Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am new to the forum. i hope to enjoy our subaru for years to come. i have the mysubaru app. using it mostly to remote start the car. my question is, after remote starting it, and i get it, i can't continue until i shut the engine back off through the app, and manually restart. is there a way that i don't have to shut the engine back off?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
278 Posts
Not sure which trim you have, but assuming you have keyless (like most trims do), you just get in the car and push the start button while the car is still running from the remote start.

If you have one of the keyed versions, I assume it works similarly but with the key instead of button. Noting I could be wrong as Subaru has been known for not having the greatest remote start implementation over the years. My friend has an 18 Crosstrek and the Subaru remote start on it shuts the car off as soon as you open the door.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i only have the phone app. i tried simply pushing the start button, but still won't allow me to put it into gear. tried foot on brake first, still nothing.
i will probably spring for the keyfob version once my free 3 year remote app runs out.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
278 Posts
I also only have the phone app. You can definitely start it with the app then use the normal button sequence once in the car (assuming you have your key with you) to drive the car without shutting it off.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
356 Posts
After I start my car and get in, I notice my center display says something like “depress brake and push start button”. Does your display say that?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
38 Posts
i only have the phone app. i tried simply pushing the start button, but still won't allow me to put it into gear. tried foot on brake first, still nothing.
i will probably spring for the keyfob version once my free 3 year remote app runs out.
I also have a 21 Touring with the phone app remote start. Mine works just like TS13FST says. If I get to the car in time, before the time-out period lapses, I just push the start with my foot on the brake and can drive away. I don't have to shut the car off at all.
You definitely have a problem, possibly with your app implementation or the Park/Drive interlock not disengaging upon start when using the remote. I just looked at the settings I have in my app and didn't see any specific to controlling the remote start - park/drive interlock.
If the app works for setting climate and seat temp controls and time out period but you have to shut the car off and restart when you get in that's a minor inconvenience in my opinion. But you paid money for the app feature so you should be able to use it correctly. Bring it up with your dealer the next time you're there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our 2021 onyx needs the door closed, key fob in the car and press and hold brake pedal then press the start button normally to release the remote start control of the car.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,502 Posts
You definitely need to press the start button on the dash once you get in. You either need to press the brake when you do that, or just press the button, I don't recall exactly. Oh, and you do need you key fob on you (and active) when you get in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, i may be totally full of it. my wife just texted me and said it worked just as you guys are stating. i swear we tried all that the other day and it didn't work. although we were leaving a brewery at the time. :p
anyways, she's going to try it again at some point and hopefully we can get into a smooth routine.
thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
236 Posts
You definitely get in the car with your wallet/fob on your of course, press the brake in and press the push button start (as if your starting the car). It pops up a lovely "Ready to Drive" message, and then you can shift into drive and zoom zoom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts