Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru OBW 3.0R LL Bean
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting some all terrain all season tires on the subbie in order to avoid going the snow tire route, the summer tires that came on the car are horrible in the snow. I figured since I do plan on using the car for camping now and then why not go with beefier tires that will do better in the snow and off road and can be kept on all season long...?

Has anyone tried the yok geolanders in this size? Is there rub? Too much noise? Gas mileage impact? Any feedback would be great...

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I highly suggest snow tires on a separate set of rims, but that depends on where you are.

Best snow tires I've found are Michelin Xice2 or 3. I have yet to find a good summer tire. TripleTreds were reasonable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm mostly driving around Denver and around here if it does snow it's only on the roads a day or two and then the sun melts it all away...so unless I'm making lot's of trips to the mountains the snow tires are not really that practical here. The Tripple Tread is a great all season road tire but not sure hwo great it would do off the beaten path...hence my reason for looking at the AT tires...

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
I have the Geolandar AT-S, and it is definitely the best all around All-terrain tire available for the Outback. I've also owned the General Grabbers. Compared to the Grabbers, the Geolandars are much quieter, just about as cheap, handle better on road and MUCH better in the Ice, and 98% as well in the rough stuff off road. How do they compare to a dedicated set of snow tires? No comparison, they don't come close to touching a good set of snow tires, but they are a heck of a lot better than many of the other all season options out there. Can't speak to the sizing issues since I have a different generation of car.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I am considering putting some all terrain all season tires on the subbie in order to avoid going the snow tire route, the summer tires that came on the car are horrible in the snow. I figured since I do plan on using the car for camping now and then why not go with beefier tires that will do better in the snow and off road and can be kept on all season long...?

Has anyone tried the yok geolanders in this size? Is there rub? Too much noise? Gas mileage impact? Any feedback would be great...
Yup, got them on my 2008. No rubbing whatsoever, though I wouldn't try anything taller since I think you would run into issues then. I would assume a 2005 should be the same.

They are fantastic tires. Very little road noise, awesome traction both on and off pavement, and I don't feel like a sharp rock is going to pop them. I run them year round and they're acceptable enough in the snow for my needs...much better than typical all seasons. Definitely not as good as dedicated snows, but I'd rather not deal with buying a second set of rims and then worrying about the TPMS. So far, treadwear is excellent.

This is my second set, actually. I had them on my 2004 as well (different size), and my mom now runs those on her 2001 as summer tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! I'll have a set ordered to my local Discount Tire and try them on the car...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Awesome! I'll have a set ordered to my local Discount Tire and try them on the car...
I think you'll like them.

Also, not sure about how it messes with gas mileage since mine isn't great to begin with and I changed from my all seasons in the middle of the winter where I was getting even worse than normal mileage. I can say they have much less rolling resistance than the General Altimax Arcitcs that I rain in the winter on my 2004, so I can't imagine you'll see that much of a hit.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I'm mostly driving around Denver and around here if it does snow it's only on the roads a day or two and then the sun melts it all away...so unless I'm making lot's of trips to the mountains the snow tires are not really that practical here. The Tripple Tread is a great all season road tire but not sure hwo great it would do off the beaten path...hence my reason for looking at the AT tires...
I live in in the Boulder area. While what you say is true, the roads during that day or two are terrible! They are ice packed and scary to drive. I feel like this is an ideal area for winter tires, and so don't most of the other people around here. Take a look at discount tire the first couple of snow storms. You can't get an appointment for weeks after.

Tom

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tssmith-Visit Discount Tire.com and put in yourvehicle information, and then look up optional tire sizes and they will get you a list of what will fit on your car...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
What size geolanders will fit on the generation 3 outbacks?
The title of this thread will give you the answer. ;)

They don't make Geolandars in the stock size, but these fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
Well I've just got the 2.5i which comes in 16" rims. I looked on discount tire and figured it out though. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Well I've just got the 2.5i which comes in 16" rims. I looked on discount tire and figured it out though. Thanks!
Ah, didn't even think of that--I forgot that they don't all have 17" wheels. Those should take 215/65 R16s, then.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I really like these tires, especially for rocky forest roads, but IMHO they are only barely adequate in packed snow and ice. The compound is simply too hard and the tread gets stiff below 40 degrees F. I tried mine in snow and would never use them through an entire winter, but they would be OK for a trip over the passes once in a while, if you are really careful.

OTH they are way better than the junk OEM tires in winter.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
I actually found the snow traction is be very good.

I drove from Baltimore to Pittsburgh during a heavy snow storm back in December without issue. Then the drive back was in a fresh 5-6" of unplowed roads through the city. Never lost traction.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
West and mountain states are very different roads in the winter than the east coast salt-fest. Here in Colorado they let the sun do the heavy lifting, and the roads are ice sheets during any storm. I suspect a similar situation for John in WA.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5 5speed
192 Posts
I had the ATS on a Durango I owned. They had very good traction in the snow. I would take road trips to Utah and had no problems getting up to the ski resorts during snow storms.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts