Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2022 Subaru Outback in late August 2021. I've been driving regularly and yesterday, Saturday, drove to a park and the grocery store and woke up this morning (10/10/21) to a crack in the windshield extending from the passenger side windshield edge to the center of the windshield. No impact chip is visible, or by touch. No known rock or debris impact while I was driving. I have been very careful with my nice new car and this is extremely disappointing. I have not contacted the dealer yet.

Thus begins the 2022 windshield cracking?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,421 Posts
If there's no evidence of an impact point Subaru might replace it under warranty as a defect, presumably with OE glass, and including re-calibration of Eyesight. If possible get a dynamic calibration not just a static one. Dynamic calibration is performed on-road and is not simply a road test check to see if Eyesight is functioning correctly.

If you have a choice of glass, there is a chance that Pilkington glass is stronger - OE is Carlex which is a fine brand but given the stress crack if you want something else then Pilkington would be the one to try.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This isn’t a helpful response but you must not be in the southwest. I’ve gone 8000 miles on my 2022 without cracking my windshield which is a new personal record. Everybody here drives around with cracked windshield regardless of make or model.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,244 Posts
Im on my second cracked on my 2020XT. I havent bothered to get it fixed for a year now. Its spread all across my windshield. Ill fix it when I'm forced to. Im going to guess theres an impact there somewhere, but take it to Subaru. If they dont see and point out an impact point, they will likely replace it on their dime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This isn’t a helpful response but you must not be in the southwest. I’ve gone 8000 miles on my 2022 without cracking my windshield which is a new personal record. Everybody here drives around with cracked windshield regardless of make or model.
When you say "everybody", do you mean everybody with Subarus, or other cars too.

Honestly, I'm over 50 and have had many cars (Celica, 4Runner, Odyssey, Acord, 2019 Subaru, not to mention my parents cars), driven on many road trips, and never a cracked windshield for no discernible reason. The Odyssey windshield cracked but it was 12 years old, there was an obvious chip, which still didn't crack, until we had some freezing weather when I turned the defroster on high - crack! An obvious cause in my opinion.

If cars are using thinner, cheaper glass, and windshields are cracking because of it, that is a problem people should know about. That's a ridiculous design trade-off, don't you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar issue. Contacted SUbaru then they asked me to bring the car t9 near by dealer and get an estimate.

All covered by Subaru.
Also they sent gifts like Dyson vacuum cleaner and cookie basket with thank you card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts