Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 5th Outback. A 2021 XT Touring. Overall this is a stunning vehicle, but there are some things I’m very disappointed with.

1. Subaru continues to use AT&T for Starlink. AT&T has, at best, spotty service in much of rural America. While their connectivity may be inexpensive, you get what you pay for. If I’d wanted inexpensive I’d have bought a Hyundai. Rather, I bought a top-of-the-line, fully loaded Outback. I can’t remotely start my car 50% of the time because AT&T shuns rural America. At the same time I have full coverage on Verizon. That Subaru still doesn’t provide better coverage options is unacceptable.
  2. The WiFi system will save WiFi networks but won’t auto connect. Even my cell phone with true 5G (Verizon, not the fake junk AT&T offers), this car requires I enter my pwd every single time. I even have outdoor WiFi APs (I’m an IT engineer so I’m a bit of a nerd with technology in and around my home) & my Outback shows saved networks but requires I enter pwds every time. I called Subaru at the behest of a Play Store comment. The representative was condescending & unhelpful. He clearly knew of the issue but told me I should wait 12-18 MONTHS for an update. Let’s see, $45,000 Outback & they can’t get it to auto connect to WiFi when $200 chromebooks can & do all day long? Unacceptable.
  3. This makes 4/5 Outbacks where Subaru used the absolutely worst junk for tires they could. These Yokohamas are terrible in the rain. Of course I didn’t get to test drive one in the rain & car reviewers rarely do that either. So Subaru puts dismally rated tires on their flagship & expects people to be safe? B traction tires shouldn’t even be legal, but given Goodyear makes a tire that has significantly better reviews, has an A traction rating, & costs less makes me wonder who’s in bed with whom over there making horrible tire decisions. The Bridgestone Dueler HPs on my 2017 & the Continental Pro Contacts on my 2011 were also god awful tires. Guess I’ll be forking out for new tires once again. Sad.
  4. I get it, auto stop/start is a thing but it’s flat out dangerous. Today the @&$# thing turned my engine off & I needed to pull out into traffic quickly. This is going to get someone killed before the lawsuits start for manufacturers to turn this junk off by default. I know I can turn it off but I have to do it every time. I watched it. I saved all of 0.039 gallons today by the on board computer (which I highly doubt is totally accurate). Do the math. That’s maybe 13 gallons a year. $26. Is that really worth the risks it creates?
  5. TomTom. What an embarrassing thing. It’s up to date with 2019 map info. 2019. Do they seriously expect people to pay for this junk when Google Maps, Waze, & even Apple Maps are updated daily? Of course you also can’t totally turn it off or disable it.
Well anyway overall this is an amazing car. It handles far better on dry pavement than my 2017 even though it had Pirellis (rain is embarrassing in this car). But for what this Subaru costs there’s just no excuse for some of the issues. Having condescending reps answering calls doesn’t help them either.

BTW, it’s faster to 60 than my supercharged MINI Cooper S so it’s quite fun in that regards, though the MINI loses the Outback in corners. ;)

·
Registered
5,711 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’re suggesting people plug into one of the EyeSight cameras? Thanks, no. I’ll deal with the hassle of turning it off manually before jury rigging (this, BTW, is most certainly a hack despite what they say) a connection that’s critical for the most important safety improvement in decades. I’m betting these guys have some disclaimer that says you’re on your own if something goes wrong. Thanks. No.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
You’re suggesting people plug into one of the EyeSight cameras? Thanks, no. I’ll deal with the hassle of turning it off manually before jury rigging (this, BTW, is most certainly a hack despite what they say) a connection that’s critical for the most important safety improvement in decades. I’m betting these guys have some disclaimer that says you’re on your own if something goes wrong. Thanks. No.
I agree. Was surprised to see it was plugged into the Eye Sight harness. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,308 Posts
Regarding WiFi: my 20 logs into my home network whenever I pull into the garage, so I don’t know why mine saves the password but yours doesn’t.

Google maps and full screen CarPlay for me.

I’m in the minority that likes start stop. Once you learn it’s idiosyncrasies it’s fine, though xt owners seem to complain about it more than 2.5 owners.

Yokos are certainly better than the Duelers on our 19. We’ll keep them until they wear out, currently estimating 35k, then switching to Toyo AT3’s.

I’ve actually had Starlink work where Verizon didn’t and thought it was from a satellite, but from what you’re saying I guess it was a remote area where AT&T worked and Verizon didn’t. We use it for road assistance and crash notification; remote start wastes gas so never use that.

Enjoy your car. After one year and 20k miles we’re still liking ours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding WiFi: my 20 logs into my home network whenever I pull into the garage, so I don’t know why mine saves the password but yours doesn’t.

Google maps and full screen CarPlay for me.

I’m in the minority that likes start stop. Once you learn it’s idiosyncrasies it’s fine, though xt owners seem to complain about it more than 2.5 owners.

Yokos are certainly better than the Duelers on our 19. We’ll keep them until they wear out, currently estimating 35k, then switching to Toyo AT3’s.

I’ve actually had Starlink work where Verizon didn’t and thought it was from a satellite, but from what you’re saying I guess it was a remote area where AT&T worked and Verizon didn’t. We use it for road assistance and crash notification; remote start wastes gas so never use that.

Enjoy your car. After one year and 20k miles we’re still liking ours.
Remote start may waste a little gas, but when it’s well below freezing just hopping into a car & driving off with subzero oil temps it’s not good for the engine. I also am willing to give up a few pennies on gas for a car that’s not freezing cold for 15 minutes because it takes forever for a Subaru to warm up.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,664 Posts
If the auto start/stop stops the engine just push the brake pedal harder and it instantly fires back up ready for you to hit the accelerator at any time you need to.

This has got to be the easiest way to start the engine if it stops, but very few people take the time to read the owners manual and it appears very few dealers are educating their customers who purchase new vehicles.

Seagrass

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just bought my 5th Outback. A 2021 XT Touring. Overall this is a stunning vehicle, but there are some things I’m very disappointed with.

...This makes 4/5 Outbacks where Subaru used the absolutely worst junk for tires they could...

...I get it, auto stop/start is a thing but it’s flat out dangerous...
AMEN!

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
So no mechnical complaints, except for perhaps very discussed start/stop feature. As for onboard GPS, you have your other options. GPS is really an optional feature that you got since you bought to of the line model. There are benefits in having GPS system that's always ready and does not require internet connection or phone.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White
354 Posts
Anyone who buys a new car need to find a forum like this one and get owners experience before buying. You should follow the threads for several months of each brand and model before making your purchase. This will give you the best information before you buy.

You can learn to control SS with your foot. There is no reason to fear not having power when you need it. For those that think it does not save gas, you need to share your data with the engineers that designed it. More regulations on MPG and emissions to come, more things like SS to come.

One of the first things we noticed with our 2021 Touring XT over the 15 limited is how quickly the cabin warms up on a cold day. This is a big improvement. The NAV is much better than the 15, I do like some of the features on my wife's 18 Crosstrek. Overall, much better than the 15.

Great car with great improvements in the brand. We are very happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2021 XT conects to my network without any problems. I just dont keep wifi on... but every time i turn it on it connects i dont have to re enter a thing... Tires i have yet to have an issue.. but then i am used to f250 and up trucks with AT tires and more HP running 2wd in the rain. I think the OB has way more grip in the rain. Its funny because i think the OB drives like a go cart compared to a truck 🤣.

Now i think tom tom works really good. But i live and drive were cell phones dont really work. I am shocked it has a lot of the township dirt roads in it. Lot dont have names but they come up.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,951 Posts
Everything you’ve mentioned, fortunately, is changeable, but not without cost.

If you are unhappy with tires, you can buy new tires. I’m eyeing the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail ones myself.

Although annoying, you can disable auto start stop with the button in your infotainment. AutoSS enables or not based on several conditions. One of these is outdoor temperature - saw that mentioned above. If the engine oil or coolant is below a certain temperature it will not enable. If the steering wheel is turned beyond a few degrees it will not enable. If you press the brake very hard or very light it will not enable.

I can’t speak on the WiFi connectivity but I believe I read something about how the original infotainment system required a USB-sourced update before all these things were enabled. Or, the signal is not good, and maybe you could try moving your router or adding an extender.

Regarding AT&T, I also have Verizon. I view it as a double security blanket - since I am confident in my coverage between both. I agree it would be ideal to have a choice, but here we are.

Regarding the Eliminator, I am going to use it. It doesn’t actively disable it every single time it comes on, it just remembers your preferences at startup. You can easily enable it again if you want without any drastic measures, just push the button again.

Navigation isn’t that important to me - and my Onyx doesn’t have it - because I plan on using my iPhone with CarPlay.

Enjoy your Subaru! The XT is a hoot!

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
620 Posts
As others have noted, on my Legacy I have only entered my wifi password and phone hotspot password once, have never had to do it again. As has been noted with S/S by the time I’ve buckled my seatbelt and chosen my radio station it is 2 seconds to turn it off and go. 3 seconds for me occasionally because I turn off the Driver Monitoring System on sunny days since it will disable itself if I put on sunglasses. As for the tires, and I know they are different sizes for the Legacy and Outback but they have been outstanding in the rain which we have had a ton of since getting my car. On my wife’s Onyx I have not heard her complain at all but I can’t speak directly to that. The tires are good enough that unless they prove to be awful in the snow when we get some I would gladly buy the exact same tire again with no hesitation.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT; 2005 Outback XT
477 Posts
Why are people needing/wanting the car to connect to their home wifi? What does that get you?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts