Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the 2021 Outback Onyx XT and considering getting a pod or basket for the top, perhaps from Thule. Are the integrated crossbars sufficient for most pod/basket solutions or will I need to purchase separate crossbars?

I've never had a vehicle with this sort of capability so this is completely new territory for me. The most tech/feature advanced car I've owned is a base 2012 Mazda 3 so forgive me if I am coming across like a troglodyte.

·
Administrator
1,130 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums,

Yes, the integrated crossbars are more than sufficient for a cargo pod/basket. Just keep in mind the load weight and you'll be good.

C.

Reactions: McStagger

·
Registered
34 Posts
What’s the max load folks have gotten on these bars? In all of my cars (jeeps, volvos, Toyota and an 04 suby) our new 21 is the first one I don’t have Thule bars on. We have four roof boxes (don’t ask) and in the winter we typically need to use a skybox 21 or Thule motion xt xxl and load 15 pairs of skis for a weekend (ski racing coach & family). At 20-30lbs per pair this goes way over capacity but we’ve never had a problem before on Thule crossbars. The integrated flip suby crossbars while neat dont seem very sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited 2.5
151 Posts
What’s the max load folks have gotten on these bars? In all of my cars (jeeps, volvos, Toyota and an 04 suby) our new 21 is the first one I don’t have Thule bars on. We have four roof boxes (don’t ask) and in the winter we typically need to use a skybox 21 or Thule motion xt xxl and load 15 pairs of skis for a weekend (ski racing coach & family). At 20-30lbs per pair this goes way over capacity but we’ve never had a problem before on Thule crossbars. The integrated flip suby crossbars while neat dont seem very sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have a 150# max weight limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts