Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bit of a tire/wheel conundrum. My car came with a set of new Michelin x-ice tires (225/55/17) that I need to swap out for summer tires. Ultimately it makes more sense to just buy a 2nd set of wheels/ties so I don't have to pay to have the tires re-mounted 2x/year.

I've got two options:
1) A buddy is selling his stock WRX wheels/tires (~50% tread remaining) for $500 - the catch is that they are 225/45/17's, so I'd be driving a couple summers on a shorter tire before I have to replace them.
2) Buy a set of 17x7 outback wheels on craigslist or eBay and have new 225/55/17's mounted. Downside is that I can't get as good a deal on the WRX wheels that I like the look of.

I really like the look of the WRX wheels, but am wondering if I'll mess anything up by running shorter tires than stock (other than the small % mileage/speed difference & appearance difference).

Appreciate your thoughts. Apologies if this should be in the wheels/tires section - thought it was more pertinent to the Generation discussion.

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
XT's have a really tall final gear ratio....note your rpm in top gear at 70mph....if you put a tire with that much smaller of an overall circumference, you'll be revving uncomfortably high at the same speed. I'd stick with a tire with the proper overall circumference.

-r

1 - 2 of 2 Posts