Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,325 Posts
Not gonna get you much other than sound and a lighter wallet.

Factory set up is a (not extremely unrestricted) CAI anyway, and flows more air that a stock engine can use.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Factory set up is a (not extremely unrestricted) CAI anyway, and flows more air that a stock engine can use.
What are you basing that on?

Getting rid of the 3 resonators is what I was mostly interested in.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Go about a page or two into that thread. There are several variations shown, including ones that keep the stock air horn, like the one I did to mine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go about a page or two into that thread. There are several variations shown, including ones that keep the stock air horn, like the one I did to mine.
Very nice. I was considering ABS as well. Nice work.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,325 Posts
What are you basing that on?

Getting rid of the 3 resonators is what I was mostly interested in.
Basing what on? Looking at it shows it is a CAI, the intake is straight into the grill.

For the amount of air flow, there are assorted threads on the forum involving dyno trips and reading the computer parameters with fun software I don't have.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll accept dyno trip as evidence, but not looking at it and assuming. :)

As I posted elsewhere, I'm going to do some testing of the fuel economy changes (if any) when doing what Euchre did. I got the pieces tonight to do that same setup.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
I had all three iterations, the stock set up, the PVC set up, and the Cosmo. The cosmo is tinny and loud and actually seems to rob some low end torque. The PVC set up was $10 and sounds the best. As has been mentioned, the stock system even with all the resonators flows PLENTY of air for these cars. Its pretty broadly accepted among the turbo guys that you really don't need an upgraded intake until you go with an upgraded turbo. So in stock N/A and Turbo cars a new intake is really simply a cosmetic or sound upgrade. You're in Portland, if you don't believe us, go down and talk to the Rallitek guys, they'll tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had all three iterations, the stock set up, the PVC set up, and the Cosmo. The cosmo is tinny and loud and actually seems to rob some low end torque. The PVC set up was $10 and sounds the best. As has been mentioned, the stock system even with all the resonators flows PLENTY of air for these cars. Its pretty broadly accepted among the turbo guys that you really don't need an upgraded intake until you go with an upgraded turbo. So in stock N/A and Turbo cars a new intake is really simply a cosmetic or sound upgrade. You're in Portland, if you don't believe us, go down and talk to the Rallitek guys, they'll tell you the same thing.
Tinny with sound you mean?

As I think I posted, I got an OBD scanner that does fuel economy. I'll be doing my own testing and see what I come up with (if anything). :)

I can't imagine much of a gain at all. Fuel economy is my main goal.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,488 Posts
These engines already have a high VE (volumetric efficiency). The intakes are designed for equal air flow to all cylinders and the intake tube is designed for smooth flow and temperature control. If you want colder air for density increases it won't happen. The stock intake tubing or an add on will still increase the air temp as it travels through the heated tubing. Plastic do keep the temperature down more than metals, so you definitely don't want metal tubing.

Noise levels from air flow will increase with removal of the resonators.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts