Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but can't find info on this. There HAS to be threads I'm just not finding. Looking to get a 17/8 or 18/8 wheel and go with 245s on the OB. It's a '12 3.6R. Experience with larger wheels or tire size?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i have 17x8" wheels. 18s look better, but 17s are lighter and cheaper. plus i go offroad every now and then and my next tires will be AT, not sure if ill get 16" wheels yet. gas mileage is about the same. get a good tire and youll be happy with the handling, the stock tires suck! also, i have 235/55/17 kumho ecsta 4x, theyre great. it is also my opinion that 17" wheels are the best, the only good reason for going bigger is if you have giant brakes.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Check your sizes.<O:p</O:p
OEM 225/60R17 27.62”OD 60mph<O:p</O:p
Optional should be:<O:p</O:p
245/55R17 27.61”OD 60.0mph<O:p</O:p
245/50R18 27.64”OD 59.9mph<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
What offset wheels are you looking at?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any thoughts on clearance? There are a few wheel designs that we like, it will probably come down to what we like the best in a xx X 8 size.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your sizes.<o:p
OEM 225/60R17 27.62”OD 60mph<o:p
Optional should be:<o:p
245/55R17 27.61”OD 60.0mph<o:p
245/50R18 27.64”OD 59.9mph<o:p
<o:p
What offset wheels are you looking at?<o:p

Oops hello.

Don't know for sure yet. I'm just window shopping at this point on Tirerack. I'd like a nice flush look rather than the tucked under look of the stock wheels. However I don't want a big fat tire look like the FJ has. The sizes you mention would only be 1/2 inch more on either side of the hub so I'm sure height won't be an issue. I'm wondering about section width. I'd like to have the widest tire on the car for traction.
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o
</o

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
To be clear, the OD matching is to maintain oem/speedo. Yes you can deviate from oem OD (to a point), as long as all 4 match. And yes again 245 is only 20mm/.8” from stock width, but in/out clearances are relative to wheel offset.<O:p</O:p
Myself (if/when I get a dry/summer set), it will be on 225/55 on 18x8, since we’re talking on an OB.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
my offset is +45 and it doesn't seem tucked under too badly. but i have the fender flares and mudflaps. getting mudflaps made the tucked in stock wheels look
not so bad on my evo. is your car lowered? i've never heard anyone complain about the wheels being tucked in with all that fender gap.

^in regard to last post, not all tires have the same specs. my 235s are about .9inches wider than the stock 225s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car is stock height. Driver doesn't want to lower it >_< .......
Once I narrow the tire selection down I'm going to be using Tirerack's tire specs to get the height close to stock and section width wider than. Have to decide on the wheels first. I've always driven Toyota SUVs and they all come with wheels tucked up under the wells, so the first thing I do is lift it then go with wider wheels, and real off road tires. However the OB is a different beast. It's got to be a car most of the time but be able to get through snow and dirt/rain without starting to look like my FJ.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i think you can get your speedometer recalibrated when you get an alignment. mine is off by just a bit so i'm not too worried about it. when i get bigger tires ill recalibrate it. if you just want to get through snow and dirt/rain, you should be fine with just about anything. just don't forget to turn off the traction control if you have issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think you can get your speedometer recalibrated when you get an alignment. mine is off by just a bit so i'm not too worried about it. when i get bigger tires ill recalibrate it. if you just want to get through snow and dirt/rain, you should be fine with just about anything. just don't forget to turn off the traction control if you have issues.
I'm not too worried about the actual tire yet, I'll do research on the prior to purchase. For actual 4X4ing we'll have my FJ. The OB is a go to Yosemite in light snow and drive through some pot holes that have flooded. No trails etc. I'm concerned with mostly fitment of the tires and clearance of the wider section.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The OB isn’t too bad even at oem +48x7, it’s probably why chains are not recommended due to this condition. Most cars are tucked in to accommodate chains. But using 8” wheels make it even better, reducing the gap.
And yes per bradze, tire sizes (and specs) are nominal.<O:p</O:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
GasGuzz
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing