Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon - 2.5L 5-speed
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting new tires, currently I have the Kumho Solus KR21 and their off road performance leaves much to be desired. I do a fair amount of fire road driving and exploration in the desert, and everything on this forum has recommended Yokohama Geolandars for my next tire choice.

As the stock tire size on my car is 225/60/R16, and the geolandars are not consistently made in that size, I need to change sizes.

Basically, should I go 215/65/16 or 235/60/16? The 235s are about $13 more per tire which is not that big a difference.

Are there clearance issues with the 235 I'm just waiting to discover?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Either will fit.

I'd probably go with the 215/65/16 for the Geo AT-S myself, little extra sidewall could be nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either will fit.

I'd probably go with the 215/65/16 for the Geo AT-S myself, little extra sidewall could be nice.
According to my calculations,

215*.65= 139.75mm
235*.6 = 141mm

The 235 would give a slightly taller sidewall.

Both are taller than the 135mm stock sidewall though.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,919 Posts
I run 215/65-R16 winter tires on my '02 OBW, and they are fine. Slightly narrower with more sidewall works well in snow. Overall diameter is close enough.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I run Geolandars in 215/65 in the summer. They are fine tires!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local discount tire finally got the 215/65/16s in stock and the guy who runs the shop says he is concerned about them being too large and rubbing at the back of the front wheel arches.

He mounted one tire and then drove the car around in the bay from lock to lock and said he heard rubbing, but I didn't hear any.

Should I be worried about an ever so light rubbing when turning? The tires will wear anyway and I'm looking to get king springs to lift the car anyway when I can afford them.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Any sound was probably that of your AWD complaining about an odd size tire! Many people run that size, who are on this forum, with stock suspension. I did (and still do, but not w/stock susp). I bottomed out in turns. It can't rub unless you have something in the fenderwell that has been warped. The tire is skinnier (a whole cm!) and less taller than it is skinnier.

You will be fine :)
James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts