Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
New to outbacks
I'm looking at going 235 on the motegi 139 17" rims. I do not want a lift for my first set of tires . Oddly, I really pushed the limits with my old impreza bug eye ts, but I also have a cherokee that is lifted 4.5" and armored so I use that for rock crawling and hard wheeling. I want to change out the stock tires on this new (yay) 2015 premium to 235s...I was looking at 245's but I want just a little bit more wiggle room (if I lift later I'll change).

The options aren't nearly so great for 235's. No Pirelli scorpions ATs, or Terraincontacts in that size.

Any good advice from those who've had a set of AT's for a while?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why not BFG KO2’s 245/65R17 which will fit and is what I have on Motegi 139 with no lift and no rubbing?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lots of options in that size ...

Yokohoma geolander go15, Cooper Discoverer AT3, Kumho Road venture AT 51, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Firestone Destination AT, Nokian Rotiva AT
I personally have the geolanders and like them. I have had Firestone Destination AT on a Honda CRV and they were good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Adding my 2 cents and looking for some feedback, preferably from @MiddleAgeSubie

I have a '15 Premium 2.5. I put on Atturo Trailblade XT's ~35K miles ago and one of them is much more worn than the others and should probably be replaced before the snow starts flying here in CO. Overall, I've liked the Trailblades. They are 235/65R17s. Done some moderate off-road stuff (reaching the OB limit I'd say) and they were fine. Snow, they've been fine. Some wear issues in the last few months that I haven't loved, but overall, I'd consider buying them again.

That being said, I'm looking into other options. I drive a ton in the mountains in winter here in CO for skiing. I have friends that have the KO2's on their Grand Cherokee and Taco and rave about them. I like the idea of having a snowflake tire since I do a good amount of driving in the snow. @MiddleAgeSubie I just re-read the KO2 thread from a few years ago and wanted to get your opinion, since you weren't thrilled with the KO2s for a DD. I live in CO, communite ~20 miles on the highway to work every day, ski 40+ days a season, and camp and climb in the summer. I want a tire that stays on the OB, is good in snow, and can do ok on forest roads, with some light off-roading.

The Atturos aren't snowflake rated, but seemed to have done fine in some pretty gnarly winter conditions the past few years. The KO2's are obviously highly regarded, but heavy. I don't really mind road noise (the Atturos are quite loud, my SO regularly comments, but I don't seem to notice), but don't want to kill mpg, especially given I'm driving 140+ miles round trip to ski multiple times a week, plus driving to work. I noticed a ~2-3 ish mpg drop going from the OEM's to the Atturos (about a 6 lb increase), and the KO2's are another 4 lbs over that. I saw you post that you really didn't see a huge difference when going from more "regular" AT tires to the KO2s, but you also said that was about 20 mpg. I'm usually around 26 or 27. Is that just 2.5 vs 3.6 difference?

The other tire I've seen come up quite a bit are the Geolandar GO 15's. Snow rated, comes in either 235 or 225, even 235 is lighter than Trailblades, affordable, but not LT rated like KO2s. The amount of true off-roading I do is probably not enough to really warrant the LT, triple sidewall beefiness of the KO2s, but at the same time...I like being prepared!

Would love to hear experiences with the GO15's off-road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been running the Cooper AT3-4S in 235/65/17 on 17x8 Motegi MR118s since May. It's obviously too early to say a whole lot but the fit is perfect and they've handled everything I've thrown at them so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts