Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, lost a belt today and the bottom pulley does not move even when a/c is on (currently no belt).

Is this the norm?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,561 Posts
Hi, lost a belt today and the bottom pulley does not move even when a/c is on (currently no belt).

Is this the norm?
You'll have to be more clear - do you mean the crankshaft pulley (C)? If so, the answer is yes, you are not going to turn it by hand with the belt removed. Everything else should spin freely, though.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,909 Posts
You'll have to be more clear - do you mean the crankshaft pulley (C)? If so, the answer is yes, you are not going to turn it by hand with the belt removed. Everything else should spin freely, though.

View attachment 474205
I think that's an EZ30D or something. It only has one belt. The EJ251 in all 2000 Outbacks had two belts.

It's also possible the user is talking about the tensioner for the AC belt. I've had those seize up before.
received_1705899449545762.jpeg

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,561 Posts
OK, 2.5i serpentine belt image below. The bottom pulley is, of course, still the crankshaft, and it won't turn by hand. The middle pulley is the idler and it should spin freely.

·
Registered
2000 Outback
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

View attachment 474205
Thanks all, trying to make sure it's not frozen to waste time $ and a belt.
Flooded out here and just getting back to Subaru now, sorry for delay.

·
Registered
2000 Outback
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's an EZ30D or something. It only has one belt. The EJ251 in all 2000 Outbacks had two belts.

It's also possible the user is talking about the tensioner for the AC belt. I've had those seize up before.

View attachment 474212
Yes, it's that one!
Is it supposed to be free moving when no belt is attached?
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts