Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks a newbie & 1st post on here, I am running a UK model 2003 Outback H6 a previous owner had fitted 215/55/16 tyres on vehicle but now that 2 are dead thought I would fit the Std 60 Series tyres.

Question is I have 2 x 215/60/16" V good condition & have been offered 2 x 235/60/16"s, with the permanent 4WD system is it possible to mix the tyre width with the same profiles ??, checked rolling radius calc & does show a small difference but wondered if I could compensate that by tyre pressure, or if vehicle Diff's would self compensate.

Appreciate any & all comments from you experience Subaru hands.

Cheers
Fishy

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
You should not mix tire sizes.

Subaru states all tires must match in size and diameter.

Get 4 new matching tires and sell the 2 better ones, or get 2 that match the better ones and have them shaved down to match in wear.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
What AWDFTW said. You really don't want to mix sizes. The diffs DO compensate, but the result is heat and rapid wear on expensive hardware. Millimeters count- get a matched set.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,945 Posts
Mixing sizes is a sure fire way to trash your differential in short order, the little you will save on tires will soon be spent fixing the AWD system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guy's thanks, guess it just confirms what I needed to know, will go look for 2 more tyres correct profile now !!

Mind you just saw 4 x 65 profile tyres on refurbed Mustang alloys for £100 which sounds a good deal if I can sell on the wheels !!

Cheers
Fishy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts