting a bit longer for the 2021...typical Subaru buyer, I guess.

Use this thread to speculate away...

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
188 Posts
Indeed, typically very minor tweaks at year 2 and even year 3 before the mid-cycle refresh. I'd speculate in 2021:
  • A new paint color or two
  • Minor tweaking of suspension or steering components. Reprogramming
  • Minor tweaking of infotainment screen. De-bug
  • Maybe add more nanny stuff like an electronic reminder for useless parents to check the back seat of their car to make sure they didn't forget their kids.
It will take the midyear refresh 2023 to correct major deficiencies:
  • Correct fundamental deficiencies to the infotainment screen like bringing back more real buttons for things like X-mode, seat heaters, easily disabling of destructive start/stop "feature"
  • Revised front end and rear end styling (to transition evolution to upcoming gen 7)
  • Update actual suspension components
  • New wheels

·
Registered
2020 Black Subaru Outback Touring XT
88 Posts
I doubt by the 2021 Rollout they will have fixed things that buyers are complaining about now, I don't think they have that fast of a turn around. When i bought my 15 STI new they took 2 years to listen about things they did wrong and fixed them for the MY17 editions.

*I just hope they figure a better way to add the hitch then the current way

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
269 Posts
One thing I can NOT stand is the nanny feature on SiriusXM mode where it defaults to channel 1 upon shutdown/startup when you are listening to a station flagged for mature content. It's rediculous and NOTconistent. Mine defaults to channel 1 from most of the Hip Hop and R&B stations but not for the Rock stations.

Did they get rid of the nanny feature on the 2020? How about a way to disable it?

Sooooo stupid. I hope the new Head Units boot faster too. Mine tends to lag especially if I don't give it a minute to boot up before pulling off. Totally annoying when you make short stops for things like gas.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Magnetite Gray
13 Posts
One thing I can NOT stand is the nanny feature on SiriusXM mode where it defaults to channel 1 upon shutdown/startup when you are listening to a station flagged for mature content. It's rediculous and NOTconistent. Mine defaults to channel 1 from most of the Hip Hop and R&B stations but not for the Rock stations.

Did they get rid of the nanny feature on the 2020? How about a way to disable it?

Sooooo stupid. I hope the new Head Units boot faster too. Mine tends to lag especially if I don't give it a minute to boot up before pulling off. Totally annoying when you make short stops for things like gas.
DUDE - Is that what is happening?!? I've been trying to figure this out on my 2015 OB. I've been thinking the HU has been losing memory.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
269 Posts
DUDE - Is that what is happening?!? I've been trying to figure this out on my 2015 OB. I've been thinking the HU has been losing memory.
Lol. Yeah. It blows. I read this one here.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts
I hope the 2021 Outback offers an overhead view on the limited and touring 2.5 and XT. I would also like to see insulated side insulated glass as standard on all models. Do serious work on road and engine noise. Do a rethink on the infotainment display and make daily used items "one-touch". Continue to upgrade the interior quality with better storage in the console. Finetune all the eyesight components.

Reactions: subie_newbie2017

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,434 Posts
My wish list for the infotainment system controls:
-It would be nice to see the burried USB's and AUX input move out of the dash storage slot and onto the bottom edge/corner of the IT screen. That would make them accessable and the storage slot actually of a usable size.
-The ability to bring deeply burried controls (like S/S, X mode, etc) directly onto the home screen as direct shortcuts would be nice too.
-How about a built in Boost guage for XT models. Maybe in the widget field.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
157 Posts
A heads up display that includes speed, etc...I know we have the warning lights now but to see turn by turn and speed would be awesome.

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
313 Posts
Assuming I continue to be happy with my '19 Outback, I will be looking at the 2002 model...providing it has a simple on/off button for the stop/start function.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,436 Posts
Assuming I continue to be happy with my '19 Outback, I will be looking at the 2002 model...providing it has a simple on/off button for the stop/start function.
On a 2002 Outback? Unlikely :p

Reactions: Bebba1

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,434 Posts
I wish for an Onyx XT with HK stereo, heated steering wheel, and Sound Deadening glass!
That gets back to my thoughts that the Onyx should not be a trim level. It should be an option package available on all models. Want a Premium, Limited, Limited XT, Touring or TouringXT with Onyx Offroad package ( Blacked out wheels and trim, Duel X mode and full sized spare )? You can order it regardless of trim and engine choice!. that way you could hand pick your trim level based on standard options ( like HK, Drivers recognition, etc) and get the Onyx cosmetics and offroad features.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts