Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 outback VDC sees the highway 500 miles per week. It has 2 stone shattered driving / fog lights - the round ones down in the bumper.

Should I just get new OEM's?
Are there good easy to install aftermarket driving lights made of shatter resistant material such as plastic?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lots of people replace these with Hella 500's. Seems to be a fairly common swap (and cheaper than OE), I'm sure if you search there are a lot of write-ups.

Maybe some Rock-Blocker (I think that's what they're called) plastic adhesive covers or something?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of people replace these with Hella 500's. Seems to be a fairly common swap (and cheaper than OE), I'm sure if you search there are a lot of write-ups.

Maybe some Rock-Blocker (I think that's what they're called) plastic adhesive covers or something?
Thanks for the reply.
Just today I purchased some OEM spec replacements with plastic lenses. So perhaps at least they will not shatter. Might look into lamp upgrade though. While I was at it I bought some Osram H7 replacements for the low beams. Anyone know of good lamp upgrades for the driving / fog lights?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Even with the plastic lens units, I'd add Lamin-x film over them. Obviously you're in an area with plenty of gravel and rock to be an issue.

As for the bulbs, if yours are 9006s stock, consider the swap to 9012s. Its what I plan to do when I get my fogs back up to snuff otherwise.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I got two TYC replacements from Rockauto.com , the are the full assemblies with the mounting braket, light bulb and wire connector. There isn't any difference between them or the stock ones I had, however I did tint them yellow and installed a set of 40 mill Lamin-X to protect them. They have glass lenses btw and they cost about $30 ea. Cheap!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Do the factory plastic grilles fit on the TYC units?
I know many people think they do 'nothing' to protect the lights, but to that I say I challenge you to lay on your belly facing the car ~20' in front of the car and look at the fogs. Repeat at various distances. Now you are looking at the fogs from the vantage point of that pebble of gravel that just bounced off the road and is on course for your fog light.
Yes, I'll still use the factory grilles tyvm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even with the plastic lens units, I'd add Lamin-x film over them. Obviously you're in an area with plenty of gravel and rock to be an issue.

As for the bulbs, if yours are 9006s stock, consider the swap to 9012s. Its what I plan to do when I get my fogs back up to snuff otherwise.
Hello

Would you mind educating me about the difference between 9006 and 9012?
I have no idea what the difference is. I am assuming the new fog lights will come with whatever bulb that was stock - i know they come with new bulbs but it did not state what bulb it was. The stock bulb seemed so dim it almost was not worth turning the lights on. I know fogs are not supposed to be too bright, etc...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The 9006 is a regular US spec bulb. The 9012 is HIR (High Infrared Reflective). The difference is that with the same wattage and very little difference in heat, you get a brighter illumination. The bulb life is about the same as well, unlike most over-wattage units of the standard design. There's no color antics either - no silly 'blue', just full spectrum and thus very truly white light. You need to trim the tabs to make the 9012s fit the 9006 socket, but it really is very easy. This thread details much of this, with links:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/10077-bulb-information.html

Your fog (driving) lights are meant to be low and wide pattern, fairly close coverage. This is best for seeing the road lines when conditions are obscured, and for seeing potential hazards approaching from the sides - as in animals, like deer, elk, caribou, moose, etc. That's one reason I like to run my fogs when possible.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 9006 is a regular US spec bulb. The 9012 is HIR (High Infrared Reflective). The difference is that with the same wattage and very little difference in heat, you get a brighter illumination. The bulb life is about the same as well, unlike most over-wattage units of the standard design. There's no color antics either - no silly 'blue', just full spectrum and thus very truly white light. You need to trim the tabs to make the 9012s fit the 9006 socket, but it really is very easy. This thread details much of this, with links:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/10077-bulb-information.html

Your fog (driving) lights are meant to be low and wide pattern, fairly close coverage. This is best for seeing the road lines when conditions are obscured, and for seeing potential hazards approaching from the sides - as in animals, like deer, elk, caribou, moose, etc. That's one reason I like to run my fogs when possible.
Thanks for your explanation. I believe I will do this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
FORANE
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing