Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Subaru Outback which had 225/60-17 tires on it. They were replaced with 225/65-17. Will this cause fender rub? There is about 7/16" less clearance.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
The dealer that installed mine removed the front mud guards and that was that.

Bear in mind that the actual size of the tire will vary by brand.

My stock size Geolander AT-S ran smaller than the Contis.

Then I put 225-65-17 Geolander AT-S with a nominal diameter of 28.5, which was really 28.35 or so, installed (the stock Conti is exactly as tall as advertized when new).

The tires still have 9/32" and thus should have a diameter of about 28.15. BUT, they now measure a paltry 27.6" vertically and 28" horizontally at 38 PSI.

I bought them for the extra lift which I need off-pavement, not for looks.

I wish the Pirelli Scorpion ATR which are now at a huge discount were this cheap when I bought the AT-S. Very disappointed (otherwise the AT-S is a great bland of off-pavement performance and road civility).

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,287 Posts
Using the search function, a lot of people seem to be OK with using 225-65/17 tires. Is this the general consensus? I know they say to stay 3% and under from OEM size, is this mainly to be sure the wheel can travel without hitting something?

I ask this because I need to get new A/S soon - next spring (I have a winter set) and the quotes I'm getting for the 60-size are unappealing (as high as $210 a tire for Michelin Defenders and that does not include taxes, balance). However, the 65-size has a pretty large price break for Michelins at least, down to 170 a tire. I did find a Cooper dealer and can get the 60's for $165/tire but they are out until spring (unless I want to spring for shipping).

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The 3% guideline is a lot of things. Speedo calibration, brake sizing, transmission gearing (less so with cvt) and electronic stability control systems are all predicated on the stock size.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
3 Posts
I bought a used 2012 OB 3.6 that came with 225/65R17 Michelin Premiers. I just replaced them with Michelin Defenders but Discount Tire put on 225/60 R17's, I am assuming because that was what was "recommended".

I think I want the 65's since I know they fit and could use the extra clearance at trailheads. A search on this forum said my speedometer would be more accurate with the 65's than the 60's which I think is odd (shouldn't stock tires be more accurate?). Anyone have anymore pro's or con's? Most of the info I can find is old. I'd appreciate something more current.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5L
57 Posts
225-65-17 size tires!

I have a 2010 Subaru Outback which had 225/60-17 tires on it. They were replaced with 225/65-17. Will this cause fender rub? There is about 7/16" less clearance.
Take a peek at my post about the New Kumho venture tires 225-65-17 I just fitted last week. I posted a pic of the removal of some of the plastic on the front mud flaps. There is zero rubbing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts