Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry for the newbie post, but I'm looking to get a non-winter set of tires to wrap my 17x8+45 rims with.

I know I could stick to stock with a 225/55/17 setup, but from what I've read it looks like people generally suggest a wider tire on an 8" wheel? So I was thinking of going to a 245/50/17 since it's very similar in diameter, but wanted to see if it was a size that others had tested.

I saw one or two threads that mentioned the tire size, but hardly conclusive answers.

(I know the tire size is wonky and I'll likely pay more for it, I just want to get the most out of the wheel setup)

Thanks a bunch for reading 馃槄

Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
Sure why not? What you鈥檙e looking for is pretty standard and should be fine. Your tire diameter is the same as stock, which is good. Although your wheels will be closer to the suspension, it will still clear. My set up is 7.2mm closer and it鈥檚 fine.

You may rub the tire on the front inner wheel well liner just a hair on full lock (like when parking), but it shouldn鈥檛 be enough to rub through it. My 245/45 r18 +33 did just a hair, but my offset is more extreme. And it only happens when going 3mph.

I took some screenshots to help out a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
Your tires may also rub or be chiseled by the inner fender metal lip a little. Mine did a lot, but I have more offset. I had to roll the metal lip behind the wheel fender and add 1 degree of camber in the rear to get it to stop.

I think you may be fine, but just be aware.

I attached a photo comparing our wheel setups for more insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time out to share your findings. Makes me a bit more confident with the choice. However the wheels I will be running are +45 so according to the calculator I'll be poking out ~20mm less than your setup but another 2.5mm closer to the strut, which I think should be fine.

Thanks again for your info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts