Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Why are people needing/wanting the car to connect to their home wifi? What does that get you?
street cred.

beyond that, you can either update state maps if you have navigation, or if there is a firmware release, you can update that.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Why are people needing/wanting the car to connect to their home wifi? What does that get you?
I wonder the same thing/ I have turned off in my current vehicle.

Reactions: XTKU and walker

·
Registered
18 Posts
Now I know am getting old,,,

1 and 2, I could care less about wi-fi too distracting

3 Tires- all reviews no matter who or what , there is always some bias for or against the product your reviewing

4 Start/Stop- you were given a great option and your response was kind of harsh, it does take less than 2 seconds to disable it.

5 Navigation- see 1,2 and 4, plus you have options, use it or not.

I don’t know about you, but before I dropped 35K on my Onyx, I did my research, read reviews only then did I step foot on the dealers showroom.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
783 Posts
Most new cars gets the same, crappy, OEM tires, and have the same complaints about the nav and entertainment system. because all of the car companies are buying parts from the same catalogs.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I have the suspicion that aside from low cost, OEM tires are optimized for the test drive experience, which is what clinches the sale. They are designed to be soft and most people are fairly gentle on a test drive compared to how they'll drive when they own it, plus during a test drive the tire has full tread depth.

When I test drove the 2020 Onyx I had no particular complaints about the tire but after buying it, within a week I felt like it was just too mushy for my taste and sharp turns would make the tires feel like they're folding over (yes my tire pressures are good).

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
925 Posts
Some OEM tires are worst than others. For example, My wife 20 CRV came with Ecopias. I put Defenders on it right away and it made a big difference in ride and noise. My new Legacy not so much. Even though this Avid is not rated highly I can deal with it until they have about 20k on them.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
620 Posts
Even though this Avid is not rated highly I can deal with it until they have about 20k on them.
On Tire Rack there are few reviews since the tire is fairly limited to specific new models. But overall are positive, one of them is mine. Because it took over 6 months to get my Legacy and I have always had a perception that the original tires would not be the best I checked out multiple versions that I might replace them with.

On my previous Legacy I was running Continental Extreme Contact Sport which were excellent in handling both on dry and wet roads, but also harsh overall. But they, at that time, were not an option for the 2020 Legacy. The Avid Ascend GTs were highly rated and recommended for the Legacy. One complaint that kept popping up was noise. But I kept them in mind thinking I might replace the stock tires with them after driving on the originals for a couple months.

Well after almost 4 months now the Avids have been significantly quieter than the Contis. Handling on both dry and wet roads has been just as good. So quieter, more comfortable, equal handling make them my perfect tire. At least until snow arrives, but the Contis were definitely not a snow tire so my expectations should be easily met. If they’re available for purchase when the time comes I would probably buy them again unless I could be convinced there’s something better overall. But I see all the complaints - noise, harshness, traction, etc. - that almost all tires get. And I’m not experiencing any of that so it would take a lot of convincing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thats how Subaru says they will send some updates. I have yet to see anything on my 2021 Touring XT. Even my maps say up to date.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You’re suggesting people plug into one of the EyeSight cameras? Thanks, no. I’ll deal with the hassle of turning it off manually before jury rigging (this, BTW, is most certainly a hack despite what they say) a connection that’s critical for the most important safety improvement in decades. I’m betting these guys have some disclaimer that says you’re on your own if something goes wrong. Thanks. No.
Seriously? It simply is a location to access the system so that the auto stop setting can be remembered.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT; 2005 Outback XT
469 Posts
Thats how Subaru says they will send some updates. I have yet to see anything on my 2021 Touring XT. Even my maps say up to date.
I get that, but I don't see why one would need the car to constantly connect to the wifi just to check for updates. Those updates are not super common, maybe a couple times a year?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Seriously? It simply is a location to access the system so that the auto stop setting can be remembered.
Until you rear end someone and the insurance investigator finds something plugged into the eyesight harness that doesn't belong.

Reactions: jes2 and NEPA390

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If you rear end someone you're almost always at fault no matter what, eyesight or no eyesight, unless someone else hit you from behind and then again eyesight is irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If you rear end someone you're almost always at fault no matter what, eyesight or no eyesight, unless someone else hit you from behind and then again eyesight is irrelevant.
But your insurance company could claim the non-Subaru device plugged into the eyesight system caused the collision avoidance system to fail and deny your claim.

Reactions: jes2

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
But your insurance company could claim the non-Subaru device plugged into the eyesight system caused the collision avoidance system to fail and deny your claim.
Gee that's funny I wonder how many cars don't have eyesight? It's not like it's an NHSTA mandated safety feature. It's an option. Besides, the chance of the auto-stop eliminator affecting eyesight is extremely small. You're more likely to affect your ability to stop by using non OEM wheels or tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Or base your rate on the system working as designed.. then say you modified a safety sysyem. I have seen issues with after market bumpers causing extensive damag. Insurance companys saying your not cover because of the non noted modifications.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
301 Posts
Sorry to say that while that is a reasonable assumption, it seems like it's purely speculative on your part considering that you can turn off pre collision braking. Hardly seems like something an insurance company can hold your feet to the fire for when you can easily turn it off completely. Your experience is no doubt valid, but I think it's negated in this case.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Or base your rate on the system working as designed.. then say you modified a safety sysyem. I have seen issues with after market bumpers causing extensive damag. Insurance companys saying your not cover because of the non noted modifications.
Some folks just don't want to believe this sort of thing occurs. I saw it about 30 years ago when a friend of mine crashed a plane he had just bought. Both he and his passenger were killed. Investigators found an unapproved modification. The attorneys for the passenger's family had a field day filing lawsuits.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The FAA has nothing to do with automobile accidents last I heard.
But lawyers do. They love to look in to modifications when the damage is outside the norm. But what do i know i just work for tow company. I see our company payments held up because of litigation. All cars have black boxes that record crash data. Think of all the malfunctions that have caused crashes that manufactures are held liable for.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts