Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear air vents-- not there. Odd omission for a 30k vehicle. The vent hardware is under 60 bucks-- but the process to install it looked more complex than SpaceX Dragon capsule -- which i assume has rear air-vents as standard equipment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's weird - I just picked up a 2021 Premium as a loaner (my 2020 is in getting all its software updates)....and it has rear air vents.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Rear air vents-- not there. Odd omission for a 30k vehicle. The vent hardware is under 60 bucks-- but the process to install it looked more complex than SpaceX Dragon capsule -- which i assume has rear air-vents as standard equipment.
A 30k vehicle is about 6k below the average price of a new vehicle these days. Not sure why you would expect rear air vents. Gotta cut corners wherever possible to maintain that price point.

Reactions: 2012 2.5premium cvt

·
Registered
2017 Ram Big Horn 8' Bed 4X4 6.4 Hemi
208 Posts
So no AC to the rear seat?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I thought only the base lacked these? Anyone have pictures to share?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,427 Posts
Not from a rear vent. Just what hits from the front. Very odd that they would skimp on something so basic. I learned a lesson. Never assume. Wondering how much to add one.
Someone else looked into adding a rear vent and gave up because it was too involved but it can be done. I'm the type of person who doesn't like air blowing directly on me so I direct my vents along the doors and between the seats so my rear passengers would be fine without vents. Truth be told, the rear vents aren't very strong anyways, but I can understand wanting them. If you're truly wanting to do this I can dig up diagrams and parts lists for you.

Start by checking this post: Rear AC vents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone else looked into adding a rear vent and gave up because it was too involved but it can be done. I'm the type of person who doesn't like air blowing directly on me so I direct my vents along the doors and between the seats so my rear passengers would be fine without vents. Truth be told, the rear vents aren't very strong anyways, but I can understand wanting them. If you're truly wanting to do this I can dig up diagrams and parts lists for you.

Start by checking this post: Rear AC vents
Thanks. I found a part and diagram for a 2020 (does not fit 2021) 2020 Subaru Outback Console Air Vent (Rear) - 92145AN00A - Genuine Subaru Part

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guess not, in my case.
I don't have them either. The Premium (a 2021) I was just given as a loner had them - but it had leather seats (which I wasn't too impressed by - and that's odd, considering this is the first car I've had without leather since 1998).

The CRV I looked at at the same price point had them, so I'm not sure why someone would say "oh the car is too cheap".

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't have them either. The Premium (a 2021) I was just given as a loner had them - but it had leather seats (which I wasn't too impressed by - and that's odd, considering this is the first car I've had without leather since 1998).

The CRV I looked at at the same price point had them, so I'm not sure why someone would say "oh the car is too cheap".
that should be a limited trim then. The 2021 brochure lists the premium as having cloth option seating surfaces (but a leather steering wheel).

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

Honda maintains the below average price point on the CRV by giving it a wheelbase 4" shorter than the OB. Size does matter.

Cars selling for less than the average price usually don't have all the bells and whistles of cars selling above the average price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honda maintains the below average price point on the CRV by giving it a wheelbase 4" shorter than the OB. Size does matter.

Cars selling for less than the average price usually don't have all the bells and whistles of cars selling above the average price.
Odd, since I've bought brand new cars that cost below average (four Accords) in their time and yet were top of the line, with every conceivable option you could get on the vehicle, from leather to sunroof to V6 engine.

This is my eighth vehicle, and only the second I've owned that wasn't brand new. I still am dumbfounded that a Premium lacks rear vents. It's hardly an upscale item.

The Nissan station wagon we had when I was in high school had them (I'd never seen them before then, and they were assuredly appreciated by me as the backseat passenger on our long car trips). It didn't even have power windows and was a five speed manual - and that's mostly why I'm surprised they're not in this vehicle. Good Lord. Backseat vents are hardly cause to be borderline catty. We're not talking about a bottom end HRV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
that should be a limited trim then. The 2021 brochure lists the premium as having cloth option seating surfaces (but a leather steering wheel).
They probably mismarked the key tag then. Wouldn't be the first time. I know Honda and Nissan trim levels but definitely not Subaru's so I wouldn't know all the nuances.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts